Saints number on your back

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed in the Nick Riewoldt Champion thread we all branched off talking about some of our other wonderful champions.
Just want to get some responses to what players you guys and gals had on the back of your Saints Jumpers when you were young & even on the back of the old duffle coats :p
I started with number 9 on my first jumper in the 70's. That was the big kicking ( and even bigger drinking) Val Perovic. Very good player Val. But to be honest I only chose that number because I was nine yrs old at the time:D
By the time the late 70's came around , myself along with 10,000 other kids were in awe of the great Barks. So 9 came off and 1 went on. Then i remember Barks being out for a while injured in the early 80's so I went out and got a 0 and got mum to move the 1 over a little so I could have the number 10 for Michael Roberts.
Young kids today don't realize how easy they have it just getting a heat pressed number put on.
Our poor mothers had to painstakingly hand sew the numbers on the back. Im lucky my dear old mum never bled to death from a thousand pin pricks cos I changed my number so often:D
Then of course Barks came back so the 0 was taken off and the 1 put back proudly in the middle:thumbsu:
Barks stayed there until I got a new jumper in the mid 80's . Much to my mums bleeding finger tips relief you could get iron on numbers by this stage. By now I had grown fond for Joffa Cunninghams dash & pointy elbows flying around so I went out and got a number 5.
But still no relief for mum because by this stage it was trendy to also have the players name on the back of the jumper. So no easy ironing on of a simple number 5 for her. I wanted G E O F F - C U N N I N G H A M ironed on. BUT!!!!! I wanted one letter red, the next white, then red again and so on. I thought I was doing her a favour replacing her bleeding fingers with burnt ones :p
That number 5 was the last number I wore proudly on my back as a kid.
Whenever I go to the games nowdays and look at a sea of number 12's and 7's on the young supporters in the crowd it always brings back fond memories of being a Saints loving kid.

I noticed in the Nick Riewoldt Champion thread we all branched off talking about some of our other wonderful champions.
Just want to get some responses to what players you guys and gals had on the back of your Saints Jumpers when you were young & even on the back of the old duffle coats :p
I started with number 9 on my first jumper in the 70's. That was the big kicking ( and even bigger drinking) Val Perovic. Very good player Val. But to be honest I only chose that number because I was nine yrs old at the time:D
By the time the late 70's came around , myself along with 10,000 other kids were in awe of the great Barks. So 9 came off and 1 went on. Then i remember Barks being out for a while injured in the early 80's so I went out and got a 0 and got mum to move the 1 over a little so I could have the number 10 for Michael Roberts.
Young kids today don't realize how easy they have it just getting a heat pressed number put on.
Our poor mothers had to painstakingly hand sew the numbers on the back. Im lucky my dear old mum never bled to death from a thousand pin pricks cos I changed my number so often:D
Then of course Barks came back so the 0 was taken off and the 1 put back proudly in the middle:thumbsu:
Barks stayed there until I got a new jumper in the mid 80's . Much to my mums bleeding finger tips relief you could get iron on numbers by this stage. By now I had grown fond for Joffa Cunninghams dash & pointy elbows flying around so I went out and got a number 5.
But still no relief for mum because by this stage it was trendy to also have the players name on the back of the jumper. So no easy ironing on of a simple number 5 for her. I wanted G E O F F - C U N N I N G H A M ironed on. BUT!!!!! I wanted one letter red, the next white, then red again and so on. I thought I was doing her a favour replacing her bleeding fingers with burnt ones :p
That number 5 was the last number I wore proudly on my back as a kid.
Whenever I go to the games nowdays and look at a sea of number 12's and 7's on the young supporters in the crowd it always brings back fond memories of being a Saints loving kid.

Good post!

I was the same as you growing up.

Barks was my idol growing up and it was number 1 on my duffel coat. I then moved to number 5 and Joffa. He was never the most skillful but no one tried harder than he!! Also had badges on the duffel coat. Greg Burns was on there - the tough centreman! Jeff Dunne - the bearded back pocket player who was regularly our only Vic representative for many years!!

Ah the memories!

18 after Goddard's first year. I have a signed and framed Goddard jumper I don't know what to do with.

After BJ left, I went to 2 because I liked Siposs. For the moment its officially a Danny Frawley/Aaron Hamill throwback. ;)

If anything you were doing your mum a favour, a new number is over $100 these days, because you have to buy a whole new jumper.

Being relatively young, I got my first jumper around about 2000, which I think had number 12 on the back for a very young and promising Riewoldt. Although it might have been number 3 for Burky.. I didn't have that one for too long before I grew out of it.
Once I grew out of it, my dad went to the club's clearance sale where they were getting rid of old player issue jumpers. He found one that looked about the right size, which just happened to have number 4 on the back, worn by Andrew Thompson at the time. It was one of those hot cross buns guernseys from the late 90s, but strangely had the VFL logo instead of AFL (with an AFL patch sewn over it). I soon found out that Plugger and the Doc had worn 4, so I always felt like it had a bit of history to it.
By 2010 I'd grown out of that one, so I got a new ISC jumper with number 18 on it, for, ummm, Cowboy Neale? I think there was some mediocre player wearing it at the time (;)), but it's since passed through Spencaaa onto Longer. I still wear it to the footy, and can't see myself replacing it for some time.

had number 7 after nicky on a home made jumper my nana made for me.. had this between the ages of probably 4 and 7... soon as I was 7 (1997) it was 5 there on out until I out grew wearing numbers on the back of my top... would have been 26 for sure after Aussie though, and now I would get a 15 :)

My first number was 19 for Allan Davis who was my favourite player as a kid due to his freakish skills and goalkicking prowess, but even though I was only young I could tell that he was a bit lazy and inconsistent times and would sometimes go off his nut and belt blokes. He was always entertaining! Back in the late 60's and early 70's the cheaper and (therefore more popular) option was these big white vinyl squares with black numbers on them (they were only about 20c at the newsagent). You just sowed them onto the back of your jumper with a bit of cotton and they would last until the cotton started to tear then you'd just re-sow them. Davis kind of justified my faith in him when he bagged six goals in our big win over Richmond in the 1971 Preliminary Final, before he played a shocker in the Grand Final the follwing week. I was too young to appreciate the 1966 win so 1971 was my first experience of the Saints in a Grand final. It's a pity Davis picked the wrong week to play a blinder.

Number 35 from age 4 onwards. Don't have numbered guernsey these days, but if I did I would probably still get 35 as tribute the great man. Have also worn it every sport I've played for good luck, although it didn't seem to make me any less crap most of the time.

Never done a number on a saints guernsey.

I got number 3 on my Rugby Jersey's. But that's because I was a chunky young lad and played tighthead :p

Got 7 on my celtic Jersey for the great Henrik Larsson, but then went with 31 (simply because it's mine, I can't recall a Celtic Player actually being on the field with it).

Would probably go 3 again if I went for a number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never had a duffle coat or guernsey, only had Saints polo shirts and you can't really sew a number on to those.

If I had a number it definitely would've been Plugger's no.4 to start with followed by either the no.7 for Winmar and Lenny, no.35 for Robert Harvey or no.12 for Riewoldt, in the future it would probably be either no.3 for Steven, no.14 for Geary or no.28 for Stanley.

I got number 3 on my Rugby Jersey's. But that's because I was a chunky young lad and played tighthead :p

I was a hooker in rugby so it was no.2 for me which would have made me an Aaron Hamill or Arryn Siposs fan.

Last edited:
As a child of the 1970's my first Saints jumper proudly had #1 on the back. Until Plugger came along I reckon 95% of kids in Saints jumpers had Barks' number.

Mid-late teens went to Buckets' #23 for some reason even though Nicky was my favorite player.

Kind of grew out of wearing numbers during my 20's but did add a #7 to a new jumper worn for the 2010 season. That jumper has been permanently retired.

I've now got one of the 140th Anniversary guernseys but no number adorns it. I do have a 1996 Centenary game guernsey that I can still fit into & have thought about adding the #7 as homage to my favorite Saint, Neil Elvis.

Very happy to have my two little Sainters wearing #15 (my 6 year old daughter's choice) & #12 (my little guy loves Wooey).

I remember picking out the number 44 for my first game after spida Everitt, my former favourite player (caused i liked spiderman as a kid) defected to the hawks. Milney top scored that day with 4 goals against North I think 2003. Proudly wore that up until last year.

I have a few Saints jumpers, some which have numbers, some without.

#4 - Tony Lockett 1991 AFL St Kilda Jersey (Philip Morris Sponsored) my absolute favourite
No Number - 1992 or 1993 AFL St Kilda Jersey (Tooheys Sponsored)
No Number - Early 2000's AFL St Kilda Jersey (Mortgage Choice Sponsored)
No Number - 2009 or 2010ish AFL St Kilda Jersey (Jeldwin Sponsored)
#7 - Lenny Hayes 2011 AFL St Kilda Jersey (Centrebet Sponsored)

would absolutely love to add to my collection, particularly with some VFL (SnoDeli) sponsored ones, preferably if they fit me :)

nothing beats the good old acrylic jumpers

Yeah I prefer the old school collared woollen jumpers like this one.

1000x1000.jpg

The new tight fit jumpers don't do much for me, they look OK on superfit players but they don't look too good on supporters that are carrying a few extra kilos.

Last edited:
Have an 18 at the moment, was sad when BJ left, happy when Spence arrived. Unfortunately I hide it anyway, I have the name on it.

Funny story re this, I was using the bathroom at a Saints vs Essendon game in 2012 (Milney's 250, we smashed them and BJ was out suspended after he threw a hissy fit at tagger) and a Saints fan said to me, when we were up by about 10 goals, "who needs Goddard?". I laughed and agreed with him at the time, of course all the hype was surrounding his involvement with Freo. Last Saturday proved how right he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back