Autopsy Round 8, 2023 : Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams were playing through Gaff's man. Clark isn't ideal but he's taller, stronger, no worse a kick and perhaps a title more physical in the contest.

I do understand your point but & it has validity.
So can you please explain to us why Clark was drafted as a big bodied inside mid and is never played in that position regularly?

Club mouth piece still rolling out the old "unprecedented injuries" line like a lot of it doesn't stem from the clubs very own decisions.

• S&C staff
  • List management - gifting our favourite injury-prone "stars" another contract because they are flag hero's.
Chuck in a stubborn and stale CEO/board and the clubs inability to change/evolve with the stand rule, thinking our list was good enough to compete, let alone win a flag again from 2020-2023, despite that being hosed down time and time again.

Sign McGovern. Sign Naitanui. Sign Hurn and Shuey boiz, we're rolling the hero's out again in 2024 for one more push.

Club mouth piece still rolling out the old "unprecedented injuries" line like a lot of it doesn't stem from the clubs very own decisions.

• S&C staff
  • List management - gifting our favourite injury-prone "stars" another contract because they are flag hero's.
Chuck in a stubborn and stale CEO/board and the clubs inability to change/evolve with the stand rule, thinking our list was good enough to compete, let alone win a flag again from 2020-2023, despite that being hosed down time and time again.

Sign McGovern. Sign Naitanui. Sign Hurn and Shuey boiz, we're rolling the hero's out again in 2024 for one more push.
So we sack / trade out all these players 2 years ago, some for peanuts.

Who fills their positions? A bunch of, mostly, 3rd and 4th rounders.

All these players we drafted were for our chippety kick gameplan. Rules change overnight and we still think we're in with a chance. Csnt change the gameplan overnight or trade in new players for a new gameplan.

It got us a flag. Not sure how else we were to tackle this.

If shuey and hurn get a contract extension at the year the joint needs to be burnt down. Legitimately would need to question whats going on.

If natanui can play more than 15 games next year with good form then i see no harm in a ONE year extension.

Staggered gov got 2 years and i assume cripps the same.

If shuey and hurn get a contract extension at the year the joint needs to be burnt down. Legitimately would need to question whats going on.

If natanui can play more than 15 games next year with good form then i see no harm in a ONE year extension.

Staggered gov got 2 years and i assume cripps the same.

Let's just do a Hawthorn then and purge anyone over the age of 28.

Nic has to go after this contract

It's enough

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know they likely would have been recorded in the pre season but seeing him rolled out for Ads knowing he's not playing or likely to in the near future is absolutely laughable.

Our club's most marketable player doesn't actually play football... that's where we're at as a football club.

So we sack / trade out all these players 2 years ago, some for peanuts.

Who fills their positions? A bunch of, mostly, 3rd and 4th rounders.

All these players we drafted were for our chippety kick gameplan. Rules change overnight and we still think we're in with a chance. Csnt change the gameplan overnight or trade in new players for a new gameplan.

It got us a flag. Not sure how else we were to tackle this.

Fair question, I'm not a full time list manager, I'm a pleb, so i dont have the luxury to answer this question off the top of my head.

Naitanui definitely should not have got 2 years. That's absurd. One of Shuey or Hurn needed to pull the pin last year. Thankfully Redden did what they should've.

I wouldn't have given McGovern another 2 years recently either, if he could've got 3 elsewhere then good, let him walk. It should be a rule at our club over 30 is 1 year extensions only.

Winder re-rookied is also one of the more mind boggling things I've seen, considering what he was charged with.

What I do know is I'm well and truly tired of hearing how "unlucky" we are from Covid and our unprecedented injuries. It's been 3 seasons of that tripe. 2 was enough. Time to put the big boy pants on and acknowledge some actual mistakes and changes to be made at the club, rather than raising hands in defense.

The WAFL brigade

XON - 13 touches, 2 tackles, 5 clangers + 1 miss from 20m out.

West - 14 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 good goal (probably the only one of this lot with a pass mark, given the position he played)

Trew - 9 touches at 44%, 0 tackles

Clark - 13 touches, 1 contested, 3 turnovers, 3 tackles

Foley - 11 touches, 1 contested, 2 clangers, 0 tackles

^ that lot needs to go first.

With the below getting the nudge sooner rather than later.

Rotham - 13 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 gimp uncontested mark drop ending in a direct goal to the oppo.

Petrucelle - 13 touches, 2 turnovers, 4 tackles, 1 good goal + 1 lollipop 15m pass he sat on top of Ledwards head for Pickett to jump on.

Ledwards - 11 touches, 4 clangers, 6 tackles.
Only one I possibly disagree on is Petrocelle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest we have far bigger issues than just the old blokes.

Hurn, Shuey retiring + Clark, West, Foley, Trew, Winder with Witho, XON and J.Williams as other candidates.

That’s 4 main list 3 rookie spots and 3 more possibilities for a spot to open.

Does it really matter that Naitanui got 2 years and won’t be going the end of this year?

It’s not like we don’t have quite a bit of fat to trim.

Fair question, I'm not a full time list manager, I'm a pleb, so i dont have the luxury to answer this question off the top of my head.

Naitanui definitely should not have got 2 years. That's absurd. One of Shuey or Hurn needed to pull the pin last year. Thankfully Redden did what they should've.

I wouldn't have given McGovern another 2 years recently either, if he could've got 3 elsewhere then good, let him walk. It should be a rule at our club over 30 is 1 year extensions only.

Winder re-rookied is also one of the more mind boggling things I've seen, considering what he was charged with.

What I do know is I'm well and truly tired of hearing how "unlucky" we are from Covid and our unprecedented injuries. It's been 3 seasons of that tripe. 2 was enough. Time to put the big boy pants on and acknowledge some actual mistakes and changes to be made at the club, rather than raising hands in defense.
I think Redden was pushed.
He could have continued under his contract terms and didn’t look happy about retiring. The irony was he was the most durable and hence valuable of the veterans. He was a genuine inside player who could be taking some of the heat for other players.
The club favourites got the contract and Redden got axed.

The WAFL brigade

West - 14 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 good goal (probably the only one of this lot with a pass mark, given the position he played)

Rotham - 13 touches, 1 tackle, 4 turnovers + 1 gimp uncontested mark drop ending in a direct goal to the oppo.

Petrucelle - 13 touches, 2 turnovers, 4 tackles, 1 good goal + 1 lollipop 15m pass he sat on top of Ledwards head for Pickett to jump on.

Agree with everything besides edwards I thought he’s shown a bit the last few weeks, saturday wasn’t his best game but he’s been decent in his other ones, I think he’s shown a lot more then O’Neill

Understand. However let's distinguish between an elite midfielder in the mould of Cousins, Judd, Kerr and role players like Fletcher, Braun etc.

Quite simply Cousins, Judd etc make Fletcher look good. Without them he becomes what he is - a B grade player. Freo found that out when they got Headland.

So not sure what you're talking about long term? Have a Shuey circa 2014-2018 with Yeo and Kelly means XON or even Clark would look quite OK.
I specifically stated roleplayer/depth midfielder to distinguish from the elite midfielders. I'm not saying we should have drafted a heap of gun mids at pick 32 or 45 or something, just some solid best 25 or so midfielders, but the cupboard is pretty bare.
Come on, even you can't justifiably make out that XON & Clark (or pretty much any midfielder we've drafted between the Sheed pick and the last draft or so) compare to guys like Braun, Fletcher, Rosa, Lamb etc etc.

I think Redden was pushed.
He could have continued under his contract terms and didn’t look happy about retiring. The irony was he was the most durable and hence valuable of the veterans. He was a genuine inside player who could be taking some of the heat for other players.
The club favourites got the contract and Redden got axed.
Ah well.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The WAFL brigade

Yep. You're not going to win many games when over a third of your 22 could be delisted at the end of the year and even their mums would agree it's a reasonable list management decision.

Re the injury excuses it’s common knowledge that WC did not enjoy hub footy, and went all sooky lala. If your hearts not in it that’s when you get injured.
Any footy follower knows that! So who carries the can for that??

Re the injury excuses it’s common knowledge that WC did not enjoy hub footy, and went all sooky lala. If your hearts not in it that’s when you get injured.
Any footy follower knows that! So who carries the can for that??
We weren't in a hib last year, or this year. Plus a lot of the guys on the list currently weren't at the club.

How is this relevant again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back