Game Day Round 1: Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns MCG , 1:40pm AEDT Saturday, April 4, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand all of that, but the game style we play it's critical that we have players like bail, he does a role that at the moment he is still one of the best at in our side
I know he is limited and I do know both mentioned will end up far superior players

The reason we minimized scored against last season was due to team defence, of which bail and pederson and other fringe players were key too
I'm aware of Bail's work ethic in defence. I'm also not discounting his inclusion for Round 1 and he may still see himself as a regular in 2015. This stemmed from you saying his kicking wasn't that bad.

The reality is that players will have to make way for the young talent coming through, and they will come through pretty fast. So whilst it's great that you want to defend Bail, you'll need to come up with some other names to make way if you see him cementing a best 22 spot long term.

I'm aware of Bail's work ethic in defence. I'm also not discounting his inclusion for Round 1 and he may still see himself as a regular in 2015. This stemmed from you saying his kicking wasn't that bad.

The reality is that players will have to make way for the young talent coming through, and they will come through pretty fast. So whilst it's great that you want to defend Bail, you'll need to come up with some other names to make way if you see him cementing a best 22 spot long term.

I don't see him there long term, I think 2015 will be his last year of serious involvement because this new work ethic Paul Roos is working into the draftees should take effect by then

Round 1 2015 Paul Roos will be expecting guys who can run all game and the new draftees will struggle to do that , and yeah I'm happy to defend bail because I think he is wrongly criticized

Taking bail out wouldn't solve the lack of run it would heighten it
Also his kicking isn't that bad, he is about the same as the majority of our list

Agree. His kicking and decision making are no better than average though.

Even though I currently have him in my best 22, if we can find 2 or 3 more runners who are better at hurting the opposition when in posession, I think he will be delisted.

Ahh the love affair for anyone wearing the red and blue. Bail is not important at all for run and carry, ive rarely seen him run and carry the ball. Has anyone got stats for bounces by bail. Bail is a grunt soldier, and very expendable.

Newton is a lock in my side.

Apparently at training him and Watts have been given the role of 'go to distributor' at times, would think that speaks for Roosy's thoughts on Newton.

Michie is one who impressed last year (for mine anyway) - seems a real footballer, I'd be interested to see how he goes this year.

Apparently at training him and Watts have been given the role of 'go to distributor' at times, would think that speaks for Roosy's thoughts on Newton.

Michie is one who impressed last year (for mine anyway) - seems a real footballer, I'd be interested to see how he goes this year.

You would hope him, Riley, viney, JKH, Mckenzie and others battling for an inside role would have spent the summer watching how Daniel cross makes decisions under pressure, if they can use the handball as well him blokes like toumpas and watts and newton etc will get the ball under far less pressure

Ahh the love affair for anyone wearing the red and blue. Bail is not important at all for run and carry, ive rarely seen him run and carry the ball. Has anyone got stats for bounces by bail. Bail is a grunt soldier, and very expendable.

I think he's a link man, rather than a run and carry type.

He'll run hard to get into position to link players with handball and the occasional kick (often errant!).

I dont think anyone is disagreeing that he'll be easily replaced once Stretch/ANB/Toumpas get there games together.

I've been out of it for awhile...who is Truck?

For mine:
B: Jetta Frost Dunn
HB: Lumumba TMac Garland
C: Watts Jones Toumpas
HF: Petracca Dawes Viney
F: Gawn Hogan Garlett
R: Jamar Cross Tyson
Int: Kent Howe Vince (Brayshaw)

That defence is laughably tall, and please don't give me that 'Garland/Dunn can play small'. They can, but why maximise their weakness?

That defence is laughably tall, and please don't give me that 'Garland/Dunn can play small'. They can, but why maximise their weakness?

Agree, one of Frost/Garland misses out.

Maybe Frost due to lack of flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too have struggled to fit both Petracca and Braysahw in. My gripe is no longer not including them, more-so, thinking it's silly to include them, as Grant suggested. You're right, the team is getting harder to pick, which can only be good.

Bail

I know he's the second best runner to McDonald, I know he's in career best body shape, but I'm not a fan. I also know he's coming off his best year and played some decent games, but a 15 possession/.5 goal game from Bail, with the odd shocking kick, doesn't overly do it for me. He can make way for a player that will end up twice as good. If Petracca can't take his spot something is wrong. Get games into the beast.

JKH or Kent

I like both of these players and see long careers, but 2 of Garlett, Kent and JKH is probably enough. There'll be times when all 3 play, but I can see one of them making way to get Brayshaw into the side.

I see you don't have Newton. I'd also have to get him into your team. As much as I love Cross, I'd look at giving Newton the berth.

Clearly it's rare to ever see your best side run onto the field. There are always injuries and the odd suspension. So all of the players we're discussing will play regular footy. We're really arguing at the edges.

I'm not convinced Bail is a lock for a permanent spot in the side - I think he doesn't do enough. It's gr8 he's a good runner, but he isn't a gr8 kick & makes 2 many mistakes.

Yeah...but realistically he's best 22. I think people are taking Round 1 as figurative rather than literal.
This. What's the use of a specific thread until the weeks leading up to it...

Maybe this should be a best 22 thread?

Make it a pick your own 22 from our current list thread because that's what it is.

hey yall, sorry if im intruding. just wondering how ben newton is tracking? I'm a fan, thought he had a place in the port side in the next few years, im looking forward to watching him run around with you boys.

hey yall, sorry if im intruding. just wondering how ben newton is tracking? I'm a fan, thought he had a place in the port side in the next few years, im looking forward to watching him run around with you boys.

Appears to be ticking the boxes from all reports, and on track for a spot in the 22.

To be fair, everyone will have a better opinion after the NAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back