Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood at Metricon Stadium, Saturday 2nd July, 7:25pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I was sad at the siren. Sad on the walk to my car. Sad on drive home. And now sad on my couch.

I hate being sad
It sucks caring so much :( we have lots to look forward to though. We are on the up and are looking the best we have in our short history, next year is go time.

I hate injuries, especially ACLs. We got 3 last year and 3 this year.
The club incidence of ACL injuries in the AFL has been consistent over the past decade with just under one (0.8) injury per club per season.

I had one try to fight me near the bus line - had his wife and two kids (under 10)with him to.

Backed up pretty quick when I said let’s go, haha

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not shocked really, Gutless of them.

I was really in the mood to go if someone was dumb enough to try it, Tonight really cut through me

Just got in the door 1am, Not sure if I can make it back for another game before I go away this year. Really wanted this one.

Really needed a win.

Bloody hell. So close yet so far. It was another good and hard-fought game from both teams.

Shattered after the game. The injury curse on top of it. Budarick’s ACL on the same knee is a killer. It looks like Ainsworth twisted ankle outward as he landed. Hopefully nothing too serious.

I felt like despite a great start we looked tired in the first half. Possibly Port game took a lot out of boys on 6-day break.

Credit to boys they worked into it and had Collingwood exactly where we wanted them in the last quarter. Then we lost composure and let it slip. Collingwood were better on outside, spread but inside we were good.

Boys were shattered and pissed off. Another painful lesson.

I am pretty sure there were only a couple of games this season where we converted our opportunities. It’s a real issue. We can’t afford to miss easy set shots against good teams.

I also feel like Anderson, Rowell, Miller, Swallow, Witts are improving synergy in the middle with every game. Considering how young and inexperienced Anderson and Rowell are I can't wait to see how they go with 100 games under their belt.

Rankine is blessed by footy God. OK, I am happy to over-pay him just to be able to watch him on my team.

I can’t complain too much about this season except that close games are not good for my health.
We are watchable, competitive and were in all games bar one. Definitely progress. Unfortunately, injuries mount again.

Let’s see how we go for the rest of season. How many games do we win? Will we re-sign Dew? I still think we need to win min 10 games, better 11 for Dew to stay. We don't want to fall off the cliff in remaining games.

Surely, with some luck we can beat Tigers. It has to turn.

Last edited:
We lost that game… Collingwood we’re not the better team. Them and port are the most feral supporters, had two get arrested for trying to start a fight around where I was sitting and completely ruined the atmosphere for everyone in the area.

What frustrated me no end was a couple of our players marking it 48m out only to chip it to a contested situation literally 5m out from goal which inevitably gets punched through.

Chol a main offender. The guy can easily kick it 55m. Should have just wheeled into his left and gone bang.

Anderson also did it.

Also one of Levi mark inside 50 left him 30m out quite tight angle on wrong side for a right footer - probably a 30% chance of kicking it. Had rankine screaming for an easy chip kick 15m in board with no pies player nearby - should have given it. Casboult hit the post.

Finally markov had a particularly bad game. Fumbles or poor kicks from defense cost us at least 3 shots at goal against.

Still fuming we let that slip.

Unfortunately though I think we lost that one before the ball was bounced.

Massive Saturday night game, finals on the line, and Dew brings in two debutants who were not banging the door down in the VFL and who he clearly didn’t trust? We were essentially playing two down on the bench from the start.

Once again we got carved up on the outside because we are cramming midfielders on the wing who can’t hold their width and get sucked in at all times. Lost count of the amount of times Josh Daicos was just chilling out there with no one within 10m of him.

Our forwards let the ball out of the forward line far too easy.

And we desperately need Thompson back (which is a concern given he is made of glass). The defence is just at sea with Graham in his place.

Anyway, rant over.

Rankine is nearing Harley as the most exciting player I have watched play for the Suns.

Massive Saturday night game, finals on the line, and Dew brings in two debutants who were not banging the door down in the VFL and who he clearly didn’t trust? We were essentially playing two down on the bench from the start.

Once again we got carved up on the outside because we are cramming midfielders on the wing who can’t hold their width and get sucked in at all times. Lost count of the amount of times Josh Daicos was just chilling out there with no one within 10m of him.

And we desperately need Thompson back (which is a concern given he is made of glass). The defence is just at sea with Graham in his place.

Anyway, rant over.

Rankine is nearing Harley as the most exciting player I have watched play for the Suns.
Playing 2 debutantes really surprised me.
I would be filthy if I were Constable or Hollands.
If Thompson was anywhere near fit he should have played for structure.
If Tsitas doesn't get dropped you know the selection committee has lost the plot.

I fear you’re dead on here I’ve liked everything I’ve seen on him from the twos in the last two years and weird selection considering we have both ranks and rosas in
I’m fearing a bad not up to this level game but we have been pretty next man up this year so hopefully he gives it a good crack
Sharp & Holland’s stiff to not get this nod
Agree - I thought before the game we only needed two 'mossies' in the fleet and that would be Rosas and Rankine. Made no sense then and makes even less sense now. Poor selection helped lose this one - which we could have and should have won. Sharp, Corbett, Hollands, Constable, Burgess - even Sexton - all would have been better picks. Tsitas not given any significant on ground time also made no sense - why bring in an untried player and then sit him on the pine.

Anyway, rant over.

Totally agree. I forgot in my last post to highlight again how 'panicked' Collins is when Caleb's down back. Rory Thompson had to come in but again Dew makes the wrong call. Graham should not be in next week's team - along with a number of others. If he's so keen on 'tsting' new guys in important games - let's see what Hollands, Constable, Sharp and a guy called Lukosius can deliver. I'm stunned that Jack wasn't called up when they replaced Burgess. Poor coaching....

Totally agree. I forgot in my last post to highlight again how 'panicked' Collins is when Caleb's down back. Rory Thompson had to come in but again Dew makes the wrong call. Graham should not be in next week's team - along with a number of others. If he's so keen on 'tsting' new guys in important games - let's see what Hollands, Constable, Sharp and a guy called Lukosius can deliver. I'm stunned that Jack wasn't called up when they replaced Burgess. Poor coaching....
After being out a month plus on a wet ground that in two games have taken about 4 limbs from players?

Not a ******* chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are starting to take their toll again. Some of the depth players aren't really up to it unfortunately. You can get away with a couple playing and cover it, but we're missing too many best 22 players. I thought Markov was poor last night. Both he and Graham can't be trusted to kick it.

Don't understand the selections either. Why play Tsistas and O'ea for 35 and 49% TOG? I'm no Fiorini fan, but at least he can last the game. Both Hollands and Sharp would have been no worse and probably better. It just asks too much of the the top 5-6 players in the team. Noah is a beast but 93% TOG is too much for example.

It was still a great effort to run an in form Collingwood close, and but for some poor kicking at goal it would have been a win. The less said about the ump's in the last few minutes the better, other to say that's two weeks in a row we've been on the end of poor decisions.

Suspect Luko will be needed at CHB now with Budda and Weller both out. We need someone who can kick back there. Or Atkins maybe :sick:

Still feel gutted. Especial for Budarick. Footy can be an ass. Felt like we should of won the last 2 weeks which would of put us in finals contention (Just needed the rub of the green instead of brown) Run home will be tough with a mounting injury list.
We are that close to finals footy it aches. In for a big off season and even bigger trade period to try and plug some obvious holes in our list. GO the SUNS.

To blame Collins poor form on Caleb is ridiculous, IMO (just a different opinion, don't take it personally). Collins did not play well the last 4-5 games and in some games before Thompson played his 2 and half games. Simple to me.

Yes, Collins is a great leader and I love him to bits like other supporters do but that does not mean he is untouchable and I can't see his struggles. Without watching re-play, I would even probably had Graham ahead of Collins yesterday. Let's see what re-play shows but it seems he was constantly panicking, with some ordinary kicks/decisions, mis-timing spoils, struggling to stay with/cover players. Yet, some people put it on Graham? It should be the other way. Graham should be getting confidence from Collins.

But the way, I thought Thompson as obvious Graham replacement was good in first game back against GWS in VFL but terrible last weekend against Casey. No urgency and Mitch Brown (yes) had a field day not only against Andrew but also against Thompson when they switched. Let's see this arvo. Opportunity for Thompson, Hollands, Sharp, Constable, Atkins and even Day (not overly impressed with some efforts from Chol/Casboult in the last couple of games).

Yes, I also found selection of Tsitas surprising (he would not be my choice) but not so much Ace. Ace was one of the best in VFL recently. Why selection committee did not select Hollands, Sharp? No idea, I don't sit on committee and don't know what coaches want them to do but it could be because they don't work consistently hard enough in VFL (my observation) contrary to Tsitas and Ace. Bloody journalists (Whiting) should ask instead of obvious questions like 'are you gutted'.

Why limited minutes would be another obvious question. I understand that AFL intensity is on another level, that it was debut for both players but Tsitas and Ace work rate was very good in VFL.

Despite that, we did not lose because of selection. We lost because of missed opportunities and not controlling the game when 14 points ahead. Yes, I could also point out that some other players struggled too, e.g., Budarick playing on Ginnivan, ordinary Markov, some weak efforts by Chol, that structures broke on some occasions due to players not playing roles, losing one on one battles but you win/lose as a team. We did have most stats in our favour. Based on contested possessions, clearances, inside 50 we had it in the bag.

Also near full strength Collingwood is an experienced and a very good team. A lot of quality mature players across every line coupled with 3-4 very good young players. Credit to them. They are in interesting situation. I don't think they can win it now and could be in trouble in 2 years when older players are on the out or they get hit by injuries. I don't like their depth. Going for it now or go full re-build?

Bloody umpires could/should give us a couple of calls late. Wouldn't that be nice for change. I guess, no home crowd, no calls for us with game on the line.

I guess the most pleasing for me was that despite first half struggles, looking exhausted (especially Witts) we were able to tighten the screws and turn it in our favour in second half until late lapses. We would have no chance to do it in previous seasons. Progress :p

I am happy for Luko to start in VFL. Luko did not play 2 months and needs to build match fitness, confidence in his knee in less intense VFL. He was poor in his first game from first PCL early in the season and that was only 2 weeks break.

Damn, I am still so frustrated. Time for break.

Last edited:
It sucks caring so much :( we have lots to look forward to though. We are on the up and are looking the best we have in our short history, next year is go time.
I love your positivity. For a few weeks there I felt the same, but this latest spate of serious injuries has potentially put us back a significant number of steps. The injuries to 5-6 of our best 22 have shown that our depth isn’t yet good enough to cover those losses. With our best team in we are a potential top8 team. Lose players of the calibre we recently have and we’re nothing more than a mid-table side. Some of our back ups haven’t shown anything yet to suggest they’re up to it. The recruiting team still has some serious work to do. It’s not like we’re getting players like Weller and Buddhas back anytime soon. Who knows how King, Powell etc. will come back. Rory T. is our only other decent KPD and his body is unreliable. We need more speed and depth in the mids.

That said I am happy for the club to extend Dewey’s contract and as heartbreaking as it is, it’s certainly better following a team that fights to the last siren than one that regularly concedes 3 figure defeats. We seem to say it nearly every year but this offseason / preseason is massively important for the club. We have to get it right.

How many one touch players were out there last night?

Of the younger players, Nick Daicos and Rankine stood out. Not many fumbles from them (and one reason that Daicos had so much ball, he did not drop it once he got it).
Cameron in the air was very good.

Of the older players, the Pies had a few more that were good in those conditions but nothing that stood out (like prime Gaz would have stood out).

But most obvious was the difference in backlines in those conditions. We don't have a particularly 'clean' backline at the moment.
Had some chances to pick up a ground ball, instead it stays on the ground and they have another chance. Dropped some marks as well.

Not just missing speed from Weller and Powell but they are good with their hands as well.

Playing 2 debutantes really surprised me.
I would be filthy if I were Constable or Hollands.
If Thompson was anywhere near fit he should have played for structure.
If Tsitas doesn't get dropped you know the selection committee has lost the plot.
They clearly wanted to go small and high pressure in the forward line.
Don't think Constable really fit there
But Hollands could easily have played Tsitas role, and been an actual threat of kicking a goal.

Definitely missed a trick there IMO.

Of note, Anderson was the only non-forward to kick a goal making that run into the goal square.
Definitely need our mids to hit the scoreboard a bit more reliably in these games.

Anderson had 2 other gettable set shots and didn't score with either.
Ellis had a 50/50 shot.

Didn't really have mids attacking the 50 and looking like kicking a goal in play.

Bad luck that was a text book rigging - the goal they kicked to win the game was free free mark kick goal without GC touching the ball. Then with a couple minutes to go there should have been a free at half forward for contact below the knees then Collingwood get a free and they spend another couple minutes forward.

Saying that if you kicked straighter you win.

You should have won last week too but for a couple individual acts by our players, and a few terrible errors from yours, the result would have been differ
As a neutral I thought you guys were robbed and I feel for you. At the 1:33 marks of the last qtr no 33 from Collingwood did a classic slide and moments before that he took the tackler on at half back and dropped it and it was called play on. Either the umps are blatant cheats or they are grossly incompetent with a strong vic bias.
Sliding rule explained

As a neutral I thought you guys were robbed and I feel for you. At the 1:33 marks of the last qtr no 33 from Collingwood did a classic slide and moments before that he took the tackler on at half back and dropped it and it was called play on. Either the umps are blatant cheats or they are grossly incompetent with a strong vic bias.
Sliding rule explained
In fact they should use that bit of vision to explain what the rule is and what you shouldn't do, because it was a classic leg breaking slide.

The commentators went quiet around then as well and made no mention of it.

In fact they should use that bit of vision to explain what the rule is and what you shouldn't do, because it was a classic leg breaking slide.

The commentators went quiet around then as well and made no mention of it.
the commentators are visibly scared of criticizing the umps under any circumstances. the afl directive to commentators is 'if you dare criticize the umpires then you will never commentate afl again'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back