Autopsy Round 8, 2023 : Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

What I've noticed about Clark is that his hands aren't particularly sharp. He fumbles a lot of balls & thats in open play. I'm not sure that makes for a successful player in and around a contest.
I'd suggest he's only getting a game due to injuries. I can't in any world see him on the list next year.
I get the feeling that blokes that have great endurance and ball winning abilities will always be great WAFL players but always get found out at the next level.

Thought Sheed was very good. It was by far his best game all year and unlike his previous games he actually didn’t start the game as if he was stoned. He’s 28 years old now and leader of the club and thats the minimum standard that he should be asked to play at. TK has beeb doing basically all the midfield grunt by himself all season and he’s gonna be cooked sooner rather than later if he doesn’t find a partner or two in the middle

Simmo spoke about Clark's role after being asked by Miguel Sanchez

Ask Simmo has become an excellent segment - about one of the only insightful bits of media I watch each week.

The producer is great at selecting questions and there's enough of our fans with a clue to be able to ask good ones.

Simmo is pretty open with his responses and doesn't mind giving a bit away (he freely stated we're selecting in the mid season draft and I felt he hinted they'll draft for the future). The chemistry with him and Schofield also works very well.

Be nice to have more fan questions and less questions from Schoey.

And the banter is an irrelevancy that should be edited out.

So we (fans) get what 3-4 questions? Wow!
I thinks Schoey's questions are usually pretty good. He brings an insider perspective and isn't just doing Dorothy Dixers to let Simmo say what he wants to say.

The WAFL brigade

XON - 13 touches, 2 tackles, 5 clangers + 1 miss from 20m out.

West - 14 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 good goal (probably the only one of this lot with a pass mark, given the position he played)

Trew - 9 touches at 44%, 0 tackles

Clark - 13 touches, 1 contested, 3 turnovers, 3 tackles

Foley - 11 touches, 1 contested, 2 clangers, 0 tackles

^ that lot needs to go first.

With the below getting the nudge sooner rather than later.

Rotham - 13 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 gimp uncontested mark drop ending in a direct goal to the oppo.

Petrucelle - 13 touches, 2 turnovers, 4 tackles, 1 good goal + 1 lollipop 15m pass he sat on top of Ledwards head for Pickett to jump on.

Ledwards - 11 touches, 4 clangers, 6 tackles.
The next 12 rounds is going to be real frustrating for the former play the kids campaigners and now after 8 rounds sack the kids campaigners. With the opportunity they'll get to play we'll all know by the end of the season who's AFL standard... sit back and hang on it's going to be a rough ride.

The next 12 rounds is going to be real frustrating for the former play the kids campaigners and now after 8 rounds sack the kids campaigners. With the opportunity they'll get to play we'll all know by the end of the season who's AFL standard... sit back and hang on it's going to be a rough ride.

To be fair its not like these are all super young/new players, we kinda know their projectory and will have an idea how much growth they've still got in them by the time the season wraps.

Jamieson is obviously a tall, so that takes time and he's contracted.

Ledwards is the other we might see some signs from, given he had a year wiped with OP. Doubtful IMO, not sure he has the tools but he's got the class.

Other than that, XON been around 5 years, West a mature age player and it's evident he isn't AFL quality, likewise Clark (especially when we don't play him on ball).

Foley is the worst of the lot IMO, he's also been on the list 5 years.

Trew was always just a punt 2 years ago. You could make a case for him, but as a rookie list you always get a bit less time and he's looked miles off it at AFL level.

None of these guys I really feel we're jumping the gun on. They've had plenty of time to shown their wears, if not in the AFL recently, then at the Beagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to keep Ledwards on but in a year or two he’s gonna be another West/Xon/ Clark.

Unlike the onea mentioned above his does have footy smarts and skills but I struggle to see where he fits in at AFL level. He’s slower than Sheed/Gaff and not sure he has a strong endurance base to play outside. On the inside he lacks the strength and size to win it. He’d be competing with a few in tbe future to play there

Happy to keep Ledwards on but in a year or two he’s gonna be another West/Xon/ Clark.

Unlike the onea mentioned above his does have footy smarts and skills but I struggle to see where he fits in at AFL level. He’s slower than Sheed/Gaff and not sure he has a strong endurance base to play outside. On the inside he lacks the strength and size to win it. He’d be competing with a few in tbe future to play there

If Ledwards was a yard quicker he would an excellent player.

Leaves pretty much all our other 20-22 years olds in the dust when it comes to footy nous. Athletically he's looking like a bust. Getting the sad feels watching him getting torched repeatedly on the burst.

Might go better in a side that is more dominant.

That's not my point - the point is that when you get to those picks in the draft the majority of them will turn out to be busts or having middling careers at best.

You'd have more of a point if those players you mentioned were all top 10 picks.
Yeah i agree, and really, we are only frustrated at them because we have to play them in our 1st's due to massive injuries. In most circumstances, we wouldn't really get to see many of these players apart from a cameo due to the better players keeping them out. They are pretty much top up players.

I went to the 2018 GF. I am content with the above choices to get us there.

I want to win now more for the kids belief than anything else. I am not sure we are getting Reid this year though. Any team that loses to Freo by 11 goals has shown their intent. We couldn’t even match that loss with 6 in game injuries.
we shall see next week when we play the hawks

So can you please explain to us why Clark was drafted as a big bodied inside mid and is never played in that position regularly?
yeah this shits me to tears...watching Clark tear South Fremantle a new one in the 2021 Grand final had me confident he could compete in the middle for us. Instead we plonk Gaff in the middle, because Gaff is no longer quick enough to play wing. Perhaps at 195 cm, Clark can play half forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back