Richmond Jumper Number Changes for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the nostalgia of Rioli wearing the no.17 jumper.

At the same time, the club sends out mixed messages - why have all the other recruits had to "earn" a low number? It's a bit like the captain wearing the no.17 jumper and then Cotchin said stuff that, I'm wearing 9. The club then flipped and said it was a rule that didn't need to be followed. So why have any of these rules if you are not going to follow them consistently? To me, it shows weakness.

Anyway, I wanted Rioli to wear 17. I thought that would happen in 2017 but having it next year will be good for the club. I just hope we are not putting unrealistic expectations on a kid that really is just starting off playing the game. Obviously I would love the magic of the jumper flowing through Daniels veins and helping him achieve greatness.

Go tiges!

A number that should be earned by deed, not gifted due to your surname

Of course it'll be great to see the 17 out there, and I hope he becomes a gun, but even Maurice didn't start in that jumper.

Nup. Too soon.

A number that should be earned by deed, not gifted due to your surname

Of course it'll be great to see the 17 out there, and I hope he becomes a gun, but even Maurice didn't start in that jumper.

Nup. Too soon.
Not quite correct UTG. He started at Richmond in the no.17 jumper. Was there watching him play his first game against Fitzroy in 1982. He was wearing the no.17 that day. It's only after he was poached by Sydney but was unable to play because of salary cap issues that he came back and wore 27. Wasn't the same player in that jumper which made me wonder if the no.17 truly had some magic to it.

Not quite correct UTG. He started at Richmond in the no.17 jumper. Was there watching him play his first game against Fitzroy in 1982. He was wearing the no.17 that day. It's only after he was poached by Sydney but was unable to play because of salary cap issues that he came back and wore 27. Wasn't the same player in that jumper which made me wonder if the no.17 truly had some magic to it.

Is that right? Well bugger me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with this.
Rather than it being 'gifted' too soon and not earned, I see it as the club backing the kid in. It can go either way and could give him confidence.

The general rule that has been established that new players start with higher numbers can still continue but we are not talking about a relative of Kayne Pettifer getting #15 FFS. :cool:

remember when hardwick made jake king change his number because it was too high

more like hardwick was too high

******* off season

* off

Happy to give Rioli the 17 - just the kind of show of faith that could give him the confidence to make a real impact for us this year :thumbsu:

BUT... Can't help remember that Cotchin is a selfish prick for turning down the captains number - slap in the face for every past captain who made the change...

Happy to give Rioli the 17 - just the kind of show of faith that could give him the confidence to make a real impact for us this year :thumbsu:

BUT... Can't help remember that Cotchin is a selfish prick for turning down the captains number - slap in the face for every past captain who made the change...

Our club certainly doesn't lack for recognition of Jack Dyer. Stand, medal, statue, coteries.
But presumably this means the 17 "tradition" is out the window.

He'd want to get a kick.

The captain in 17 was a great tradition that has now been ruined by one player who didn't have the decency to continue on this legacy, instead being selfish and chose to keep his #9, subsequently meaning any future captain that would have wanted to wear 17 now can't because of a selfish act from Cotch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back