Richmond - What type of players do we need in the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiers17

Senior List
Oct 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
All Richmond supporters who and wat type of players would u take in the national draft we will have 4pics name em and wat positions we need
adc658472a8a0516f959fa00c8e0faf4.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wow, thread is off to a great start.

1. If you're posting it here it's for all to comment, not just Richmond supporters.
2. If we have to delete any more posts from those who have already had their comments deleted, they'll find themselves thread-banned. If you want to troll, bait and make personal remarks you can do it somewhere else.

1. If you're posting it here it's for all to comment, not just Richmond supporters.
2. If we have to delete any more posts from those who have already had their comments deleted, they'll find themselves thread-banned. If you want to troll, bait and make personal remarks you can do it somewhere else.

As a mod, have the OP edit his post to include all on Bigfooty. Otherwise it should be on a club board. Fairly simple I would have thought...

Make this an all-supporters welcome thread because it would be interesting to see what neutrals think about what type of players we need too. I will start off by saying that we need inside midfielders. I would also like it if we get a ruck as well (A state league ruckman would be great, but midfielders are a priority.

Actually, both inside midfielders and outside midfielders are welcome, because our depth in the midfield overall is starting to run thin.

If I were to drop names, then maybe one of Valente, Collier-Dawkins, Stocker, Ely Smith or O'Halloran at our first pick would look like a nice get for us. However, I haven't followed the draftees a whole lot so I'd rather hear the opinion someone who did.

As a mod, have the OP edit his post to include all on Bigfooty. Otherwise it should be on a club board. Fairly simple I would have thought...
To be fair the OP may have posted in the wrong place. It wouldn't be the first. I've done it.

On topic I agree with what I've seen from the better Tigers posters. Mids seem a good idea. It doesn't seem their gameplan to be overly specialized though. Maybe players capable of running through the midfield.

To be fair the OP may have posted in the wrong place. It wouldn't be the first. I've done it.

On topic I agree with what I've seen from the better Tigers posters. Mids seem a good idea. It doesn't seem their gameplan to be overly specialized though. Maybe players capable of running through the midfield.
That’s fair enough, however, when he initially posted it I suggested he should move it to the club forum. His response was that ‘it’s a free world’. The mod deleted my post. Not sure why.

That’s fair enough, however, when he initially posted it I suggested he should move it to the club forum. His response was that ‘it’s a free world’. The mod deleted my post. Not sure why.
Maybe just keen to promote traffic this time of the year?
At the end if the day we can ignore the thread I guess.

A ruck man would be a good start

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not really, wont impact for 3-5 years, while the window is open we need players that can impact now and within the next 2-3. We already have a young ruck developing drafted last year, Coleman-Jones who looks promising.

Best big midfielder available with our first rounder.

If we need a ruck it should be a mature age delisted or state league player as depth.

1. Its free for all to post
2. Unless of course you may offend Richmond supporters by suggesting they have a deficiency in their list.

Richmond need a key defender. Forwards are strong, midfield is strong, defense...meh. With 6-6-6 coming in your key defenders are going to need to be accountable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Unless of course you may offend Richmond supporters by suggesting they have a deficiency in their list.

Richmond need a key defender. Forwards are strong, midfield is strong, defense...meh. With 6-6-6 coming in your key defenders are going to need to be accountable.

We had the 2nd best defense in league over the home and away season behind Geelong so I think our defenders are pretty sound.

In the game against collingwood there is no doubt the team failed to turn up and we got the match ups wrong with Rance on De Goey (should have Grimes on him) and playing Astbury when he was clearly underdone etc.

Plus we have a promising KPD already on the list in Garthwaite who did a great job on Hawkins when Astbury went down with injury earlier in the year.

I think the midfield is clearly where we need help. As a team we ranked 17th in clearances per game and dead last in clearances per game differential. That's where out upside is IMO. We finished clear top of the ladder and we could barely get our hands on the ball at stoppages throughout the season. If we improve in that area we should see our team go up another notch or two.

We had the 2nd best defense in league over the home and away season behind Geelong so I think our defenders are pretty sound.

In the game against collingwood there is no doubt the team failed to turn up and we got the match ups wrong with Rance on De Goey (should have Grimes on him) and playing Astbury when he was clearly underdone etc.

Plus we have a promising KPD already on the list in Garthwaite who did a great job on Hawkins when Astbury went down with injury earlier in the year.

I think the midfield is clearly where we need help. As a team we ranked 17th in clearances per game and dead last in clearances per game differential. That's where out upside is IMO. We finished clear top of the ladder and we could barely get our hands on the ball at stoppages throughout the season. If we improve in that area we should see our team go up another notch or two.

With 6-6-6 coming in your key defenders are going to need to be accountable.

For what? the first 5 seconds after the ball is bounced? 6-6-6 is going to have SFA impact. How long do you think it takes a winger to run back into the D50?

Defence meh? Its arguably one of the best in the league. There might be one, maybe two better at best?

How many clubs can you name with a better starting 4 defenders than Rance, Grimes, Astbury and Vlastuin. A smaller rebounding, attacking defender is the main area of deficiency with Houli and Short good offensively but limited defensively.

For those who watch us every week, the back 6 as a unit are undoubtably one of, if not the biggest strength of the side.

The Tigers rarely have a spare back, they rotate defenders normally from what I understood...

The last time they did put a spare back they lost a prelim because they didn't know who to kick to when they got the ball back, they hadn't had to slow down play for so long that it seemed they forgot how to.

Grimes Astbury Vlaustin
Houli Rance Ellis?

Defence is very good, one of the best.

Last edited:
Midfielders - quality and contested

Talls probably look OK, unless someone really good drops to us. I will go against the Tiger fans in general and say we don't need another ruck. Nank is great. Soldo is as good as the good state league rucks around, and CCJ is seen as a potential A grade ruck by the club. And we have few that could pinch hit there. No major issue there.

We need players that can play a disciplined, fast, relentless style - all over the field. If they can play through the midfield I'm happy enough.

Unlike many RFC fans I also think more quality small forwards won't hurt. Develop more quality there knowing Rioli is heading to the midfield, and injury can hurt us in a key area of our game plan.

Overall, we've got a good balanced list and the future issues we know about are the likely decline of Cotch, Grigg and Houli. So we've got no great hurry to get some more quality mid sized players, but we will need them. Best available is the general rule for us I'd guess.

Good observation. I’m hoping Garthwaite is blooded next year to play that deep key defensive back role. Frees up Rance to play that loose Lever type role that he’s now probably better suited to. Can see him as an All Australian in this position.

A defensive midfield stopper is also required. I’m surprised we didn’t target a Greenwood type in the trade period and hope that we have a younger player like Graham training for the role. I don’t think this style of play is in Dimmas thinking though, which is a shame as we get cut up by midfield accumulators.

Add Lynch to the forward line and those two changes to the midfield and defence, and the makeup of our team changes quite a bit.

I’d like some quality inside mid talent to eventually replace Cotchin and Martin in 4-5 years though, and to provide injury cover in the meantime.

The Tigers rarely have a spare back, they rotate defenders normally from what I understood...

The last time they did put a spare back they lost a prelim because they didn't know who to kick to when they got the ball back, they hadn't had to slow down play for so long that it seemed they forgot how to.

Grimes Astbury Vlaustin
Houli Rance Ellis?

Defence is very good, one of the best.
Houli won't play a full season next year since 2019 will be he's and Griggs last so they can give others game time for 2020

Houli won't play a full season next year since 2019 will be he's and Griggs last so they can give others game time for 2020

I'm not convinced either of them ate best 22 anymore. If they are then we have some problems with depth coming through.

Between Menadue, Markov, Naish, Rioli playing more outside midfield with Bolton taking his forward spot, we should be able to cover the decline of Grigg and Houli.

Why?

They were still good in 2018. Let them continue while they are still quality. Grigg at times seemed a bit out of it - but then he's not the best ruck around. But when fit Houli was great. At that age some guys keep on keeping on, and some drop off. One year at a time from 30 on.

Why?

They were still good in 2018. Let them continue while they are still quality. Grigg at times seemed a bit out of it - but then he's not the best ruck around. But when fit Houli was great. At that age some guys keep on keeping on, and some drop off. One year at a time from 30 on.
I like both of em but we also have to look for the future , y have kids with ability playing in the VFL It's both definitely their last year in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back