Autopsy Round 22 Sydney Swans vs Saints. Three things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile,

Tigers beat swans, freo, hawks and lost to dogs, kangaroos, eagles, dockers, crows 3/8
Hawks beat swans, freo, dogs, eagles, kangaroos, crows, tigers and lost to swans & tigers 7/9
Adel beat eagles, kangaroos, tigers and lost to dockers, dogs, hawks, eagles, swans 3/8
North beat dockers, eagles, tigers and lost to crows, hawks, dockers, swans, dogs 3/8
WC beat swans, dockers, dogs, crows, tigers and lost to dockers, dogs, kangaroos, hawks and crows 5/10
Dogs beat swans,eagles, kangaroos, tigers and lost to Hawks, dockers, eagles 4/7
freo beat swans, crows, tigers, dogs, eagles, kangaroos lost to tigers, hawks, eagles, kangaroos 6/10
swans beat kangaroos, hawks, crows and lost to dockers, dogs, tigers, hawks, eagles 3/8

According to the 'who did they beat in the top 8 theory' then, the 'real' ladder is as follows.

HAWKS
DOCKERS
DOGS
EAGLES
SWANS
CROWS
TIGERS
KANGAROOS

Wooohooo, Hawks premiers in 2015

Hang on....what if the theory is flawed ? What about the total number of games won, which influences finishing position which gives home ground advantage in finals ?

Meanwhile,

Tigers beat swans, freo, hawks and lost to dogs, kangaroos, eagles, dockers, crows 3/8
Hawks beat swans, freo, dogs, eagles, kangaroos, crows, tigers and lost to swans & tigers 7/9
Adel beat eagles, kangaroos, tigers and lost to dockers, dogs, hawks, eagles, swans 3/8
North beat dockers, eagles, tigers and lost to crows, hawks, dockers, swans, dogs 3/8
WC beat swans, dockers, dogs, crows, tigers and lost to dockers, dogs, kangaroos, hawks and crows 5/10
Dogs beat swans,eagles, kangaroos, tigers and lost to Hawks, dockers, eagles 4/7
freo beat swans, crows, tigers, dogs, eagles, kangaroos lost to tigers, hawks, eagles, kangaroos 6/10
swans beat kangaroos, hawks, crows and lost to dockers, dogs, tigers, hawks, eagles 3/8

According to the 'who did they beat in the top 8 theory' then, the 'real' ladder is as follows.

HAWKS
DOCKERS
DOGS
EAGLES
SWANS
CROWS
TIGERS
KANGAROOS

Wooohooo, Hawks premiers in 2015

Hang on....what if the theory is flawed ? What about the total number of games won, which influences finishing position which gives home ground advantage in finals ?

What craziness is this of which you speak?

Next thing you'll be suggesting teams who score more than their opponents will be rated in some way? :p

This is the time of the year when everyone picks out odd facts and draws conclusions.

I say it's anyone's year, bring on the finals !

Not really. I just wanted to remind everyone the AFL'S lovechild the Bulldogs lost to Melb twice. :D

Anyone modding this board ?

If you're unhappy with the present level of modding, I strongly suggest you partake in the #makevonnmod campaign.

History teaches me to be wary of charismatic leaders. But sure...

I'm not charismatic Tuco, I just understand what the people want and how much of an impact one poster can have. Ask not what Bigfooty can do for you, but what you can do for Bigfooty.

#makevonnmod

Erm, I seem to recall the Dogs smashing Melbourne by about 100 points a few weeks ago?

Derp. Correct. :oops:

But they did lose to Melb and StKilda In consecutive weeks after beating us. That'll have to do. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wins against Top 8 sides is probably the most overrated stat out there.

I agree

I look more at the margins and wins against the top 4 as an indicator, but again nothing more than an indicator

all you have to do is win 3 or 4 games in a row, any side can do that

1. Cunningham must've snuck off to Oz after the Kardinia park game. His attack has been much better the last couple games and he's actually used his pace to take the game on a bit (like he used to in 2013, 2014). Earlier in the year he was using it to receive a chip kick would hang onto it, only to chip it safely sideways...whether or not this has changed because we're not paying the chip, chip garbage gameplan lately or whether he's turned it around himself it doesn't matter, this is how he because a decent AFL player. Use his pace and foot-skills to hurt teams (especially if Jetta goes, he may have to somewhat fill that void next year), the other style he played earlier in the year will see him become another Tony Armstrong (has foot-skills, can find the ball, but has absolutely 0 impact on a game).

2. Tippett and Reid are 2 of the really critical components who will determine how far we go this year. The spread was better, but still a few too many times their were kicks to Buddy 3 on 1. Using the best option and realising that Kurt and Sam should be the contested marking targets over Buddy (who will no doubt still draw the best defender plus the loose man) is critical.

3. Have to keep the momentum rolling, our 1st half of the year was reasonable (despite a couple games and a few other patches) but since the bye we haven't played great footy until 3 of the last 4 weeks. This week is a final dress rehearsal and we have to continue getting our players into form and get our structures working, a bad performance (even if it's a win) would really set us back heading into a possible Perth final.
Our last 2 trips to play Freo have seen us with 2.2 (14) and 1.3 (9) as our half time scores (I don't know why people are celebrating the chance of playing them)...to win we need to bring a lot of momentum into the game, especially the scoring side of it...to regress and kick something like 11 goals (probably heavily Franklin and Tippett inspired) this week would probably play into Freo's hands and be a big step backwards for us....if we kick another 20 (with a nice spread) our confidence would grow and they'll be more worried about match ups.

If we have this game locked up by half time (which we did against the Suns last time) are we going to kick on like the last two weeks or put the cue in the rack and make sure noone get's injured?

It's tough because we want to continue good habits and form but I don't want to see injures either.

EDIT: wrong thread haha.

Last edited:
I'm not charismatic Tuco, I just understand what the people want and how much of an impact one poster can have. Ask not what Bigfooty can do for you, but what you can do for Bigfooty.

#makevonnmod
This made me think of Punts falling off a tall building. No idea why

;)

Sorry typed that on the shitter

Whats ur guess for the finals results?
It's very open between at least five. Just hard to pick which 5 !

Hawks have three-peat chance and home ground advantage. Fit list gives them a huge boost but may need to play two finals in Perth to get there. Seasoned finalists
Swans need atonement, coming in to form at the pointy end of the season. With almost best 22 a very good chance. Good spread of players. Seasoned finalists
Eagles rely heavily on Nic Nat, a few top mids and a some great forwards but possibly most vulnerable to a key injury. Home qualifying final is huge
Freo advantage of home qualifying, resting players but seem to be slowing on the home straight. Fyfe needs to be right.
North have enough finals experience to go all the way but Wells could be the difference.
Tigers, Crows and Dogs probably not quite there yet but I can't rule them out. All of the lower finalists need to win 4 straight. The teams are tight in the 8 this year but that's still a big ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back