Autopsy Round 8, 2023 : Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

+ Allen. Absolute superstar
Jones was good

- Got blown away, again.
Gameplay isn't there. Effort does not game plan. Teams are able to waltz into our D50 again and again and our options going forward are "* IT. IM BOMBING IT LONG"
  • Culley
  • 'The kids' basically all need culling from the list. Trew, XON, Clark, West, Foley, Edwards. Not convinced any of them will make it a full strength 22.

Look I know it's the reality of where we're at right now...

But I am sick to death of watching the WAFL brigade go about it. It's giving me IBS đź—‘

The crew of Foley, Xon, Rotham, West, Clark and Trew are just so so so bad and out of their depth in this league. Cannot wait until they are all gone.

Petch and Ledwards on notice.

3 on 2's that we should easily win, but cough up the ball. Players having no foot skills. Players not being able to kick on their opposite foot. Not being able to ride a tackle. Not being able to asorb pressure. Not sheparding. Players missing uncontested targets 15m away. Players dropping marks when they are in space.

At one point it was just a wave of them in the last quarter. 15m chip kick in transition to a free teammate ends up being a lollipop that hangs in the air.

Grim days being a West Coast fan with yet another injury to our rising star from 2 weeks ago. I mean gee whiz.

Then you've got Dinosaur Hurn. Nowhere near our worst, but still stuck so far in Simmos old game plan. Kicks backwards. Kicks sideways. Doesn't mix up the kick ins ever. Doesn't get creative. Stale and vanilla kicking it long to an undersized Darling in a 1v1 against Balta, who he's lost to the last 5 times you kicked there.

Halved last weeks loss...if we keep halving our losses, we'll have a win about 5 games later.
Another game over and closer to the bye...and mid season draft.
We were winning at one stage.
All the players on our injury list and coming back one day, is a strange kind of positive?

Positive, closer to round 24.

Really have to question our.player development. Guys like xon, trew, foley, rotham, west, clarke have stagnated and gone backwards...regardless of percieved talent

Darling.....just frustrating player to watch likely yo get bronx cheers during his retirement lap.

Will be remembered for dropping sitters in his GF performances and more often than not missing gettable goals.when the team needed them.

Positives
Allen kicking 4 goals.
Thought Sheed went ok first game back.
Patches of the game were good. First quarter and the first bit of the 3rd quarter.
Duggan did well in the midfield.
Negatives
Culley ACL is super depressing.
Trew, Xon, Foley, West and Clark all are WAFL grade and yet because of injuries most of them will get more chances. Makes Culley going down even more sad.

I'm actually relaxed as I've ever been this year, now that there's zero expectations. Gutted about the Culley injury though but if you're going to lose your s**t during times like this, best you take a breather and come back later. It ain't getting better for a fair while.
Its probably a good thing our senior players are injured...imagine internally the false hope if we were playing better on the field, but losing by under 3 goals or snatching a win here and there.

Its probably a good thing our senior players are injured...imagine internally the false hope if we were playing better on the field, but losing by under 3 goals or snatching a win here and there.
I would hate that more than anything. We're due a big re-stock at the bottom of the ladder. Thankfully it's happened before Tasmania comes in. Last time sucked due to GC & GWS taking everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ve
early energy and run
allen
sheed - and AFL mid stands out
A few glimpses fron a few kids
Witherden
Barrass ok
Gaff gutsy and worked hard all day as dis Kelly
Ginby ok

-ve - Culley an obvious
our mature depth (favorites with some) and 20-21 draftees are not at an AFL quality (never will be) thus pleny to cut over 2-3 years.
Darling is injured but presents - he is well undersized - his output hlights a huge gap in our list management as he nears retirement.
Ruckmen and tall defenders - see above

We managed to minimise the early damage with decent pressure, but you can only keep that up for so long with young/injured players.

Too many skill errors killing momentum. And really, we're carrying a lot of spuds.

Some of the not AFL quality players today are hurt by positional malarkey, but imo, aren't going to make it regardless.

• XON
  • Trew
  • Foley
  • Rotham
  • West
  • Clark
  • Probably L Edwards

I think Petch could be borderline B22 in a better team, but could probably include him.

We aren't going anywhere until we have better bottom end players.

+
Oscar Allen continues to be a massive highlight. He's improving by the week. He'll be ready to dominate when the team is better.

+
Not the cleanest game from Bailey but I'm loving his improvement this year.

+
Sheed has been missed. He knows where to find the ball and is an AFL quality midfielder, which is realistically all we can hope for.

Positive, closer to round 24.

Really have to question our.player development. Guys like xon, trew, foley, rotham, west, clarke have stagnated and gone backwards...regardless of percieved talent

Darling.....just frustrating player to watch likely yo get bronx cheers during his retirement lap.

Will be remembered for dropping sitters in his GF performances and more often than not missing gettable goals.when the team needed them.

XON - pick 28
Trew - rookie
Foley - pick 31
Rotham - pick 37
West - mid season draft
Clark - pick 62

You cannot expect all of them to become star players.

Darling is far from our biggest worry, and like him or not he has actually proven he is at AFL level even if he is clearly far closer to the end than his prime. Besides, who else do you want to try in his place? Personally, I remember him for his third quarter in the 2018 GF and his All Australian the following year.

Didn't think Rotham (by his standards) was too bad today, he had a few bad moments, but actually competed well in a lot of contests.

For most of the game, there was a decent effort put in, I would rather we fade out in the last quarter, than just s**t the bed for a 2nd or 3rd quarter and have the game taken away from us.

I have decided to grant Witherden, the 'jones clearance', he can take the game on, and if he stuffs up, oh well, at least do it trying to be positive and hopefully it will show the others we must go forward with urgency.

Jones got stuck in again, plays with good spirit.

The only thing
XON - pick 28
Trew - rookie
Foley - pick 31
Rotham - pick 37
West - mid season draft
Clark - pick 62

Darling is far from our biggest worry, and like him or not he has actually proven he is at AFL level even if he is clearly far closer to the end than his prime. Besides, who else do you want to try in his place? Personally, I remember him for his third quarter in the 2018 GF and his All Australian the following year.
Id be expecting much much more from XON, FOLEY AND ROTHAM.

what pick were lecca and yeo taken with?

Thank the gods that we know when Tazzee is coming in to the comp.

If last year was year 1 of the rebuild we need to nail every one of the next 4 drafts perfectly, if we play our cards right we can be on the come up just as the Tazzee Two Heads enter the VFL.

Feel for Jai, just brutal luck. A real test of fortitude coming for him now, being the competitor that he is i'm confident he can pull it off.

In real no mans territory at the moment, need a bit of luck.

Negatives -

• Too many WAFL players who aren't up to it such as: Trew, Clark, West, XON, Petch and L.Edwards are likely delists.
  • Setup too closely and got killed on the spread at the stoppages.
  • Cannot defend momentum.
  • Lacking accountability at the stoppages.
  • BBBW got smashed in the ruck and allowed Richmond's mids to get first use. Just didn't compete as well like he did against better rucks.
  • Culley injury likely ACL :(
  • Darling just looks too lumbering even as an undersized KPF. Just too slow now and is getting smashed by more athletic types. Can get away putting a mid sized defender on him.

Meh =

=
Hurn although solid, just seems stuck with the 2018-19 gameplan and lacks creativity.
= Gaff better with his ball use but seems stale.
= Rotham actually competed well but that dropped mark that led to a Richmond goal was a coach killer.

Positives +

• Allen you star. Still kicked four goals in a team lacking supply and is fifth in the Coleman despite being in a spoon contending side.
  • Sheed was pretty good in his first game back.
  • Kelly pretty much carrying the midfield.
  • Jones always looking to rebound and kept driving the ball out.
  • Hunt was good with his attack.
  • Witherden defended nicely and was more creative with ball in hand.
  • Duggan was good in the midfield.
  • Barrass gave Riewoldt a bath.
  • Team as a whole stayed in there at times.
  • Still in contention for Harley Reid.

Final thoughts.

We got very lucky early on when we were doing well since Richmond's skill errors and poor accuracy kept us in it. If they had Lynch and Nankervis and were accurate and fixed their skill issues early on then this would've been another 100 point belting. Darling although he looks cooked and lumbersome is still important to Allen's development as he still takes a good defender. Very sad to see Culley get what is likely an ACL injury which sucks.

We really need the number one pick to give the club more leverage Vic teams to overpay or to draft Reid if he maintains his form for Carlton's VFL team.

I don't mind losing. In fact I told the missus it's a win win today, as long as it's a close game and my club has a crack, it's probably preferable.

No, what I DO mind is the absolute frustration when one of our WAFL quality spuds totally cooks a good piece of play. It's infuriating.

I mind the Eagles going through periods of pure uncompetitiveness where it's party time for the opposition. Today wad what, a 50pt turn around in a quarter and a bit? Prestia being the beneficiary and looking like Diesel Williams.

Dustbin playing his best game of the year, unsurprisingly.

How Riewoldt didn't pop up for a goal late and celebrate like he'd just won a flag is anyone's guess. Thought it was a soda.

I mind yet another injury to another young player. Christ. What a Roller-coaster season this was for Culley.

XON - pick 28
Trew - rookie
Foley - pick 31
Rotham - pick 37
West - mid season draft
Clark - pick 62

I don't expect them to be stars, would have hoped one or two would prove themselves as future best 22 role players this season though which doesn't really look like happening

The only thing

Id be expecting much much more from XON, FOLEY AND ROTHAM.

what pick were lecca and yeo taken with?

That's not my point - the point is that when you get to those picks in the draft the majority of them will turn out to be busts or having middling careers at best.

You'd have more of a point if those players you mentioned were all top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back