Opinion Round 8 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sutcliffe was outbodied in a marking contest pretty easily by Dickson on at least one occasion.

Garlett did the same to him in the demons game. I like him but he's starting to become a liability defensively.

Occasionally a defender will get beaten one-on-one. Otherwise no one would ever kick a goal.

Hopefully Cameron can gain strength to match guys five years older than him sooner rather than later.
Occasionally a defender will get beaten one-on-one. Otherwise no one would ever kick a goal.
We're not talking about gorilla forwards or blokes who are consistent inside 50 marking targets. Sutcliffe should at least be able to hold his own in a marking contest against small and medium forwards. The issue is not whether he is occasionally beaten in a marking contest, but whether he wins more than he loses. I'm not sure he does.

Yes, of course. But at AFL level, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I think Taylor's point is that one defenders mistake (or lack of excecution of a spoil) can easily make his teammate look bad.

It surprises me how often people people judge a defenders performance based on his direct opponent. There's so much more going on than just the one-on-ones you see on TV.

I wasn't judging on direct opponent and the 7 goals that's not entirely on Sutcliffe, I am making comment about the manner in which he got some of the goals.

Sure, go for the spoil but you better be sure you're going to do it that benefits but at the same time cover the exit. A set shot from where he would of marked it would be better for Freo than running in to an open goal - I could guarantee the back men would of copped a spray for not covering that space goal side which would be apart of all defenders role but nonetheless none a perfect and it happens.

Sutcliffe was outbodied in a marking contest pretty easily by Dickson on at least one occasion.
Only once. Dickson scored most of his goals while uncontested.

Dickson is not a small forward in the true sense. He is more on an undersized key forward in the Aaron Edwards mould. Has been playing high half forward more this year as Beveridge develops that part of his game. He was able to lose our running defenders in transition and found himself free inside 50.

He ia also a great set shot.

The Bulldogs small forwards, Dahlhaus and Honeychurch were well held.

I'm a big fan of Sutty, but he has lost a little confidence, has struggled this year and his field kicking & run out of defence has not been up to his normally high standard. Give him another chance this week and hope he plays a blinder.

Dickson is not a small forward in the true sense. He is more on an undersized key forward in the Aaron Edwards mould. Has been playing high half forward more this year as Beveridge develops that part of his game. He was able to lose our running defenders in transition and found himself free inside 50.

I agree. Watched the replay and there were only 2 goals of Dix when i could work out who was on him at that time. One was Sheridan and the other Sutcliffe. Otherwise he was basically running toward goals on his own.

I agree. Watched the replay and there were only 2 goals of Dix when i could work out who was on him at that time. One was Sheridan and the other Sutcliffe. Otherwise he was basically running toward goals on his own.

I think they were both on him at different times. To me it looked like Sheridan would follow Dickson/Dahlhaus up the ground and suttcliffe would stay back on the other.

Put yourself in Sutty's head. The ball is coming in high, you have two tall backs at the drop of the ball and the game plan if for them to either mark or bring the ball to ground in front of them. You are supposed to be there ready to collect the ground ball like a defensive crumber. The tall backs fail to mark and the ball spills loose to ground behind the contest, suddenly you're chasing arse and look well out of position.

Let's not forget that this is a tall, rakish outside midfielder being asked to play as a lockdown back pocket. He's done the job magnificently so far but I think eventually we need to move Sutty further up the ground and bring in Brady Grey to play his role. Nowhere near as good defensively as he was last year unfortunately, confidence appears down and it's affecting his strengths; kicking has been unusually wayward this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not talking about gorilla forwards or blokes who are consistent inside 50 marking targets. Sutcliffe should at least be able to hold his own in a marking contest against small and medium forwards. The issue is not whether he is occasionally beaten in a marking contest, but whether he wins more than he loses. I'm not sure he does.

I reckon he does.

He definitely should be better at defending marks but if the opposition smalls are being used as marking targets we win.

Visited the rents today, and the back page of the west featured the Gu. Love those training jumpers btw... Lyon was saying he is knocking on the door for a spot. But also that Sheridan for example came in and was terrific..... I dont know what he sees that I didnt?

Apart from a run down tackle he didnt do much that said .. great game at all.

Sounds like Gu is close, paper suggested duff or suban in the gun, pinch of salt and purely speculative.

Clearly we will make changes this week - great chance for us to freshen the team up (manage)

Noting the WAFL has a bye this week

A.Pearce out for Macca
Sutty out for Mz
Deboer for Croz

Smokey - Barlow for Blakey

Dickson simply had one of those games he ripped out of his arse. It happens sometimes. I had never heard of him before that game and don't expect to again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back