Autopsy Round 14 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone describe how his game plan is different to what we had last year?

Well there actually IS one for a start
He certainly puts players behind the ball in defence.
Demands forward line pressure
Always has had a defence first policy which is the basis of all good teams
EVERYONE is accountable
Defensive running a necessity not an occasional effort
To be honest I could never work out if Bluey actually knew what he was doing on gameday
It always seemed our wins were based on individual efforts rather than team structure
I like that with Rocket I feel like we've got the smartest football guy in the ground

Last edited:
The difference between Rocket Mk1 and Mk2 is that he seems comfortable with a more expansive high risk game at various times during the match
It wasn't a hallmark at teh Swans or WBs
I suspect he has a bit more to work with with our players

Well there is one for a start
EVERYONE is accountable
To be honest I could never work out if Bluey actually knew what he was doing on gameday
It always seemed our wins were based on individual efforts rather than team structure
I like that with Rocket I feel like we've got the smartest football guy in the ground

Cheers SandyToes. I caught the last quarter yesterday and it was too exciting for me to really analyse the game style. Appreciate your analysis mate.

Well there is one for a start
EVERYONE is accountable

Yeah pretty much this. With Bluey, he'd talk about taking teams on and attacking up the guts, yet on gameday we would continuously go around the boundary, with stoppage after stoppage.
With Rocket, he likes to load up from defence and break the lines after a turnover. That's why Saad has been so brilliant this season, and kk has picked up his form after the team got used to playing this way. Our list is built very well for this style of play and I think that is why we are attacking more than normal rocket coached teams.
But that's pretty much based on yesterdays game so who knows if it was a fluke or not.

Yeah pretty much this. With Bluey, he'd talk about taking teams on and attacking up the guts, yet on gameday we would continuously go around the boundary, with stoppage after stoppage.
With Rocket, he likes to load up from defence and break the lines after a turnover. That's why Saad has been so brilliant this season, and kk has picked up his form after the team got used to playing this way. Our list is built very well for this style of play and I think that is why we are attacking more than normal rocket coached teams.
But that's pretty much based on yesterdays game so who knows if it was a fluke or not.

Saad and KK are the perfect players for Rocket's plan, then. I'd say they are his two most valued players. Absolute jets in defence.

Saad and KK are the perfect players for Rocket's plan, then. I'd say they are his two most valued players. Absolute jets in defence.

It's no surprise that Rocket always rated Harbrow even at The Dogs because this is what he does
The difference is that Saad and KK have delivery quality as well
You apply python like pressure and as soon as the inevitable error comes, the mistake is capitalised on by blistering speed and carry out of defence
Other coaches will look to the sideways kick or chain of handpasses to retain position while the midfield and forwards reset upfield
Rocket actually seems to trust our forwards in a one on one which is also a major change for us
I noticed even Maysie had a couple of carry runs last night

It's no surprise that Rocket always rated Harbrow even at The Dogs because this is what he does
The difference is that Saad and KK have delivery quality as well
You apply python like pressure and as soon as the inevitable error comes, the mistake is capitalised on by blistering speed and carry out of defence
Other coaches will look to the sideways kick or chain of handpasses to retain position while the midfield and forwards reset upfield
Rocket actually seems to trust our forwards in a one on one which is also a major change for us
I noticed even Maysie had a couple of carry runs last night

Dickson is one hell of a contested Mark. I'd trust him too!

Well there actually IS one for a start
EVERYONE is accountable
Good post Sandy Toes. All of what you said plus opposition teams are entering their 50 wider than previous years. Also our turnovers aren't automatic goals anymore. We have structure behind the ball.

19424996342_9af2c1b0aa_z.jpg

Welcome back Champ!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the first game when overseas but been at all other home games and as hard (and frustrating) as it has been watching some weeks, this season may actually be a blessing in disguise. Players have played when they otherwise may not have and mid-tier players have had to step up as leaders and take responsibility they would have otherwise would leave to others. I think this is one of the reasons that when some of our top players return it doesn't take much for the overall team level to improve exponentially.

Those players who have played this year have now been able to learn the Eade game plan first hand under game pressure as well, so with a fit and healthy list next year (fingers crossed) the Suns could potentially catapult up the ladder.

As for the game yesterday, it was a joy to see 'watchable' footy again.

Was slightly apprehensive about Gazza in the first quarter because he looked very nervous about putting himself in a position to tackle or be tackled. But as the game went on and he worked his way into the game you could virtually see his confidence in his shoulder growing to the point where he seemed to think "yeah I'm fine .... time to put the hammer down". It was simply brilliant to watch.

...... and after watching the final 1/3 of last season followed up by the first 1/2 of this season, it was just that little bit sweeter.

Missed the first game when overseas but been at all other home games and as hard (and frustrating) as it has been watching some weeks, this season may actually be a blessing in disguise. Players have played when they otherwise may not have and mid-tier players have had to step up as leaders and take responsibility they would have otherwise would leave to others. I think this is one of the reasons that when some of our top players return it doesn't take much for the overall team level to improve exponentially.

Those players who have played this year have now been able to learn the Eade game plan first hand under game pressure as well, so with a fit and healthy list next year (fingers crossed) the Suns could potentially catapult up the ladder.

As for the game yesterday, it was a joy to see 'watchable' footy again.

Was slightly apprehensive about Gazza in the first quarter because he looked very nervous about putting himself in a position to tackle or be tackled. But as the game went on and he worked his way into the game you could virtually see his confidence in his shoulder growing to the point where he seemed to think "yeah I'm fine .... time to put the hammer down". It was simply brilliant to watch.

...... and after watching the final 1/3 of last season followed up by the first 1/2 of this season, it was just that little bit sweeter.
really good post thanks
A lot of us "long-timers" felt this season was coming
There is a judgement day for everyone(sorry to get biblical!)
Whether or not we go on as a Club I feel we are on a much stronger footing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back