Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Would recommend listening to Mitchell press conference and not completely over reacting to round one. We created 28 scoring shots (something we struggled to do last year) and yes we needed to convert better and be more polished going forward - however can see what we are trying to do. He said centre clearances 18-9 was the key and a lot of them we got first hands on however it was a fumble or poor option that lost us the clearance and then put us on the back foot with field position. I see a lot of positives from yesterday as the things that lost us the game are completely in our control to fix and improve.
Was he asked about Finn as sub reasoning? I’m still bewildered by that. I mean clearly it didn’t work and was a wrong choice but curious as to why.

Was at the game. I had a fun day. Loved Ginni, particularly in the first half. Chol’s flyer was awesone

Strange that people are bagging McKenzie. I thought he had some seriously good moments.

Feeling a bit salty about not getting McKay. He was excellent

We will be ok.

Agree that Finn as sub on a hot day was bonkers

Last edited:
Neutral here.

It must be disappointing to lose a close one but some of you are too harsh. I'm excited for your team and its attacking style! You've got gun small forwards and serviceable talls. On a good day, you can outgun just about everyone except Lions and Giants.

Clearance and inaccurate kicking sucked but Hawks are looking good!
Brisbane are the least of our worries. Won our last 4 against them. The bottom half teams we always seem to struggle with

Just finished watching the game. Having read this thread before it, I thought we must have been horrible.

We were nowhere near as bad as people are saying, not even close. Our midfield other than Worps was poor and obviously could have kicked straighter but actually didn't think our defence or attack were bad. Infact I was very happy with how our forward line looked, it is so potent.

I'd actually go in with a basically unchanged team. Possibly Finn for Hust but I'm definitely comfortable keeping the same team.
Yeah we weren’t that bad and I agree - I wanted to see Ginnvan and Chol make a difference to our forwardline and they definitely did.

Pies will be salty about losing Ginni long term. He is bringing far more effort and flexibility than I thought he would

Maybe better suited for "Questions that don't warrant their own thread" thread, but I noticed that the umpire at all centre bounces was always coming in from the members' wing to bounce the ball (I'm sure they use to alternate wings), and also they were bouncing it on the very edge of the circle close to the member wing rather than in the middle. Anyone know why? [My mate theorised that it was so they did not obscure the logo in the circle for the TV cameras]

I felt we dominated significant patches of the game, but our poor finishing is clearly what let us down. We could never get any scoreboard momentum, conceding quick goals far too often after working so hard to get in front. That in itself was deflating. We let a very winnable game get away, but that's part of the learning experience.

The new recruits were outstanding, and the 28 scoring shots is something to be pleased with. That number should've been more had we not missed easy targets into our forward 50 on multiple occasions. But I will happily take that after watching us struggle to get 15 scoring shots a game last year.
So there's plenty to work with here, it just requires a bit of patience.

Right now our boys are young, once they get to the mid 20s for average age I'd expect them to be far more comfortable flying the flag.

We had a minor melee in the first quarter after they went after Sic, but at no point did it ever feel like Essendon were afraid to go after us physically.
I'm hoping next week we get Connor Bash and Duke Nukem back, but I'd also love to see more fight from some of our young mids, as well as more intent from our smalls at both ends to get under the skin of their opps.

We were well beaten at clearances/stoppages. We kicked poorly for goal and key players Lewis, Sic, and Newk had poor to average games and yet we only lost by 24 points. I was there and it was fustrating to watch. I feel there's a mountain of improvement in the team and wouldn't be too despondent about the loss. Ginnivan, Chol, and Mass real positives but we need to at least break even in the midfield to win games.

I know he is only 20, I get it, but for a No. 7 pick, Ward needs (and McKenzie for that matter) to be our next elite gun midfielder that takes us to the next level and a contender. Part of our next Hodge, Mitch and Lewis combo.
It’s not their fault, but I fear that when our turn at prize picks came along, the quality on offer wasn’t there to kick the list into the next level.

Fingers crossed they are able to prove me wrong, but we are currently pinning our hopes on a pick 45, an Irish rookie and an apprentice chippy who walked off the street (with Day to return obviously).

In the next 18 months Ward, McKenzie and Day, all high end picks, should be saying thanks boys, we’ve got this, we will take it from here.

I’m a bit concerned that isn’t going to happen on current evidence.
You have actually answered everything you need to know in your first sentence

Given our games from last year where we rolled over a number of times, it could have been a lot worse. We hung in there for pretty much the whole day. Super excited for Ginni an Massa, happy with Chol, Worps and Moore, and also happy that Frost played a reasonable game with no dumb frees. Get the forwards kicking straight and we could have won.

The most disappointing player for me was Sicily. Brain fades cost us 2 goals - and thats poor leadership. ( edit - it was 1 goal + behind)

Last edited:
Who needs quantifiable data, when we can just parrot something that one of the games great thinkers, Jono Brown, has said during a game.
Yeah cause Jon Brown never achieved anything and has no clue about being a CHF 🤯👍 unlike you of course 😂😂. Lewis doesn’t get to enough contests and doesn’t go hard enough in the air. If he did he would be one of the best going round.

If a time traveller told you prior to the game that Sicily, Newk and Lewis would have their worst games in memory, that we’d get smacked in the middle but we’d be +7 inside 50’s and have 28 scoring shots you’d more than likely say “that’s some real progress on last year! We must have won??”.

The negativity in here seems to have completely overlooked the silver lining in yesterday’s showing.
Being able to transition through the ground and getting a high number of shots on goal while not having it our own way in the middle or from our best players is a big plus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Finn was sub still baffles me.baffled me all day as Merrett cut us to pieces.
28 shots on goal though, defence worked hard with little support from the midfield and all the debutants showed plenty.
There’s plenty there to build on, but mids need to lift big time
How on earth can a bunch of idiots* on BF see this yet our coaches thought it was a good idea has me baffled.

* Most of us aren't idiots ;)

Yeah cause Jon Brown never achieved anything and has no clue about being a CHF 🤯👍 unlike you of course 😂😂. Lewis doesn’t get to enough contests and doesn’t go hard enough in the air. If he did he would be one of the best going round.
He still took the most contested marks on the ground.

I don’t actually believe he called Lewis a flat track bully. I think you were just talking s**t.

i have not seen anyone mention this yet, but i thought our tackling technique was very poor. Too many broken or missed tackles allowing * to thrust forward. Several of their goals came from missed tackles that good sides just don't allow.

Compare us to swans or Carltons defensive tackle pressure this round.

We also continue to rush at contests allowing the oppo to have get out options to create overlaps. They also scored at least two goals from this scenario out of stoppages.

It will be a long year if we cannot improve these areas,

One of the most overrated footballer of the 21st century.

Debuted at the beginning of a dynasty.

Only 1 Coleman and 2 All Australian jumpers, both less than Jack Reiwoldt if you want a comparison.

Had so many head knocks that he talks crap half the time.

Not worth listening to IMO.

I know he is only 20, I get it, but for a No. 7 pick, Ward needs (and McKenzie for that matter) to be our next elite gun midfielder that takes us to the next level and a contender. Part of our next Hodge, Mitch and Lewis combo.
It’s not their fault, but I fear that when our turn at prize picks came along, the quality on offer wasn’t there to kick the list into the next level.

Fingers crossed they are able to prove me wrong, but we are currently pinning our hopes on a pick 45, an Irish rookie and an apprentice chippy who walked off the street (with Day to return obviously).

In the next 18 months Ward, McKenzie and Day, all high end picks, should be saying thanks boys, we’ve got this, we will take it from here.

I’m a bit concerned that isn’t going to happen on current evidence.

Think this instead

Day
Newcombe
Mcdonald
+ one more dynamo mid

One of the most overrated footballer of the 21st century.

Debuted at the beginning of a dynasty.

Only 1 Coleman and 2 All Australian jumpers, both less than Jack Reiwoldt if you want a comparison.

Had so many head knocks that he talks crap half the time.

Not worth listening to IMO.
Yet would be one of the first picked if playing for Hawthorn, and be an all time great 🤯…key board warriors lost the plot this morning. Remove your rose coloured 👓 glasses

Yet would be one of the first picked if playing for Hawthorn, and be an all time great 🤯…key board warriors lost the plot this morning. Remove your rose coloured 👓 glasses

I'm not defending Mitch Lewis here.

I'm saying that if you line up tall forwards of the 21st century I don't have Jono Brown anywhere near the top.

Was overrated when he played and is still overrated in hindsight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back