Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Except Hogan is a lock for round 1.
Didn't we say that last off-season after he had won the Casey B&F and was runner up in the VFL goal-kicking?
His injury went from a couple of weeks, to a month, to a couple of months, to a season. Hopefully they've got him right, but considering how much time he lost he'll take a while to get back up to speed and with the nature of his injury the medicos will be reluctant to overwork him.

Didn't we say that last off-season after he had won the Casey B&F and was runner up in the VFL goal-kicking?
His injury went from a couple of weeks, to a month, to a couple of months, to a season. Hopefully they've got him right, but considering how much time he lost he'll take a while to get back up to speed and with the nature of his injury the medicos will be reluctant to overwork him.
Pretty sure Dez was being sarcastic there. They should absolutely ease him into it, and if that means the Messiah doesn't play 22 games next year then we can certainly cop that. He may look ready to go, but the reality is he's a kid who will still take some time before he dominates AFL games.

Pretty sure Dez was being sarcastic there. They should absolutely ease him into it, and if that means the Messiah doesn't play 22 games next year then we can certainly cop that. He may look ready to go, but the reality is he's a kid who will still take some time before he dominates AFL games.
I don't think Dez was being sarcastic. Hogan IS a lock for R1.

He's got a full pre-season to "ease into it", he's fit and healthy and ready to go.

Not sarcasm at all, him playing round 1 isn't throwing him in the deep end and there is absolutely no reason (at this moment) why he won't play round 1.

I never said anything about dominating AFL games, I said he's a lock because he's best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got a full pre-season to "ease into it", he's fit and healthy and ready to go.

Not sarcasm at all, him playing round 1 isn't throwing him in the deep end and there is absolutely no reason (at this moment) why he won't play round 1.

I never said anything about dominating AFL games, I said he's a lock because he's best 22.

Yeah his last few AFL games have been awesome

Sure, no arguments here about Hogan being best 22, but that doesn't make him a lock for Round 1 or any round after that. The fact remains that he is a 19/20-yo 0-game CHF coming off a lengthy back injury. He may be as ready as he can possibly be given those circumstances, but I will still be surprised if he plays more than 20 games in 2015.

Sure, no arguments here about Hogan being best 22, but that doesn't make him a lock for Round 1 or any round after that. The fact remains that he is a 19/20-yo 0-game CHF coming off a lengthy back injury. He may be as ready as he can possibly be given those circumstances, but I will still be surprised if he plays more than 20 games in 2015.

Agree with this, he'll be rested unless he completes an absolutely flawless pre-season - even then it will depend how he goes.

It does make him a lock for round 1, he's a best 22 player and you pick your best 22.

Nobody is talking about the season as a whole, we are talking round 1 so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Hogan is a lock for round 1.

It does make him a lock for round 1, he's a best 22 player and you pick your best 22.

Nobody is talking about the season as a whole, we are talking round 1 so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Hogan is a lock for round 1.
Alright then, all other things being equal Hogan will play round one. Thing is, that's a long way off - pre-season hasn't even started yet. That's why I'm not keen to say he's a 'lock' for a game in April.

Alright then, all other things being equal Hogan will play round one. Thing is, that's a long way off - pre-season hasn't even started yet. That's why I'm not keen to say he's a 'lock' for a game in April.
No one is a lock for round 1

Updated:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Grimes McDonald Lumumba
C: Vince Viney Newton
HF: Garlett Hogan Watts
FF: Kent Dawes (Fitzpatrick R1) Howe
R: Jamar Tyson N Jones

I/C: Cross Gawn Michie Frost

I'd expect Brayshaw to fit in right away, probably pushing Michie out. Pedersen is close too. In an ideal world Toumpas forces Crossy out R1, which would be sad but promising.

Depth
Bail
Riley
JKH
Stretch
Pedersen
Fitzpatrick
Salem
Toumpas

Injured
Trengove

Status