Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Reid played very well despite the commentators getting stuck into him at every opportunity. Two mistakes stood out. One easy mark dropped and silly kick into man on the mark but a truck load of positives to balance the ledger.

His missed kick to Goodes in the dying minutes cost the Swans 4 points, but his mark gave 2 back.

But he looked better playing up the ground - a role he should do more often with his speed and pressure, imo. At this stage he is suited to the 3rd tall forward role, very hard to match up and reads the play well. How we miss LRT/Tippet.

The problem with Sam Reid is that he's no Jeremy Cameron. And he was supposed to be.

Now we're gonna have to work out what to do with him. Hence the length of this thread.

Article about Sam Reid in the Herald Sun Today

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ey-swans-paddock/story-fni5fan7-1226647194611

Moving Reid into the backline against Hawthorn and briefly against Fremantle, Longmire said his 21-year-old key forward is capable of interchanging between the forward line and defence after taking a dominant 11 marks all over the ground against Fremantle.

"He can do that because he's athletic enough to play both ends,'' Longmire said.

"That's something that we'll look at if we need to.

The problem with Sam Reid is that he's no Jeremy Cameron. And he was supposed to be.

Now we're gonna have to work out what to do with him. Hence the length of this thread.

Jeremy Cameron's aren't as commonplace as everyone thinks (He is a rarity and is going to be a fantastic player).

Secondly Sam is still yet to really fill out his body, And this may take a few more years to complete.

Thirdly our game plans are vastly different and I would wager a rather hefty amount of money that GWS kick the ball to Cameron more often than we kick the ball to Reid (This is simply due to a difference in game plan and the fact we present more options than GWS do at this point in time (Look at the targets our midfielders and our ruckman create))

And finally they are completely different players Reid is coming more of that lead up the ground CHF whilst Cameron plays CHF he stays closer to goal a fair bit more.

Jeremy Cameron's aren't as commonplace as everyone thinks (He is a rarity and is going to be a fantastic player).

Secondly Sam is still yet to really fill out his body, And this may take a few more years to complete.

Thirdly our game plans are vastly different and I would wager a rather hefty amount of money that GWS kick the ball to Cameron more often than we kick the ball to Reid (This is simply due to a difference in game plan and the fact we present more options than GWS do at this point in time (Look at the targets our midfielders and our ruckman create))

And finally they are completely different players Reid is coming more of that lead up the ground CHF whilst Cameron plays CHF he stays closer to goal a fair bit more.

I agree with your observation about Jeremy Cameron.

But Sam Reid has not done anything to justify the frenzy of expectation that led to him signing a five year deal.

We all thought he was going to be a gun forward. Now Longmire says he has no issues with him playing down back.

We're not getting what we paid for.

But Sam Reid has not done anything to justify the frenzy of expectation that led to him signing a five year deal.

We all thought he was going to be a gun forward. Now Longmire says he has no issues with him playing down back.

How much did we pay? Locking up a key position player (whether forward or back) is never a bad idea. He is still a kid, and I'm guessing the idea wasn't for him to have a breakout last year or this year, but to ensure that he is still tied to the Swans when he finally does.

He might not be kicking goals, but he is doing a lot of other things right.

I still think he will be a gun forward.

You know, most potential KP forwards his age are still struggling in the reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not surprise me one bit that when Tippett and LRT come in that Reid and LRT get changed over during games a hell of a lot ,if Reid starts forward and is not hitting the score board swap them over , I think Reid could do LRTs job down back without a doubt and we all no LRT can hit the score board great last year up forward , but atm he needs to stay FWD I think due to no other talls down there , but when Tippett and LRT are in that could work well ,makes it harder on other teams no doubt.

Would not surprise me one bit that when Tippett and LRT come in that Reid and LRT get changed over during games a hell of a lot ,if Reid starts forward and is not hitting the score board swap them over , I think Reid could do LRTs job down back without a doubt and we all no LRT can hit the score board great last year up forward , but atm he needs to stay FWD I think due to no other talls down there , but when Tippett and LRT are in that could work well ,makes it harder on other teams no doubt.

If nothing else, Tippett gives us versatility.

If nothing else, Tippett gives us versatility.
Yep no doubt and its not just about 1 player ,Tippett will no doubt take the best defender every week which will then free up LRT or REID to hit the score board depending which end of the ground one of them is at , our structure will change a hell of a lot when them 2 come in , versatility is a massive bonus look at Geelong ,Taylor has been goin FWD and back hitting the scoreboard while FWD, Lonergan drifted down to the FWD line against the Bombers and kicked a couple, versatility is a huge weapon and I think LRT and Reid could be the best 2 swingman in the comp

You'd have to think a forward who was as good as John Longmire is getting Reid's best out of him at the moment.

This is what I try to wrap my head around. Horse knows the value of a forward line, yet can't seem to build one up here. You can imagine how frustrated he would be if he was on the end of some of the delivery into the forward 50.

Then again, it's not like he is teaching Sam Reid how to drop marks.

Man there's some negativity on here when we drop some games.

The young KPP who has had a ridiculous amount of pressure thrown onto his shoulders the last 2 years, who is still developing and is in no way even close to the level some on here somehow magically expect him to be overnight... just dropped a mark (after trying his gut out and managing to save 2 points).... Drop him! Drop him! They say *pitchfork in hand*

You try take a mark in the fwd 50 with that pathetic supply... Let alone trying to carry the expectation of being 'the' key fwd when your not even filled out and fully developed as a footballer yet. It isn't going to happen over night but it will happen. Reid is going to be a beast. Mark my words.

I think Horse was doing the reasonable thing and trying to get Reid into the game. Simple confidence boosting move. Also, if Reid can play Fwd/Back ala LRT then his value has risen not dropped surely. He is more valuable as a key fwd who can play back as opposed to just a key Fwd isn't he? So why the critisim? He is developing and only very VERY young for the role we're expecting of him. As others have said, most boys his age playing his position are only just pushing for a seniors spot. He's essentially taken on the #1 Fwd mantle at the reigning premiers FFS... He's well and truely ahead of most his age and role.

It will be one of those things, we don't see amazing results straight away so we'll give up on him only to lose what could become an absolute superstar given the time, patience and effort we put into him.

Have some faith negative nancys. When Reid finally starts coming good I hope you realise how foolish you were to call for his head after a couple of poor team performances.

Man there's some negativity on here when we drop some games.

You try take a mark in the fwd 50 with that pathetic supply...
I think negativity is saying one of the best midfields in the league provides 'pathetic supply'. Why are you hating on the rest of the side?

I think negativity is saying one of the best midfields in the league provides 'pathetic supply'. Why are you hating on the rest of the side?
I'm not going to get into an argument about this and end up going back and forth here mate. What I will say is that I said we had a bad team performance. That includes Sammy as well as just about every other player on our list. It's not negative to say we didn't play as well as I know we can. It's negative to say drop people based on 1-2 bad games and jumping all over 1-2 mistakes. I don't think we should drop anyone for trying their guts out. No matter the skill errors they made. Attitude and choosing the wrong options (against the team gameplan etc) are reasons to drop someone. Not skill errors. IMO.

Sam Reid is going to be a very good player and already is a good player. He lacks a little bit of confidence at the moment and that is obvious at times but we have to expect that with a young player. Im sure all of you will look back at this thread around round 15 after tippet has played a few games and go wow with Tippet and reid in our forward line we are going to the finals swinging, we are just unfortunate at the moment that we dont have another big target up forward to drag a teams number one defender away from Sam usually LRT drags the key defender away and deep to the goal square but he's not there. Either way i look forward to reading this thread around round 15 and going i told you so!

Sam Reid is going to be a very good player and already is a good player. He lacks a little bit of confidence at the moment and that is obvious at times but we have to expect that with a young player. Im sure all of you will look back at this thread around round 15 after tippet has played a few games and go wow with Tippet and reid in our forward line we are going to the finals swinging, we are just unfortunate at the moment that we dont have another big target up forward to drag a teams number one defender away from Sam usually LRT drags the key defender away and deep to the goal square but he's not there. Either way i look forward to reading this thread around round 15 and going i told you so!
Nice one mate spot on, Tippett will take the best defender week in week out , Pyke who is the number 1 contested mark in the AFL atm will take the number 2 defender good luck to ever that is, Reid and LRT to swing from end to end which makes our defence very strong again and which ever 1 plays forward takes the 3rd defender good luck with that also, get through the nexted 3 without to much damage then LRT SHAW TIPPETT in will change the hole structure of the side no doubt , FWD line very strong BACK line strong again ,Great MIDS , no doubt with no injuries in the second half we will be in a better team than last year and look who was holding that cup on GF day , might even get to see ROHAN this year which is an even bigger boost to that side

,get through the nexted 3 with not to much damage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back