Review Round 23 vs North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 20/8/22 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really hard to get a read on that game given how terrible North were in the second half. They barely won a contest. I love that Sexton kicked six, but how much of it is fool's gold? When the game was still in the balance he couldn't impact. Only when our mids got well on top and their defensive pressure faded did he start to run riot. There's absolutely no doubting the forward craft he has, of course. He still has to get into position to kick those goals, but if he's not kicking at least two goals a week, you can't play him. He doesn't offer much else. IMO that's not sustainable, hence why he got dropped. Would I have him over Jeffrey? Nope. That said, would I have Sexton in over Holman? Yeah, I think so. Especially if Davies is going to be playing like that in his role.

Even MacPherson looked good in the second half, streaming off half-back and hitting targets. Like I said, some fool's gold there I think.

When the game was there to be one, it was Swallow & Anderson that did the heavy lifting. Anderson impacted that game in a way that only a few others before him at the club have: GAJ, Harley & Touk. Noah is one pre-season away from doing that routinely IMO. Thing is? No-one is going to tag him. If a team is going to tag anyone, it will be Touk. Anderson is primed for an epic year next year, all things being well.
Brownlow for Noah in 23!

Also, note for Luko: if you want to play as a forward, you've got to be kicking better than that. Happy to give him a mulligan because of his knee, but he looked 10x the player in the back six. Even compared to a game like today, where he actually looked okay in the forward half.

Should of mentioned it earlier but felt like that was Jy Farrars best game for us. Won a number of 1v1s and looked great with ball in hand.
Yeah, when he is on he is exactly what we need. Tough, good decision maker with Pace and some height.
Clean slate next year, Buderick probably not ready but he is not in my best 22 anyway.
It’s a very good looking best 22 with King in and Powell and Weller back. I love Joel Jeffrey. Farah is in for mine and it is not easy trying to fit them all in..
2023 sky’s are looking Sunny AF!

Chol & Casboult looked so utterly cooked, too. Both paying the price for playing virtually every game. Casboult did well to hang in, but he hasn't been at the level for about a month.

Chol still finding way to get shots at goal despite the fact that he has lost most of his agility and is clearing injured is a great sign for the future for when he gets that back.

Dew said it looked like we had gas in the tank in the presser. I'd dispute that. Some do. A lot don't.
Chol managed to get a lot more uncontested ball today.
He had 18 possessions, 9 marks, 8 score involvements, 4 set shots on goal.

Think he needs to add that to his game to have more influence on the game when he isn't kicking goals.

Agree he has looked a bit fatigued at times toward the end of the year, but I thought he did a lot of good things today, despite having a number of missed opportunities.

Chol managed to get a lot more uncontested ball today.
He had 18 possessions, 9 marks, 8 score involvements, 4 set shots on goal.

Think he needs to add that to his game to have more influence on the game when he isn't kicking goals.

Agree he has looked a bit fatigued at times toward the end of the year, but I thought he did a lot of good things today, despite having a number of missed opportunities.
That's true, but it was mostly straight lines movement. All of what made him so difficult to contain in the first half of the year just isn't there. When he tried to do stuff like that today he got tackled easily. Just couldn't evade.

He'll be better next year for this run, though.

was at the game today thought farrar and Davies had they’re best games for us easily
The amount of work touk does around the ground always amazes me live
And big dick king swallow was a treat to watch always worth the price of admission alone win lose or draw
Get him he’s statue at Metricon now

It's really hard to get a read on that game given how terrible North were in the second half. They barely won a contest. I love that Sexton kicked six, but how much of it is fool's gold? When the game was still in the balance he couldn't impact. Only when our mids got well on top and their defensive pressure faded did he start to run riot. There's absolutely no doubting the forward craft he has, of course. He still has to get into position to kick those goals, but if he's not kicking at least two goals a week, you can't play him. He doesn't offer much else. IMO that's not sustainable, hence why he got dropped. Would I have him over Jeffrey? Nope. That said, would I have Sexton in over Holman? Yeah, I think so. Especially if Davies is going to be playing like that in his role.

Even MacPherson looked good in the second half, streaming off half-back and hitting targets. Like I said, some fool's gold there I think.

When the game was there to be one, it was Swallow & Anderson that did the heavy lifting. Anderson impacted that game in a way that only a few others before him at the club have: GAJ, Harley & Touk. Noah is one pre-season away from doing that routinely IMO. Thing is? No-one is going to tag him. If a team is going to tag anyone, it will be Touk. Anderson is primed for an epic year next year, all things being well.
I wouldn’t be taking anything out of this game other than the 4 points, the fact we got another game into our kids, there were no serious injuries, and we’ve arguably had our best season to date with scope for further improvement.
It simply showed us that we’re 10 goals better than the bottom side but still 10 goals behind the top side.
Will give the boys a bit of confidence going into the preseason and hopefully if we have a good summer, a real platform to launch towards our first finals series next year.

The whole Clarko scenarios a very interesting one, the Hawks believed he was passed his best and moved him on. North have aligned their future to him (with an iron clad 5 year deal ) and we all know he wants 100% control.

It will be very interesting to see over the next three years who is right Clarko or the Hawks

The whole Clarko scenarios a very interesting one, the Hawks believed he was passed his best and moved him on. North have aligned their future to him (with an iron clad 5 year deal ) and we all know he wants 100% control.

It will be very interesting to see over the next three years who is right Clarko or the Hawks

Generally speaking..

Clubs will go a full reset now.
Dump coaches
Cut old players..
Dump big contracts
Dump list cloggers

And start from scratch again.

Would u consider trading our own pick or Adelaide’s pick for Norths first Rd pick next year?

They might be open to really try to get talent in there asap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally speaking..

Dump coaches
Cut old players..
Dump big contracts
Dump list cloggers

Would u consider trading our own pick or Adelaide’s pick for Norths first Rd pick next year?

I am burnt by our previous attempts to be smart with future trading, so no I wouldn’t

The Eagle 4x2nd rounders for what ended up being pick 19

The trading of picks with Melbourne that netted them their premiership midfield

The bank of 2nd and 3rd rounders we currently have that we keep moving forward each year at ever diminishing returns

History says if you want to gamble on futures trade with the Suns

Generally speaking..

Dump coaches
Cut old players..
Dump big contracts
Dump list cloggers

No!
Just use every pick we have except 1st rounder to get 1 or 2 A grade players if we can.

We need to improve our best 22, not draft more kids.

Because our best 22 isn't good enough for finals yet.

No!
Just use every pick we have except 1st rounder to get 1 or 2 A grade players if we can.

We need to improve our best 22, not draft more kids.

Because our best 22 isn't good enough for finals yet.

Nothing to say u couldn’t use pick 1-5 on a mature A grade mid next year

The year we first make finals 😊

I would say Sexton actually scored 2 pretty important goals in first half when other players could not hit the barn.
But they still involved people having to lace him out, right? Luko first and then Anderson second. I agree though that he can definitely kick goals. It's the opposite problems of a lot of our forwards who can get the pill but then shank kicks. His problem is moments that don't favour him. If he does though, you can more often than not mark it down.

I know it was North Melbourne but one thing I really liked about Sexton's performance yesterday was that he stepped up in a game where our talls couldn't get it going. It's absolutely crucial to have one or two small crumbing forwards that can step up in moments like that. We desperately needed that two weeks ago against Hawthorn when our season was on the line and Casboult managed one goal while Chol kicked none. We needed Rankine to kick a few in that game but he came up with nothing that day and after yesterday I'm thinking we probably would have beaten the Hawks had Sexton been playing in the game.

Should we have played Secco earlier in the season? Probably but it's easy to say that now. His VFL form all year didn't really warrant selection. I'm just glad he got a chance to show the coaches why they should keep him on the list and that he should be playing more AFL games next year. He's still only 28 years old so it's not like he's over the hill or anything.

I know it was North Melbourne but one thing I really liked about Sexton's performance yesterday was that he stepped up in a game where our talls couldn't get it going. It's absolutely crucial to have one or two small crumbing forwards that can step up in moments like that. We desperately needed that two weeks ago against Hawthorn when our season was on the line and Casboult managed one goal while Chol kicked none. We needed Rankine to kick a few in that game but he came up with nothing that day and after yesterday I'm thinking we probably would have beaten the Hawks had Sexton been playing in the game.

Should we have played Secco earlier in the season? Probably but it's easy to say that now. His VFL form all year didn't really warrant selection. I'm just glad he got a chance to show the coaches why they should keep him on the list and that he should be playing more AFL games next year. He's still only 28 years old so it's not like he's over the hill or anything.
We did play him earlier in the season and he was like a witches hat out there. To his credit he went back and worked hard, I made comment on reserves thread a few weeks back that he looked like he got his movement back. Worth having on the list atleast.

Most of them aren't Suns supporters and are mostly local kids that go to Suns games and sit in the cheer squad and have a bit of fun.

Is that not what a fan does?

Attachments

• F5977419-8FE5-489E-8AFC-FC3F6B3E72E1.jpeg
    F5977419-8FE5-489E-8AFC-FC3F6B3E72E1.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 56

And he’s still got his speed. Good 3+ years left IMO.

Good win, not a great quality game. Good to finally see a win live this year and finish on a high. Big expectation next year with players back.

I saw King after the game. He looked ready to go.
Is Kingy looking any bigger / bulkier? Hopefully he’s been hitting the weights a bit whilst rehabbing his knee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back