Autopsy Round 1, 2018: Hawthorn defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Good solid win. It was great to see Gunston, Bruest and Puopolo start the season like that. These guys are in the prime of their respective careers and for a variety of reasons all three were down last year. With Cyril back and playing, and big Rough and Silk in the forward half last night reminded me of just how dangerous and complimentary to each other our forward line is. From memory, we struggled to put up 100 most games last season?

Impey looked nervous out there. Will be better for the run. Puopolo, Rioli, Breust and Impey in the one team is going to terrorize the opposition defense.

JOM was awesome. Think he tried to do a little too much with the ball but he will be better for the run and will build. He doesn't need to be the hero but at least you can tell he wants to be.

In case this hasn't been done yet:
View attachment 474450
I thought this was gold!
Watching the game on telly & the close ups on Treloar, Sicily got in his head... massively.
The composure he showed all night was exceptional & this moment was not calculated but very deliberate white line fever.

Hardwick flying the flag was my favourite moment though.

Gee, those first qtr clearances by JOM are fattening! ! Even Bucks bought it up as to the reason why the Hawks had more momentum for most of the first half.
And JOM says in the post match interview he needs to get match fitness!

At this time of year everyone needs match fitness
Jaeger is a beast, as he get that fitness he's going to be able to go like in the first half for longer.....

Anyone else notice that we never see Buckley happy in the coaches box, only when something goes wrong and he's having a moment. The cameras know what they want. Not really fair on him.
One of the reasons I have predicted them for the spoon.

They have a hard start and the AFL media will be all over any easy target(and there’s only so many years that the clubs and players can block it out).

Fantastic way to open the season. Truly a game we had to win given our fixture and we did it in style. :D

Here's what I thought of the boys

Roughead - A real concern
Mitchell - AFL Possession World Record holder. Every club would give their left nut for him
Impey - Finding his way
Sicily - Started the year in AA form
Duryea - Inexcusable brain fades
Burgoyne - I like him up forward too
JOM - Started with a bang, solid outing
Frawley - Bit of a worry
Howe - Solid, a few mistakes
Bruest - Back to his best
O'Brien - Not convinced he'll make it
Stratton - Almost BOG after Mitchell, saved many goals
Schoenmakers - Gutless, refuses to risk injury often
Poppy - Improvement over last year
Henderson - Surprisingly good
Rioli - Rusty but did a few Cyril things

Harsh critic. Sheesh.

Brilliant as usual. But perhaps it could have included what is ultimately the biggest thing to happen in the game. Mitchell's 54th possession.

Maybe a video of all 54 possessions would be nice. If someone wants to do that, *hint* *hint*
100% should have included that, that’s my bad. Was up at 4:30am doing this after being at the game so I wasn’t processing everything as well haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Schoey was brilliant last night. Very underrated performance. Is so important for our structure and fed the ball to our forward line beautifully. Lot of smart taps as well to keep us ticking. Rewarded with a goal after all his hard work.

All the S' played well IMO. Smith made some important runs that set up a couple and scored himself. Was surprised to see him do some of the harder stuff. Really was getting into the contest and laying some tackles which is unlike him.

Stratton would have been BOG if it wasn't for a record breaking performance from the non West Coast legend Mitchell.

Sicily was elite.

Shiels was probably the worst of the SSSSSSquad but still kicked a ripper.

Thought Schoey was brilliant last night. Very underrated performance. Is so important for our structure and fed the ball to our forward line beautifully. Lot of smart taps as well to keep us ticking. Rewarded with a goal after all his hard work.

All the S' played well IMO. Smith made some important runs that set up a couple and scored himself. Was surprised to see him do some of the harder stuff. Really was getting into the contest and laying some tackles which is unlike him.

Stratton would have been BOG if it wasn't for a record breaking performance from the non West Coast legend Mitchell.

Sicily was elite.

Shiels was probably the worst of the SSSSSSquad but still kicked a ripper.
That you’ve not noticed his contested work & tackling is well & truly on you - not him.

Reminder how important Poo is to the team. If it is true that he was up for trade and there were no takers...particularly GWS, they will regret not grabbing him.
He didn’t want to leave.

A late observation re Shiels. Is he somewhat bigger through the chest and shoulders this year? I was watching him in the warm up and thought he looked bigger but I didn't get to many games last year and can't be sure.

A late observation re Shiels. Is he somewhat bigger through the chest and shoulders this year? I was watching him in the warm up and thought he looked bigger but I didn't get to many games last year and can't be sure.

Generally most players look slightly more toned through the first few games after a strong pre-season. As the season goes on, players T levels drop away...weights sessions are merely maintanence at most and the bodies revert back to what you remember them to be.

Really want Schoey to back himself in more. You could see he was hesitant to kick for goal, proved himself wrong.

You think he hasn't recovered from cancer, that's the explanation?

I think he has had huge swings in energy levels and mental 'up-ness' the last 12 months. Sometimes when things feel right in his body etc, he can go alright. Many times he struggles.
Having been around not just my Mum but other cancer battlers and survivors, that's very common.
If you want to pass off the game as a one-off you'll be disappointed this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back