Preview ROUND 13 - LIONS v CROWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly wouldn't be the first player in terrible form, to suddenly find it at our expense.
Hell, we even made a rising star out of Boyd.

Two goals from extremely iffy free kicks, a pack mark where Stringer had s hands all over the defender's back - unbelievable it wasn't paid - and a Joe the goose in the square after someone else did the work.

Keep getting dem cheques Tom...

I think Taylor will be pumped up for a big one after being spoken about like this.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/le...says-afl-analyst/story-fndv8d6r-1227413387908

I wonder who the analyst is? Isn't named in the article as far as I can see.

Come on Lewy.

While I think it is a fair enough comment, I also think that it doesn't take into account that (a) we often try to retain possession and Taylor does that, and (b) we aren't really generating passing options for him either.

If I were to assign "fault", I reckon it is probably 50% gameplan, 30% teammates and 20% his own instincts.

While I think it is a fair enough comment, I also think that it doesn't take into account that (a) we often try to retain possession and Taylor does that, and (b) we aren't really generating passing options for him either.

If I were to assign "fault", I reckon it is probably 50% gameplan, 30% teammates and 20% his own instincts.
Beat me to it, hard when your team is up against it.
I think numbers will start to improve in a months time when hopefully our injury list has reduced and we start playing better footy as team.

I will add that I'm not particularly happy with Taylor's form, despite the numbers he's producing. The lack of penetration in his disposals is a part of it but I'm more concerned with his inability to tackle and his seeming reluctance to go hard at the footy when it is there to be won. There was an instance last weekend when he had a choice to run at the footy or just run near it and he chose the latter, hoping to pick up a loose ball from a spillage rather than win a contest.

I know that he's young and undersized and so has to play a smart game rather than a tough game but sometimes, you just have to go when it is your turn.

I will add that I'm not particularly happy with Taylor's form, despite the numbers he's producing. The lack of penetration in his disposals is a part of it but I'm more concerned with his inability to tackle and his seeming reluctance to go hard at the footy when it is there to be won. There was an instance last weekend when he had a choice to run at the footy or just run near it and he chose the latter, hoping to pick up a loose ball from a spillage rather than win a contest.

I know that he's young and undersized and so has to play a smart game rather than a tough game but sometimes, you just have to go when it is your turn.
Hard contested ball isn't really his forte though. Someone his size should be the last one going hard at it. In saying that I completely agree with the 'go when it's your turn' analogy which worries me about Taylor cause he just can't compete against the mid size midfielders let alone the brutes.

I'm ok with Taylor's form as it reflects the whole team somewhat. Racking up possessions and gut running just about all the time tells me his heart is in it just his size lets him down.

Hard contested ball isn't really his forte though. Someone his size should be the last one going hard at it. In saying that I completely agree with the 'go when it's your turn' analogy which worries me about Taylor cause he just can't compete against the mid size midfielders let alone the brutes.
I didn't suggest winning contested footy needed to be his forte. But putting your head over the footy is a non-negotiable. Losing the contest is not the problem. Avoiding the contest is.

I didn't suggest winning contested footy needed to be his forte. But putting your head over the footy is a non-negotiable. Losing the contest is not the problem. Avoiding the contest is.

I think we play our wings to wide of the footy. We saw it in the pre-season with Roh and Jed and more recently with Lewy and NRobbo. They can be more influential than just linking up the play and they need to use it better rather than accumulating like Dalziell used to.

I'd completely forgotten that the Crows beat us by 105 points at the Gabba last season. We turned things around against Port this year can we do it against the Crows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide is blessed with a plethora of tall forwards, Walker, Lynch and Jenkins can be a formidable challenge. When you factor in the inexperience of the current Brisbane KPD's there is clearly cause for concern. Justin Clarke fascinates me, he's not your average footballer, but he's going to have his hands full on Saturday as he stands Big Tex. If I was Clarke I'd be doing my best to engage Walker in discussions surrounding such topics as nuclear fusion, the current state of the Greek economy or the pros and cons of genetic engineering. With any luck this will bring on a migraine rendering the Crow's skipper ineffective

Nice write up... ^^hahaha
Good luck. Hope we flog ya but not a walk over.
Fingers crossed no injuries either. We have both been hammered, more so you guys

Laying the blame on midfielder a bit Rich, says Leppitsch

"We've started him at half-back, lost Rocky (captain Tom Rockliff), put him through the midfield and a bit of half-forward, so we've mixed him around a bit," Leppitsch said.

"It's probably half the player, half us really.

"While he hasn't been at his best, I think there's some things we could do to settle him down a bit."

Rich played just three games in 2014 before rupturing his ACL and is still working his way back to full fitness, Leppitsch said.

"We need more out of him, and he knows that. He's not at his best, everyone knows that.

"It's for us to coach him through it, and him to mentally get through it as well.

"He needs to give everything he's got effort-wise.

"With Daniel in the midfield, he's trying to last out four quarters rather than give every contest his all.

"Sometimes when you're trying to do that, you don't really impact any contests because you're not at any.

"I think he realises when he plays his best football, he impacts contests, whether that's knocking players over or getting the ball himself."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-25/laying-the-blame-on-midfielder-a-bit-rich-says-leppitsch

I think we play our wings to wide of the footy. We saw it in the pre-season with Roh and Jed and more recently with Lewy and NRobbo. They can be more influential than just linking up the play and they need to use it better rather than accumulating like Dalziell used to.
It may also partially explain the problem we have in contested footy if we are either outnumbered at the contest or our "receivers" are setting up too wide.

Laying the blame on midfielder a bit Rich, says Leppitsch

"We've started him at half-back, lost Rocky (captain Tom Rockliff), put him through the midfield and a bit of half-forward, so we've mixed him around a bit," Leppitsch said.

"It's probably half the player, half us really.

"While he hasn't been at his best, I think there's some things we could do to settle him down a bit."

Rich played just three games in 2014 before rupturing his ACL and is still working his way back to full fitness, Leppitsch said.

"We need more out of him, and he knows that. He's not at his best, everyone knows that.

"It's for us to coach him through it, and him to mentally get through it as well.

"He needs to give everything he's got effort-wise.

"With Daniel in the midfield, he's trying to last out four quarters rather than give every contest his all.

"Sometimes when you're trying to do that, you don't really impact any contests because you're not at any.

"I think he realises when he plays his best football, he impacts contests, whether that's knocking players over or getting the ball himself."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-25/laying-the-blame-on-midfielder-a-bit-rich-says-leppitsch

Drawing a long bow here, but is that a lack of confidence in our hi-po staff's metrics? In the modern game I would almost say it's the coaching team and the performance staff that dictate the conservation of a players energy rather than the player themselves. Players are expected to go 100% at every contest and that they will be looked after via rotations for a bit of a rest.

Are we getting it wrong in regards to on field rest and rotations?

Aish, Andrews and Harwood for NRobbo, Lester and ZoB. :mad:

Good to see everyones keen...

In
  • Ryan Harwood,
  • James Aish,
  • Harris Andrews
Out
  • Ryan Lester (Omitted),
  • Zac O'Brien (Omitted),
  • Nick Robertson (Shoulder)

Aish straight back in, good to see Harwood back and happy for Andrews, maybe forward for him?

Lester hasnt lived up to his cracker game, ZOB makes way for Aish, and Nick shoulder.

EDIT: Dammit jackess, by a WHISKER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back