Shield Round 8: Victoria vs South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't get why he keeps getting a game. It's purely on his name. So many years in the team without really showing much and averages mid 30's.

Doesn't bowl and only okay in the field.
The thing is, I don't have anything against Lehmann personally, but this has been going on for more years than I care to remember. Each year he potters along making a couple of decent scores and failing for the rest of the year. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Now, okay, you can say there isn't a lot to replace him with, but you have to try something, someone new, have a look at them. Stepping up from grade to shield means facing a more concentrated attack, but conditions are better, some players respond to it, and you may find a player who steps up. I recall years ago people kept saying Paul Nobes had a questionable technique and wouldn't make it, so they refused to select him. Finally, through sheer weight of runs they had to pick him. Next minute he's having 1000 run seasons.

My point is, you never know if you don't try. I'm angry about selection in this game because last match we had a kid who shared a partnership of 75 with Daniel Drew and helped place SA in a great position to win the game. This week, for some unknown reason, they decide to weaken the batting to select another bowler. I don't think even God could tell you why. So, who do they drop? Tom Kelly. I just spat the dummy.

I've followed the SA state team since the mid 60s, this may just be the match that is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. And this is on top of watching our wonderful Sweeping daredevils in the Test team.

The thing is, I don't have anything against Lehmann personally, but this has been going on for more years than I care to remember. Each year he potters along making a couple of decent scores and failing for the rest of the year. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Now, okay, you can say there isn't a lot to replace him with, but you have to try something, someone new, have a look at them. Stepping up from grade to shield means facing a more concentrated attack, but conditions are better, some players respond to it, and you may find a player who steps up. I recall years ago people kept saying Paul Nobes had a questionable technique and wouldn't make it, so they refused to select him. Finally, through sheer weight of runs they had to pick him. Next minute he's having 1000 run seasons.

My point is, you never know if you don't try. I'm angry about selection in this game because last match we had a kid who shared a partnership of 75 with Daniel Drew and helped place SA in a great position to win the game. This week, for some unknown reason, they decide to weaken the batting to select another bowler. I don't think even God could tell you why. So, who do they drop? Tom Kelly. I just spat the dummy.

I've followed the SA state team since the mid 60s, this may just be the match that is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. And this is on top of watching our wonderful Sweeping daredevils in the Test team.
Agreed. Whether it's Kelly or another young player - they need to be given an opportunity. He at least deserves as many shots at it as they've given others. It's the only way he's going to get match-hardened 1st Class experience. I think he's got the goods to succeed but he's only just turned 22 (I think) so there's plenty of upside.

Summed up perfectly.

Lehmann has 8 100's in 68 FC games which is roughly equal to about 1 every shield season.

Will go down with Wetherald as SA players who failed to live up to their potential for whatever reason.

Really sums up SA cricket over the past 25 years. A side full of "what could have been" players.

Summed up perfectly.

Lehmann has 8 100's in 68 FC games which is roughly equal to about 1 every shield season.

Will go down with Wetherald as SA players who failed to live up to their potential for whatever reason.

Really sums up SA cricket over the past 25 years. A side full of "what could have been" players.

Agreed. Neilsen is the other one who is lucky to be continually picked. Again with a different surname there is no way he would of played so many Redbacks and Strikers games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Neilsen is the other one who is lucky to be continually picked. Again with a different surname there is no way he would of played so many Redbacks and Strikers games.
I think Nielson is a really good keeper, reckon his glovework is excellent but averages just 29 with the bat which lets him down.

Really? Your hatred of him is bizarre. He's a good reserve keeper and is a solid enough 6/7.

Really? Your hatred of him is bizarre. He's a good reserve keeper and is a solid enough 6/7.

Not sure I hate the guy, I don't know him but I think he is a massive let down with the bat. In the BBL he would be the only keeper who can't bat in the top 6.

Like Lehmann he has played alot of Cricket in an under performing Redbacks team. I think there should be others tried in his spot although Mattias hasn't done much better.

Not sure I hate the guy, I don't know him but I think he is a massive let down with the bat. In the BBL he would be the only keeper who can't bat in the top 6.

Like Lehmann he has played alot of Cricket in an under performing Redbacks team. I think there should be others tried in his spot although Mattias hasn't done much better.

I'm not sure of the entire story, but I don't think Matthias would be next in line. I have a feeling the reason he's there at the moment is he may have been the only grade keeper available on such short notice. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I'm angry about selection in this game because last match we had a kid who shared a partnership of 75 with Daniel Drew
You are angry over SA selection and for very good reason. I'd have trouble being a diehard Redback supporter and not have to spit the dummy when SACA have made a habit of ignoring home grown talent for imports, hanging onto dead wood like Jake Lehmann and dropping players too soon without giving them a fair crack. I too have been spitting dummies and tearing out my hair for decades over bizarre Blues selections and non selections and ignoring promising players, Jackson Bird, Joe Mennie, Tim Ward, Henry Hunt and many others, hanging onto has beens such as Moses Henriques in preference to blooding a newbie who is scoring big Second X1 runs, denying their rookies at least a taste of first class experience, then jettisoning them from the rookies bench at the end of the season. Surprised I have any hair left.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the entire story, but I don't think Matthias would be next in line. I have a feeling the reason he's there at the moment is he may have been the only grade keeper available on such short notice. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.
He was going to play second XI and has done so apart from when Nielsen was playing in there.

He was going to play second XI and has done so apart from when Nielsen was playing in there.

Seemed to be a number of annoyed people on social media who don't rate him. Your right he has been the 2X1 keeper so seemed to be the logical replacement.

Is it just me or does Manenti have a horrible technique?

You see him miss a ball and he looks like a number 11 then he times one and looks a gun
He's a strange one, played some aesthetically beautiful shots in the one dayer against WA. Lofted straight drive off Paris for four which was as beautiful a looking shot as could be.

Good win. If Tassie can hold WA to a draw either this round or next we can still host the final if we win our last two, although BP will come into play for that. Might be the only way to stop a back to back treble for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back