jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
This season will be an interesting one in the SANFL purely for the AFL listed big men hanging around just to give you an idea, i'm assuming Primus, Lade, Brogan, Clarke, Biglands and Hudson will all be regularily unavaliable.

Norwood - Meesen
Glenelg - Kruger, Andrews, Willts
Port Adelaide - Maric
Centrals - Jonathon Griffin
Sturt - Fabien De Luca
Eagles - Dale Ellis

This must be a good thing for the development of our players :) , however this does seem a bit harsh on South missing Brogan, Lade and Clarke!

Nah Ellis for CHF or maybe FF. Kicked 7 in a trial the other day, complete gun IMO. Not enuff room for him at Port, we should make a massive play for him at the end of the year. Having him and Watts in the foward line in the future would be a twin towers combo to behold.

Ive been impressed with Ellis in the past but from various trials ive seen him play witht he Power...hes nowhere near AFL standard and i have doubts if he ever will be. Wizard Showdown was a good oppurtunity for him to show what hes got and he failed. Big time. Barely had a kick and saw him shirk out of contests a couple of times that a guy his size should not even consider.

Thunderstruck said:
Nah Ellis for CHF or maybe FF. Kicked 7 in a trial the other day, complete gun IMO. Not enuff room for him at Port, we should make a massive play for him at the end of the year. Having him and Watts in the foward line in the future would be a twin towers combo to behold.

sorry mate i beg to differ - IMO Ellis just doesnt have that x factor to make it in AFL (other than a 2nd string back-up) - i tend to agree with Macca19's assessment

i think we should be rebuilding towards a premiership and experience has shown the type of players we need to do that - the AFC is on the right track with the type of players drafted recently but a long way to go and many more to be drafted

re CHF & FF - i think Watts is a more natural CHF and would prefer to see him play in that position (not FF where he has played a lot for the eagles and where his development has been stifled somewhat IMO)
Krueger is my choice for FF.
Its a pity that OP and back injuries have hindered Watts and Kruegers development in the last 18 mths

Wayne's-World said:
Really happy that Maric is playing under John Cahill - will learn heaps.

And Meeson at Norwood is also a great club to develope at. :)

so am I! even though i hate Ports i've always been a fan of Jack's style (well he actually was a South Adelaide product!) and i would be happy for any of our Crows players to play under his coaching style
- in fact i reckon Doughty would do well to have a year of Cahill on his back - i'm sure that would overcome Dogger's biggest deficiency

Macca19 said:
Ive been impressed with Ellis in the past but from various trials ive seen him play witht he Power...hes nowhere near AFL standard and i have doubts if he ever will be. Wizard Showdown was a good oppurtunity for him to show what hes got and he failed. Big time. Barely had a kick and saw him shirk out of contests a couple of times that a guy his size should not even consider.
Well summed up.

He is a bit like Biglands in that he teases you with his potential but he never delivers on it.

Stiffy_18 said:
Well summed up.

He is a bit like Biglands in that he teases you with his potential but he never delivers on it.

Could it be the Woodville West Torrens syndrome which was brought up a few weeks ago in another thread?

definitely agree about ellis, i went to see the eagles last yr hoping to see watts rip them to bits, but ellis was an absolute standout, i thought at the time who is this guy.

Theres a couple of things going against him though, i'm not sure how much older than watts he is, he might be 21ish so he needs more improvement. And i saw another eagles game later in the yr, and ellis was coming back from a knee injury and he looked a shell of his early form. by that stage watts had overtaken him, and ferg looked the much better player. Considering watts was a first rounder and ellis was a rookie pick there aint a lot of difference though.

BTW, why have a couple of you been saying ferg is a CHF, from what he has shown so far at the eagles he was very deep. he seems to lack the mobility to be a CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

johnnypanther said:
so am I! even though i hate Ports i've always been a fan of Jack's style (well he actually was a South Adelaide product!) and i would be happy for any of our Crows players to play under his coaching style
- in fact i reckon Doughty would do well to have a year of Cahill on his back - i'm sure that would overcome Dogger's biggest deficiency

No thanks, Doughty is not the type we want at the Port Magpies, Rutten, Massie & Rielly would be welcome though

outback jack said:
BTW, why have a couple of you been saying ferg is a CHF, from what he has shown so far at the eagles he was very deep. he seems to lack the mobility to be a CHF.
His mobility I suspect has been affected by OP.
Also it's an area of the game he does need to work on and if Quinton Lynch can be turned from a draft horse to a snappy mover then I think we'll see good improvement from Fergus in this area.

Saw the Crows preview on Foxtel Friday - interesting comments from NC on Fergus- not good

Indicated he came from Melbourne over the season break in average condition with some niggling injuries.

He also said that it has only been since January that his training has been up to AFL standard :(

Not good signs of a work effort required to be a top quality AFL player and reinforces my view on why he hasn't built up his body more than he has - poor effort!

Asgardian said:
No thanks, Doughty is not the type we want at the Port Magpies, Rutten, Massie & Rielly would be welcome though
Iam disappointed that everyone has written off Massie, yet your view is obviously that he has an upside - why would you want him at Port?

Wayne's-World said:
Also it's an area of the game he does need to work on and if Quinton Lynch can be turned from a draft horse to a snappy mover then I think we'll see good improvement from Fergus in this area.

Saw the Crows preview on Foxtel Friday - interesting comments from NC on Fergus- not good

Indicated he came from Melbourne over the season break in average condition with some niggling injuries.

He also said that it has only been since January that his training has been up to AFL standard :(

Not good signs of a work effort required to be a top quality AFL player and reinforces my view on why he hasn't built up his body more than he has - poor effort!
:(

Wayne's-World said:
Iam disappointed that everyone has written off Massie, yet your view is obviously that he has an upside - why would you want him at Port?
I haven't written him off. In fact I have stood up for him when others have had a crack at him.

I think he is a good player but just not a tagger ;)

come one, the truth is that massie will be on of the first to go at seasons end, craigy obviously doesnt appreciate his footballing ability. If you going to be a HBF these days you either have to be able to rotate through the middle or have something special, unfortunately massie doesnt have either of these qualities.

Wayne's-World said:

Yep, I've seen him out on the ******** a number of times and its concerned me.

Wayne's-World said:

He's a smooth moving player, he is playing with more intelligence as he matures, not just a panic kick out of a pack these days, but a quick look, and an attempt to find a team-mate.

I see why some wouldn't like him, coz sometimes he doesn't look desperate, but I believe that's coz he has time to create.

Don't get me wrong, he'll never be a superstar, but I do believe he is, and will continue to be, a contributor.

BTW, I do prefer him more as a creative player than as a defender.

Asgardian said:
He's a smooth moving player, he is playing with more intelligence as he matures, not just a panic kick out of a pack these days, but a quick look, and an attempt to find a team-mate.

I see why some wouldn't like him, coz sometimes he doesn't look desperate, but I believe that's coz he has time to create.

Don't get me wrong, he'll never be a superstar, but I do believe he is, and will continue to be, a contributor.

BTW, I do prefer him more as a creative player than as a defender.
Iam with you on this one - Massie had a poor season last year and consequently has largely been written off.

His creativity is a factor in me putting him up as a tagging option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back