Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 103-37 West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the whole match and there were a lot of things to be pleased, even excited about. Crisp’s first half was outstanding, Nick what can you say, Josh huge second half, Sidey genius playing him off half back, great coaching, Joe Richards looks a natural and chased, defended, tackled really well contrary to what was a perceived weakness coming in, Sullivan clean with the ground balls and good awareness, Pendles, Cameron, Frampton, Bruzzy…………. the whole team actually.
General observations: the holding the ball interpretation has definitely changed this year. Can’t remember hearing “no prior” from the umps in any match, players seem to have a bit more time. I think it suits us though perhaps a bit too much leeway given at times.
We can be better overhead marking but so dangerous at ground level it’s not hurting us.
We are sticking tackles really well and just have another player ready to come in and support, brilliant.
Very happy😊

Just watching the replay after getting home from the game. heck I hate listening to Brereton we usually dont have to put up with his wank. Already talking some s**t about how Cox has never played a good game against WCE. Who dominated the 2020 EF in Perth then Dermie u pseudointellectual knob.

Being at Footy Live is great as don't have to listen to the Commentators talk shit

9.2 from a third tall forward in essentially 4.5 games is a good return for a 'good honest footballer', no?
It is, if he’s good enough to stay in the side, which so far has been the case, and he continues on that vein which history would suggest he doesn’t. Looks just a player. Hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a quasi Jack Gunston.

Disappointed with the injuries but pleased with the performance. To easily get over 100 with a make shift forward line is impressive.

Was McInnes injured or is he just slow? I never considered McInnes to be slow but a couple of his chases were poor.

It was super disappointing to observe how security and management deal with crowd issues. A guy (drinking but very sober) in standing room was yelling during the game (nothing really curse, more just constant). A youngish couple (sitting in the back row) complained as it was spoiling their enjoyment. Common sense would say either a) if you are that offended then move to another area or b) ask the guy in standing room to move one bay across.

However the solution of Stadium management was to call police and basically antagonise the guy and then kick him out. Absolute joke both from Police and stadium management.
So you would have been happy for the jerk to be left alone so he could continue his antics?

If you felt so strongly at this injustice why didn’t you protest to the stadium staff.

It seems to me being held accountable for his behavior was a logical outcome.

I dont know whats worse... a ballarat thing maybe. We had cows to keep the grass down, lots of cow poo. Did not hurt, it was soft and warm...but, nah it was ok
What about the old glue pot centres back in the day, my old days at Preston, the ruck would tap the ball to the ground and the ball just stuck there, then 3 blokes would jump on it and they would get stuck on the ground with the ball, lol.

Well that was very different to the last time to the last time we played the Eagles at Marvel! Loved Joey Richards game so much. Add me to the list of people who wrote him off last year. Obviously needs to be able to do it against stronger oppositions as well, but I was not expecting for him to consistently do everything right like he did. He was as impressive as he could have been given the circumstances. I don't see how he can force his way into our best 22 this year, but its pleasing to know he is there ready to go if we need him.

In terms of the other players, I just love watching Pendles, Daics and Crisp when they're on top. With Howe being taken out of the backline, Cameron's ability to sit behind the ball and intercept was critical. He did it perfectly. That gives me comfort we can cover tall forward lines like Adelaide's while Howe is out.

It was interesting to observe McRae and Wade in deep conversation at 3QT. No doubt they were concerned about how to get the players through the game and ready to back up against Adelaide in 6 days time. I'd love to see the GPS numbers Q1-3 compared to Q4. Preservation mode was the obvious call going into the last quarter and I'm pleased they made it. Richards was one of the players who was clearly spent but couldn't get off the ground at all.

Nick Daicos: A+

A huge game in the midfield for the young superstar. Will end up getting another three votes as he begins to make a Brownlow push. Finished with 36 disposals, seven tackles, seven clearances and a goal. Wow.

Jack Crisp: A+

Another great performance from Crisp who has thrived since being moved back into the midfield a fortnight ago. Finished with a goal and 32 touches.

Josh Daicos: A

Was massive in the second half and ruled a wing. Also hit the scoreboard.

Scott Pendlebury: A

All class, all day. Finished with 28 disposals playing primarily in the midfield.

Joe Richards: A

A brilliant debut game as a fast half forward with neat skills. Had 14 disposals and a goal in the first half alone. Also picked up eight score involvements. Has to stay in the team next week.

Fin Macrae: A

Looked comfortable in his midfield/half-forward role and he finished with three majors to show for it. Another youngster that deserves to keep his place.

Darcy Cameron: B

Easily won his ruck matchup against Bailey Williams and got a heap of footy around the ground with disposals.

Steele Sidebottom: B+

Looked like his old self on the wing with 21 disposals.

Pat Lipinski: B+

Reef McInnes: B+

Kicked three and provided Collingwood a great target with most of their forwards out.

John Noble: B+

Continues to offer some great drive off half back and is becoming a best 22 lock.

Brayden Maynard: B+

Bobby Hill: B+

Kicked two and showed some moments of brilliance inside 50 but could have done more damage if he kicked straight.

Lachie Sullivan: B+

Kicked a goal to go with 18 disposals. Looks at the level every time you see him with ball in hand.

Billy Frampton: B

Darcy Moore: B

Will Hoskin-Elliott: B

Had 17 disposals as a half forward but missed a couple of gettable opportunities at goal.

Mason Cox: C

Isaac Quaynor: C

Oleg Markov: C-

Jack Bytel: N/A

Was subbed on for Howe in the second term but was forced to undergo a concussion test late in the third term in his club debut.

Jeremy Howe: N/A

Started forward and kicked a goal but was subbed out early with a groin injury.

Harvey Harrison: N/A

Went down in the second term with an ankle injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really fair on Bobby saying he could have kicked more if he kicked straight. His kicking was just fine. It was those ugly, long fingers of the Eagles defenders which denied him of at least 2 sure goals.

Great performance. Very satisfying to sit back relaxed and content with what the team produced.

Interesting to see our primary method of scoring today was off stoppage, particularly centre clearances which is a shift away from the way we've typically played under Fly with our turnover game. It's a good sign where we're adapting and showing flexibility with our style, rather than being one-dimensional. I still think turnover is king come finals, but it's very encouraging that we're winning in different ways, making ourselves more unpredictable for opposition teams to counter.

The highlight of the day were our newbies and fringe players shining on the big stage, partly forced by injury circumstances leading into the game. They all exceeded my expectations which was fantastic. Loved Richards' first half performance on debut. One of the finest debut performances I've seen in a long time. Nice to see Fin and Reef given full game time to show what they were capable of producing when given the chance.

The older brigade were excellent. Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp all outstanding in their roles today. I hope this is a turning point for Sidebottom and Crisp as they will be pivotal to any success we might have in 2024.

Loved N Daicos' performance, especially through the middle when we were dominating clearances. Darcy Cameron is going under the radar somewhat, but he's been a very consistent player this year and deserves more recognition than he receives.

The injuries to Howe, Harrison and Bytel were the only sour note of the day. Hopefully they won't be absent for too long, but our depth will be really tested in the short-term. From what I can gather, only Schultz might return next week agains the Crows so match committee will have to be innovative again.

5-1-3 and finally sitting in the top 8. We're gradually rising up the ladder :sunglasses:

So you would have been happy for the jerk to be left alone so he could continue his antics?

If you felt so strongly at this injustice why didn’t you protest to the stadium staff.

It seems to me being held accountable for his behavior was a logical outcome.

How did you reach the conclusion that the person was a jerk? What behavior is he accountable for? Just to clarify he was not over the top with swearing (I did not hear any swearing) - ' welcome to the AFL Harley Reid' - it was literally those type of comments but in a loud voice.

I used to be a regular in M10, M32 (mcg), Aisle 42 (Docklands) and the behavior today was very very mild.

When the Police / Stadium management have made their mind then a 'protest' only ends one way. They are very good at talking down at people.

If that is the tolerance level then you would have a lot of evictions on a weekly basis. Lol

My issue wasn’t Barass beating Cox

Everyone that competed against Cox, be it in the ruck, in the air or in the forward line, beat him.

Which is disappointing when the tallest West Coast player was still a head or more shorter than him

Cox always has the same problem, he can't read the ball and rather than attempting to mark the ball with those long arms in front of him where he would win a lot of free kicks with chopping the arm if he doesn't mark it, he always runs underneath the flight meaning it always be either on top of his head making for an easy spoil or behind him.

Considering McGovern sat on the bench the whole second half injured, he should have had a field day up forward.

Anyhow good win by the guys, the younger crew stepped up today, the injuries the only downer.

Harrison left the ground walking in a moonboot but wasn't limping so who knows how long that injury will entail. Macrae also left the ground with icing strapped below his knee but that seemed more precautionary than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news at least to also hear Harrison is just a sprained ankle and not major.

Very good news.

Flys press conferences are a thing of beauty. There are always nuggets of gold. I Love how he spoke about Joe Richards and the work he has put in etc and Steelo. The players would be lapping that up.

How did you reach the conclusion that the person was a jerk? What behavior is he accountable for? Just to clarify he was not over the top with swearing (I did not hear any swearing) - ' welcome to the AFL Harley Reid' - it was literally those type of comments but in a loud voice.

I used to be a regular in M10, M32 (mcg), Aisle 42 (Docklands) and the behavior today was very very mild.

When the Police / Stadium management have made their mind then a 'protest' only ends one way. They are very good at talking down at people.

If that is the tolerance level then you would have a lot of evictions on a weekly basis. Lol
You don't get thrown out for commentary like that. Hell, even with swearing and acting like an idiot you would get a warning.

Something else must have happened for police to get involved and eject him.

What about the old glue pot centres back in the day, my old days at Preston, the ruck would tap the ball to the ground and the ball just stuck there, then 3 blokes would jump on it and they would get stuck on the ground with the ball, lol.
I played on one ground where that basaltic clay was so thick that guys were running around in their socks because their boots were still stuck in the mud

Ok so hear me out on this. I think we’ve found 2 players to replace Tay Adams. Sullivan around the ball and centre square and Finn for that high mid/hf role that Tay didn’t like and was one of the reasons he left plus the longer contract.

Anyway Sullivan is definitely an unexpected surprise this year, his mature age and experience has made it seem like he’s been playing AFL for years. This gives us the time to make sure players like ED Allen are ready before we have to play them. If we didn’t have Sullivan Allen probably would’ve had to play and he’s not ready. Like when Bucks played Begg for a couple of games instead of Cox and Begg was up against Witts. 🤦 Talk about dumb selection, Fly doesn’t do that.

Anyway good to see the new players get some confidence today, imagine if we had an AFL quality forward line today instead of our VFL one today?

You don't get thrown out for commentary like that. Hell, even with swearing and acting like an idiot you would get a warning.

Something else must have happened for police to get involved and eject him.

It was literally a lady in her 30's went to security and complained that the guy had been yelling all game and it was ruining her enjoyment of the game. Her boy friend /male friend backed her up etc. Neither party in the exchange swore at each other.

It's almost like she had never sat behind standing room before lol

Anyway security at first came over and had a chat. The guy was like what have I done wrong? I'm not swearing etc

It basically escalated from there.

If I understand correctly it took so long to remove him as the initial behavior was probably not enough. Hence they talk and talk and talk until they get an excuse and then bang you are out. Disgraceful.

I remember the GWS final last year - there was a GWS fan (dressed in a giants suit) on Level 2 Pony end whose sole purpose was to annoy the Collingwood fans. I reckon at least 5 to 10 people complained to security and nothing happened. This guy certainly used language that lets say was colourful and not appropriate for kids. Yet the complaint fell on deaf ears. Now deliberately provoking fans is not on and that should result in an eviction.

Ok so hear me out on this. I think we’ve found 2 players to replace Tay Adams. Sullivan around the ball and centre square and Finn for that high mid/hf role that Tay didn’t like and was one of the reasons he left plus the longer contract.

Anyway Sullivan is definitely an unexpected surprise this year, his mature age and experience has made it seem like he’s been playing AFL for years. This gives us the time to make sure players like ED Allen are ready before we have to play them. If we didn’t have Sullivan Allen probably would’ve had to play and he’s not ready. Like when Bucks played Begg for a couple of games instead of Cox and Begg was up against Witts. 🤦 Talk about dumb selection, Fly doesn’t do that.

Anyway good to see the new players get some confidence today, imagine if we had an AFL quality forward line today instead of our VFL one today?
Begg debuted & played 3 games in 2022 under McRae

Sounds like a good honest footballer then. Congrats to him. I’m hoping someone else better may play his spot. Sadly like Ollie Henry would do.
Man, the kid kicked 3 goals and for 3 quarters by and large managed to at least halve most of his contests against one of the best intercept markers in the game. If Ollie had exactly the same game for us you’d be thrilled.

Your posts on Reef are weird.

Man, the kid kicked 3 goals and for 3 quarters by and large managed to at least halve most of his contests against one of the best intercept markers in the game. If Ollie had exactly the same game for us you’d be thrilled.

Your posts on Reef are weird.
Reef has a couple advantages over Henry: pace and height. Definitely quicker and 194cm to Ollie's 189cm. Not to say that Henry's no good or that Reef will clearly be better, but Henry has limits on his ceiling.

He does have decent hands, but what he lacks atm is strength. If he's able to add to that and work better in one on ones I think he'll be very good. Already think he's good enough for a young 194cm player, they usually do take a bit longer. Coming along pretty well.

It is, if he’s good enough to stay in the side, which so far has been the case, and he continues on that vein which history would suggest he doesn’t. Looks just a player. Hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a quasi Jack Gunston.
He is still 21 and a month older then Nick and playing as our full foward. There is still a lot of potential development still. I'm not writing him off this early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back