Autopsy Round 20, 2022: Hawthorn leave it late against the Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Day with a coaches vote... I wonder who that was from?

Tom also for second week running.
Tom I understand, our most prolific midfielder - but I reckon Day copped one, and I'm assuming it was from Mitchell, for doing a specific role well. Will have to watch again and keep a close eye on Day.

Last edited:
Tom I understand, our most prolific midfielder - but I reckon Day copped one and I'm assuming it was from Mitchell for doing a specific role well. Will have to watch again and keep a close eye on Day.

Was definitely his best game for the year, Will.

Really hope we just play him Half-Back all of 2023 and let him get continuity and confidence.

With some unlucky injuries and games missed, feel he's not really benefited from being thrown around as much as he has this year.

My guess for the coaches votes splits.
Ratts
Marshall - 5
Wilkie - 4
Crouch - 3
Steele - 2
King - 1

Sam
Marshall - 5
Steele - 4
Crouch - 3
Titch - 2
Day - 1

This is why we are where we are.

Saints are the level above where we currently sit.

People can post here they are rubbish but they had us comfortably for 3qtrs and could afford a crap last term and still win the chocolates.

Yep, we are a younger team, and the potential for improvement is there, but there’s a bigger gap between 13th and 8th than some are willing to acknowledge.
We should be able to set the cat amongst the pigeons when playing a side that is not going far in to September. I don’t honestly expect us to consistently knock off the Melbournes and Geelongs etc but we need to be winning more of the Saints type of games. At the very least we should be competitive for the whole game (not just a quarter when it’s too late).

Just look at Collingwood. They’ve caused a few upsets, they are winning all the close ones and are taking their opportunities. Funnily enough they are a good side, having a red hot crack and playing some pretty consistent footy. Take your chances, keep the pressure on and that builds a good side.

Some promising signs at times this year but we need to ride those bumps with a grin right from the start.

Let’s finish out the year on a high!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be able to set the cat amongst the pigeons when playing a side that is not going far in to September. I don’t honestly expect us to consistently knock off the Melbournes and Geelongs etc but we need to be winning more of the Saints type of games. At the very least we should be competitive for the whole game (not just a quarter when it’s too late).

Just look at Collingwood. They’ve caused a few upsets, they are winning all the close ones and are taking their opportunities. Funnily enough they are a good side, having a red hot crack and playing some pretty consistent footy. Take your chances, keep the pressure on and that builds a good side.

Some promising signs at times this year but we need to ride those bumps with a grin right from the start.

Let’s finish out the year on a high!

Hawks get motivated v the top teams, and can monster the cellar teams. It’s the ones in the middle who are up and down which trouble us

Last year it was 3 straight wins v these teams. This year we could just as easily lose all 3

Kane Cornes' expert view of Hawthorn from yesterday's game:

"They're still really reliant on Bruest and Gunston and McEvoy and Mitchell and O'Meara. I fear for the Hawks when those senior players are removed from that. And you are just relying on not a lot of talent in terms of draft pick talent coming through.

"They've been really good, and Mitchell's done a great job with what he's had to work with. But a watch on them to see they can replicate that next year and the year after."
The rebuild won't be a success unless we win 18 games in a season with a list containing no players over 50 games experience.

The Hawks have had some good wins against bottom four teams, so the game against the saints was a great opportunity for us to test our mettle - particularly given our recent form against them. Saints had finals on the line, so it was a game where both teams had a lot to play for and I don't think either team wanted the other to get off to a good start, so that's my explanation for our cautious first half and even though we were found wanting, i still found it an intriguing battle. Glad I am not the only one who thought we were getting f'd by the umpires (albeit they did help us in the 2nd half).

Regarding selection, hindsight is 20/20 but Marshall is a mobile, athletic ruckman rather than a tall monster, so I understand the selectors throwing the challenge to Koschitzke rather than bringing in Lynch. Prior to being a late withdrawal, T. Campbell was also named who is a similar type to Marshall. So with a view to developing and challenging Kosi, I understand it. Was just unfortunate that Kosi got injured. I'm just as disappointed as others by his failure to take that goalsquare grab in Q1, his marking does need to improve.

I thought C. Mac was really good. His best game of the year for mine. Cumberland should get the rising star this week, but I hope CMac gets one before the year is out.
Breust is a gun and I love him - he roved a number of pack crumbs on the weekend superbly (7+ my guesstimate). I hope we keep him around for a few more years but I think he's best suited to being that 6th fwd now.
Maginess was good and improving, but still reticent to kick. I'm sure he's instructed to h/pass moreso than kick but he almost burnt a certain Q3 goal by waiting and h/balling. The balance will come.

Last week Titch seemed focused on using his possessions to bring team-mates into the game (2nd half) which was great, but this week was a reversion in my eyes. I think he needs constant reminders to focus on bringing others into the game with his touches else he burns us.
Regarding the coaches votes, I don't know the stats but I read we got belted in contested possessions. If Mitch gave him votes, it may have been because he led us in contested possessions which was a reported focus for us going into the game.

ML’s knee issue was weird this game - clearly been carrying it most of the year and it re-aggros every time he lands on that knee (when sliding for a mark)

Think it was the second qtr he hurt it - I was watching him limp around pretty much for two whole quarters - guessing the trainer/physio whatever said try and play through it.

Doesn’t seem to marry up with a longer term issue but more a pain management thing.

Still though 110% err on the side of caution and give him the rest of the season off I reckon

how come we play so crap at Marvel (almost) EVERY SINGLE TIME?!
sighs... even worse at giants............ shudders as I thik of the times going home in the train being jeered at by g iants fans

they say the Doggies love marvel... Hawks always used to love Waverly....it happens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back