Preview Round 23, 2015 - Port Adelaide vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

He/she is entitled to his/her opinion. Just supporting their club. Don't be a sore loser, it's not Freo's fault that we missed finals.
I'm not going to lie, I actually hope Freo win the whole thing personally. Although I think the Hawks will host a prelim and cruise to a 3 peat.

Not sure why we are so hurting in the butt at them bringing a weakened team. I would want us to rest key players as well if we had nothing to play for in Perth if the situation was reversed. Would look pretty stupid if you lost a couple of crucial players in a dead rubber. They don't owe us anything. They are trying to win a flag.

So I'm being a sore loser because I think their prediction (actually statement) is not as certain as they believe it to be?
As certain as your prediction they'll go out in straight sets.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

That's for sure...
port_club3.jpg

Is that the 2002 Wizard Home Loans Cup on the top right?

That's not true. Only one of us were entitled to a home preliminary final due to the MCG rule at the time. As it turned out, we lost our QF and it didn't matter but we were playing for home preliminary final rights that day.
I stand corrected. But the point was more that it didn't really matter that Brisbane travelled with their best team, they still won their finals, including the MCG QF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going into this hoping to enjoy a nice day in the sun, have a couple of beverages and enjoy a good game of football free from the usual anxieties. Would love to see the fringe guys consolidate their positions in the 22. Put a positive cap on a disappointing season.

I'm hoping to come out of it pumped for 2016.

Maybe Port will use this an opportunity to give some of their younglings a taste as well? We from Freo way would be interested in seeing Mason Shaw get a run ( former South Freo colt ).

Maybe Port will use this an opportunity to give some of their younglings a taste as well? We from Freo way would be interested in seeing Mason Shaw get a run ( former South Freo colt ).
Read earlier in the thread. Wont happen. Magpies (our reserves) have a qualifying final this weekend, we want to win that, as it's the only premiership we could still win this year so we're a zero % chance of bringing up kids as only those kids will have qualified for the finals.

Nope, it's why i'm not a dickhead. I guess a response like this was predictable. Winning flags is bloody hard, but making the top 4 and having a red hot crack at one is a successful year by any measure. It's not the ultimate success no, but it's also not a right -off. This is particualry so for developing sides. West Coast won't win the flag this year IMO, but the exposure to finals games will be invaluable for their young side.
Come back in 5 year if Freo are near the bottom again and have gone without a flag and tell me it was a successful year. In the long run, you don't win the flag you've failed because no one remembers 2nd.

Dont see the issue with Freo dropping most of their squad. They have older players and are interested in winning a flag, why should they care about opposition fans?
I don't have a problem with Freo. wanting to do it. I have a problem with them trying to get the known rule put in place in 2013 amended to let them. Freo. set up spying on us over the pre-season and ensured they were at their peak fitness for round 1. They now are suffering from too many players hitting the wall? The AFL can go and tell them to get fraked.

If they hadn't been so obsessed with smashing us in round 1 (a narrow victory at home, only secured after Carlile left us short a KPD) then they wouldn't be needing to do this. I'm sorry, but if the AFL can change rules after the fact, then I want the Crows 'mark' 2 feet over the line in the Showdown, that led to a goal reviewed now, several weeks later, so we can retrospectively win that game and be in the finals.

tl;dr - Freo. get stuffed, you made your bed obsessing about us round 1, now lay in it round 23.

Freo should rest a few guys who are sore, niggles etc. but their form is pants going into a finals series I think they should be more switched on for a good solid hit out.. if they were in terrific form it's another story.

Personally, I doubt that Hinkley would be resting players who were not genuinely sore enough to rest if we were in the same position. If we had good form, he would be looking to build on it and if our previous form was average, I would expect he would pull players aside and tell them to prove they deserve a finals team spot.

I don't have a problem with Freo. wanting to do it. I have a problem with them trying to get the known rule put in place in 2013 amended to let them. Freo. set up spying on us over the pre-season and ensured they were at their peak fitness for round 1. They now are suffering from too many players hitting the wall? The AFL can go and tell them to get fraked.

Im no Freo Fan and the way they went about preseason annoyed me, sending scouts to closed training needs better policing. But the fundamental issue is that the AFL should have no right, no sway no anything when it comes to team selection. Especially top end tanking when it is is not for draft picks in a dead rubber, any interest from the afl about "integrity" is rubbish, it is about protecting the gambling partners of the AFL!

But saying that i see your point about existing rules, i just think it is a bad rule.

If they hadn't been so obsessed with smashing us in round 1 (a narrow victory at home, only secured after Carlile left us short a KPD) then they wouldn't be needing to do this. I'm sorry, but if the AFL can change rules after the fact, then I want the Crows 'mark' 2 feet over the line in the Showdown, that led to a goal reviewed now, several weeks later, so we can retrospectively win that game and be in the finals.

tl;dr - Freo. get stuffed, you made your bed obsessing about us round 1, now lay in it round 23.

This right here is exactly my point. They limped to the line after going out of the blocks hard at the start of the season and now want a rest to freshen up? Either manage your players through the year like every other top four team or play to the line now.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't so blatantly obvious with their "40% extra running" s**t that their whole purpose was to make sure they beat us in R1. Could have rested two or three players against Melbourne, didn't. And they aren't in some great form that they can afford to do so.

Nah, it's pretty obvious that Lyon knows we'd kick their sorry ass from here to next week anyway so why not pretend that a week off is exactly what you need going into a qualifying final when Sydney will be using their dead rubber against Gold Coast at the SCG to fine tune their best 22 for finals. That way, you can protect the fragile mentality of players who are probably teetering on the edge of self destruction by dismissing any win we have as being against Peel Thunder.

Don't care if Freo rest players, their top and have bigger worries then a dead rubber against us. The AFL should have no say if they can or can't do it.

Just go out and smash their reserves and get onto planning for 2016. This game means nothing to me as the excuse for the inevitable hiding we will give their reserves are already there. In a nutshell it's about a fair reward for what our season deserves. Sitting here now filthy looking at the 8 knowing A we aren't in it, and B on our day we could beat anyone in the 8. But alas will enjoy watching the boys play once more in 2015 then onto forgetting season 2015.

Not a fan of freo resting 11 players. It's ok to rest a few but 11 makes the game a joke and will no doubt impact crowd numbers and tv ratings.

I don't think anything is wrong about this, I'd do the same if I was in their position.

As for the game being a joke, it's a dead rubber anyway so who cares.

I just want to finish the season off with a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back