Autopsy Round 14: Sydney vs Port Adelaide 3 Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire isn't a fool - there's a reason Towers gets regular call ups to the seniors - he can dominate a reserves game with his leadership, speed and goal kicking. When he gets to senior footy that confidence seems to go out the window and he looks like a kid wearing his dad's suit. That suggests a self-belief issue to me. If we were rebuilding we could afford to give him time to find his place but, for me, while we're in premiership contention he'll always be a depth player unlike Jones who looks like he relishes the big stage.

Longmire isn't a fool - there's a reason Towers gets regular call ups to the seniors - he can dominate a reserves game with his leadership, speed and goal kicking. When he gets to senior footy that confidence seems to go out the window and he looks like a kid wearing his dad's suit. That suggests a self-belief issue to me. If we were rebuilding we could afford to give him time to find his place but, for me, while we're in premiership contention he'll always be a depth player unlike Jones who looks like he relishes the big stage.

The other problem is that if Towers does get it all together, Goodes is probably in his ideal type role for the time being anyway

I agree with that. He just doesnt seem to actually want the ball.

In the past I've been reasonably supportive of towers who clearly looks like he can play. Last night to his credit was the first game I've really seen him have a crack at defending and he did much better - most of his tackles seemed to stick and he did in most cases force his man to dispose of rather than being a turnstile. On the other hand he was very fumbly - but then so was cunningham last week. That passage on the far wing on the telly in the third quarter where he just had to take the ball cleanly and he was away with runners to his inside showed someone lacking in confidence

he really looks like someone who doesnt believe that he belongs at the level - and knows he will be the first out again.

the issue we have in one sense though is that towers, mcglynn, goodes, rohan, heeney, cunningham, are all competing for the same two roles in the team where we simply have none of them ready to step into shaws possie or richards possie. how you could have so many hff in one team is beyond me.

And whoever made the comment about mcveigh - I was a bit surprised about his performance last night - he looked really unwilling to take contests. He's not a hard at it player but he doesnt usually seem to step back - last night looked like he was just a bit reluctant to engage.

Nanka is clearly not ready for first team football on an extended basis. But hes had a crack at it and can clearly perform as a ruck around the ground - centre bounce he got monstered a bit but he looks like a compettiive person so may well be back.

Overall I was really happy with the performance but we owe a lot to keiran jacks acceleration in that final quarter. Although the parker, kennedy, hanners show got the votes I genunely think it was jack's will to win and to push himself in the last that got us over the line - we just looked like we had run out of petrol when he turned a few contests in the last.

1 : Harsh yes but I cant see us winning the flag , backline and rucks are just not good enough

2 : Shaw , Pyke , Teddy will be lucky to see out the year.

3 : Mitchell was fantastic on Boak , then racked them up himself.

4 : Tippett needs to learn to lead , look what happens when say JPK , Reid lead up at the ball carrier last night. Half the reason why we long bomb it imo is tippett is just to stagnant.

5 : Rohan gets bagged but his pressure will be missed

6 : McVeigh stay in the backline

7 : Jones replace Shaw please

8 : Parker is becoming the heart of this team

1 : Harsh yes but I cant see us winning the flag , backline and rucks are just not good enough

2 : Shaw , Pyke , Teddy will be lucky to see out the year.

3 : Mitchell was fantastic on Boak , then racked them up himself.

4 : Tippett needs to learn to lead , look what happens when say JPK , Reid lead up at the ball carrier last night. Half the reason why we long bomb it imo is tippett is just to stagnant.

5 : Rohan gets bagged but his pressure will be missed

6 : McVeigh stay in the backline

7 : Jones replace Shaw please

8 : Parker is becoming the heart of this team

Is there anyone who bags rohan ?

1. Longmire is right - this game is all about getting and maintaining momentum. When we bring the hassle, turnovers happen. At one point tonight, we were one on one and drove Port back 50 metres - then they turned it over. as we get more consistent - and we will - we will be very hard to beat.
2. Umpires gift momentum - but not to us. After our first goal, Port were gifted 6 free kicks in a row. The crowd cheers now at a home game when we get our obligatory free kick every 20 minutes. Annoying that we beat teams down then umpires drag them back into the contest by putting us on the backfoot.
3. the people that know know that we can win this year. Hawks are a bit down, Freo have chinks and we need consistency. But we're good enough.

1. Longmire is right - this game is all about getting and maintaining momentum. When we bring the hassle, turnovers happen. At one point tonight, we were one on one and drove Port back 50 metres - then they turned it over. as we get more consistent - and we will - we will be very hard to beat.
2. Umpires gift momentum - but not to us. After our first goal, Port were gifted 6 free kicks in a row. The crowd cheers now at a home game when we get our obligatory free kick every 20 minutes. Annoying that we beat teams down then umpires drag them back into the contest by putting us on the backfoot.
3. the people that know know that we can win this year. Hawks are a bit down, Freo have chinks and we need consistency. But we're good enough.
I am convinced that Pannell has a bias against us. My theory is that being the only NSW umpire he's trying way too hard to show he's not biased towards us but leans too far the other way as an over correction

I tend to agree, but despite our deficiencies I still really only consider the Hawks to be better than we are. I think we're level pegging with Freo.

We can win the flag but it's probably going to take a little luck. Like Hawthorn missing out on top 4 or dropping their bundle in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree, but despite our deficiencies I still really only consider the Hawks to be better than we are. I think we're level pegging with Freo.

We can win the flag but it's probably going to take a little luck. Like Hawthorn missing out on top 4 or dropping their bundle in the finals.

Yep, so much luck involved. Imagine if we had come up against Adelaide in 05/06.

Yep, so much luck involved. Imagine if we had come up against Adelaide in 05/06.
Agreed - and on the flipside, imagine if Port kicked one more goal in the prelim last year.

I am convinced that Pannell has a bias against us. My theory is that being the only NSW umpire he's trying way too hard to show he's not biased towards us but leans too far the other way as an over correction

Did you write that with your tin foil hat on or off?
;)

1- Zak Jones. I love this kid. He's tough and doesn't take s**t from noone. I want him to stay in the side, I believe he will be big for us against the top teams and matches.
2 - Dean Towers. He try's hard but just doesn't have the composure for the top league. Does some nice things but just fumbles to ball too much.
3 - Nankervis. Not a bad debut but has some ways to go to be a regular contributor. Give him a couple of years and he will be decent. Needs to fix that kicking style though.
4 - Look I don't care who the opposition was, that was probably one of our best wins this year. To the swans supporters that say we have lost our heart and blood spirit were proven wrong tonight. Players stepped up big in big moments.
5 - Games likes this tell you that Goodes is needed in finals time. The moment is not too big for him at all.
6 - I know Teddy didn't have the best game before he got knocked out but I'm going to say in his defense when he got knocked out of the way and led to marks inside 50 for Port, I bet you if Franklin and Tippett did that they would've been called push in the back #justsaying
7 - Jetta would be a superstar if he could get his own ball, he avoids contact all the time and it's frustrating.
8 - Sorry Shaw but you need to go mate.

1. We are going through a rut at the moment with some players lacking confidence (Shaw looks lost).
2. Pyke wasn't fully fit but if you thought he was poor Lobbe and Ryder weren't crash hot.
3. Our midfield makes up for our other deficiencies.

A good thing to do to take mind off Phil Walsh tragedy.

1. Goodes' straight line speed is still very good, he'll probably have it in his retirement. His defensive pressure and turning circle as the game goes on are a concern. His tackles no longer consistently stick, he's sticking his arm out more and more (McVeigh style....) rather than putting his body into them. Our game plan has so much to do with tackling and defensive pressure.

2. Granted they were from only 10-15 yards out on a slight angle, but Reid looks more confident with the Stevie J round the corner style of kicking than his set shot drop punt.

3. Hope Broadbent gets everything coming to him (and great to see Jetta getting angry), but Schulz showed a fair bit of concern and class after knocking out Richards. He'll probably get weeks because the head is sacrosanct, but I didn't think the tackle was bad. I don't think we even got a free??

1- Zak Jones. I love this kid. He's tough and doesn't take s**t from noone. I want him to stay in the side, I believe he will be big for us against the top teams and matches.
2 - Dean Towers. He try's hard but just doesn't have the composure for the top league. Does some nice things but just fumbles to ball too much.
3 - Nankervis. Not a bad debut but has some ways to go to be a regular contributor. Give him a couple of years and he will be decent. Needs to fix that kicking style though.
4 - Look I don't care who the opposition was, that was probably one of our best wins this year. To the swans supporters that say we have lost our heart and blood spirit were proven wrong tonight. Players stepped up big in big moments.
5 - Games likes this tell you that Goodes is needed in finals time. The moment is not too big for him at all.
6 - I know Teddy didn't have the best game before he got knocked out but I'm going to say in his defense when he got knocked out of the way and led to marks inside 50 for Port, I bet you if Franklin and Tippett did that they would've been called push in the back #justsaying
7 - Jetta would be a superstar if he could get his own ball, he avoids contact all the time and it's frustrating.
8 - Sorry Shaw but you need to go mate.
That's a pretty fair review in my opinion. I think most of us wouldn't mind seeing point 1 & 8 be combined in the next week or two.

1. Just once I would like the umpiring to be consistent. I can cop soft calls against us if we get the same treatment the other way, but this never happens.

2. Nanka and Jones look like they belong, Towers still yet to prove himself. Shaw HAS to be on notice. He is in the team for his "experience" but taking on players on the kick out was a joke.

3. Swans have heart - Tip and Bud out, Rohan and Ted injured. Players stood up when it counted. Whenever Swans posters question our place in season 2015, I'll point out our four quarter performance against Port in round 2, and against Port in round 14. Poor Poort...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back