Richmond Jumper Number Changes for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

The captain in 17 was a great tradition that has now been ruined by one player who didn't have the decency to continue on this legacy, instead being selfish and chose to keep his #9, subsequently meaning any future captain that would have wanted to wear 17 now can't because of a selfish act from Cotch.
It's hardly a tradition of 3 captains in over 100 years of the RFC. The fact that Cotchin was allowed to buck the "tradition" meant that it had already stopped.

The number 17 is so great a number at the Richmond Football Club that our current captain REJECTED it…
It's just a number guys.
I'd rather it go to a player who has actual family links to it.
It's in his blood, I can't wait to see it back on the 'G kicking goals.
He didn't really reject it, he chose to keep his current number. Big difference IMHO.

Love Townsend in the 21.
Tough number for a tough player.

Not sure why Cotch is considered selfish for not wearing no 17?

This has only been a recent tradition to honour Jack Dyer's legacy and even if every captain had worn 17, surely it is up to the player to decide what number they like and to create their own legacy?

I couldn't give a s**t about the 17 as captain tradition, it had been only going for a short time. A player should be able to make a number his own once he's earned it, or do a Foley and stick with his high number also.
Its just the special treatment that doesn't sit right with me. Every other kid has been told they have to earn a high number, Daniel has just been handed the most important number at the club because of his surname.

I couldn't give a s**t about the 17 as captain tradition, it had been only going for a short time. A player should be able to make a number his own once he's earned it, or do a Foley and stick with his high number also.
Its just the special treatment that doesn't sit right with me. Every other kid has been told they have to earn a high number, Daniel has just been handed the most important number at the club because of his surname.
Like i said in another thread he wasn't just "handed" the number and it was done infamy. He was offered the number as a mark of respect for the rioli tradition at tigerland and even then he didn't just take it. He went back and sought the approval of the rioli family in wearing the number 17. If its good enough for the rioli family for him to be wearing number 17 i really cant see what its got to do with any of us.

Like i said in another thread he wasn't just "handed" the number and it was done infamy. He was offered the number as a mark of respect for the rioli tradition at tigerland and even then he didn't just take it. He went back and sought the approval of the rioli family in wearing the number 17. If its good enough for the rioli family for him to be wearing number 17 i really cant see what its got to do with any of us.
I have no problem with him accepting it, I have a problem with the club offering it to him in the first place.
They should have told him it was there waiting for him once he earned it from hard work at training and holding his spot in the side... just like everyone else.

I have no problem with him accepting it, I have a problem with the club offering it to him in the first place.
They should have told him it was there waiting for him once he earned it from hard work at training and holding his spot in the side... just like everyone else.
looks like we have another agree to disagree moment mate, personally im quite happy to have another rioli running around in no:17 at tigerland. For me some things are so special at a club its nice when it comes around again 30 odd years later :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same arguments going on at PRE.
Personally not worried what number he got.

He has the 17 now so discussion should be closed on the matter unless we go round and round and round and round and round in circles going nowhere until our brains melt.

I'm happy he got the 17 but wouldn't have been upset if he was given another number.

how come blokes like yarran, moore and townsend can come in and get "low" numbers without earning them?

playing for s**t sides considered earning your stripes? i guess that is fair enough

personally i think Dimma's "tradition" is like the paleo diet

A Rioli in yellow and black, the number 17 back on the field and a Rioli wearing the 17. All in one. Perfection.

QONVIyz.gif

LOL your gunna be popular Rodney :D
Haha.
You know me mate.
Seriouisly who cares.
Sure it's a been a great number with great history, but it's just a number.
Obviously means a lot to the kid though so good on him.

Haha.
You know me mate.
Seriouisly who cares.
Sure it's a been a great number with great history, but it's just a number.
Obviously means a lot to the kid though so good on him.
Couldnt agree more mate, had a rant about it on page 19/20 of the rioli thread myself. If it makes the rioli family happy who are we to comment? None of us here has the attachment to that number like they do :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back