Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting on Thornton next Monday.Gembrook have officially applied to go to the Ellinbank League in 2015

Poor by Gembrook if true. They were happy here when success was flowing and they could smell a flag.

Can't see how the YV can remain a viable two division league moving forward medium term.
Thornton / Alex will not ever be competitive D1 sides based on travel issues, Yea / Kinglake similar. Yarra Junction and Powelltown cannot function long term as rivals... While Warby is relatively strong.
Cant see why the league did not explore further the "mountain" and "Valley" Divisions when northern Clubs approached about entering?
My humble opinion, IF they don't get on the front foot with this it will degenerate and they will be well and truly on the back foot.

Valley Division:
Upwey, Belgrave, Woori, Wandin, Mt Ev, Warby, Olinda, Monbulk, Emerald, Seville, YJ/Powelly, Yarra Glen, Healesville. (Coldstream???)
Mountain Division:
Alex, Yea, Kinglake, Thornton, plus the 3-4 other clubs that approached YV to enter.

I understand there will be haters to this idea, and that some of the current D2 sides would battle against strong D1 sides, but are they happier travelling around the countryside to finish 3rd-6th in D2.
At least the 'Mountain' sides would be competing to win a flag, that seems a fair way off at the moment.

I'd imagine that Gembrooks decent back into div 2 has raised serious travel issues for them. Here's my rough calculation on their travel times, not including a possible trip to Thorton.
Yarra Junction (30mins), Seville (35 mins) and Powelltown (45mins), the closest three, and then Yarra Glen (1hr), Yea (1.5hrs), King lake (1.5hrs) and Alexandra (1.75hrs). That's a hell of a lot of driving. Should they come into Ellinbank west division they'd play Bunyip (35min), Garfield (32mins), Nar Nar Goon (26mins), Cora Lynn (34min), Catani (43 mins), Koo Wee Rup (39mins), and Lang Lang (48 mins).

Big difference. All the teams in The west division are actually in the same shire as Gembrook so it kind of makes sense. I played a few years at Junction back in the late 1990's early 2000's and it was quite different then. Yarra glen was about the biggest trip, teams I played against were Gembrook, emerald, belgrave, South belgrave, silvan, Powelltown, Seville. Back then Gembrook would have been averaging about 35min travel. I think the edition of yea, Kinglake, Alex etc, and the loss of silvan, South etc have made it tough on a team from the southern boundary of the league. I guess emerald potentially could be in the same situation should they end up in div 2 in the future.

You're making the assumption though that they all live in Gembrook township. Travel times should be calculated from where people live.

Gembrooks application just signals that they're throwing in the towel for 2014. They have a better than average chance of winning the flag so when you're calculating all those travel times to the Ellinbank league you should be comparing them against Belgrave / Emerald / Upwey / Monbulk, etc. because you're talking about 2015 and not 2014. otherwise it just shows they don't think they have a chance this coming season.

Begs the question though - if they win the D2 flag in 2014 and leave, is there no relegation from D1 that year or do runners-up get promoted?

You're making the assumption though that they all live in Gembrook township. Travel times should be calculated from where people live.

Gembrooks application just signals that they're throwing in the towel for 2014. They have a better than average chance of winning the flag so when you're calculating all those travel times to the Ellinbank league you should be comparing them against Belgrave / Emerald / Upwey / Monbulk, etc. because you're talking about 2015 and not 2014. otherwise it just shows they don't think they have a chance this coming season.

Begs the question though - if they win the D2 flag in 2014 and leave, is there no relegation from D1 that year or do runners-up get promoted?

Where players live is a valid point but obviously I have no way of determining it. The vast majority of the club people, would be fairly close to Gembrook itself. It would also be a factor in recruiting players. Most players wil be within reasonable distance of Gembrook for training purposes, but if they know they are driving all that way every second week it's gotta have n effect.

Gembrook won't win more than 4 games in Div 2 so it won't matter.

Heard a strong rumour that Emerald will be playing at Gembrook this coming season on an alternate fixture after Beaconsfield cracked the sh!ts and Pakenham wanted a lump sum and to keep all the canteen money. My mate tells me that this will put Emerald and Gembrook on an alternate fixture to overcome any clashes.

Welcome back Thornton. Great to see common sense prevail!

I know a lot of outs at gembrook but a couple of handy ins with Stanhope and his housemate very good players will smash it in divvy two. Who's their main threats Seville have lost a couple and gained one fat old man from Coldstream. And maybe yarra glen who have been throwing big coin around everywhere. Not much comp this year in the lower divvy.
Very quiet in first divvy to with only whispers coming out of everywhere bar wandin where they are shouting as usual. Upwey really quiet any news on who they have picked up.

Mat Polkinhorn has turned is back on the huge offer made by Wandin and will stay at Mooroolbark. Well done Mat just show's money isn't everything.

Old habits die hard ginger!!!! Signed at wandin for 2k a game?? (Your words) 25k sign on (your words)?? Surely not your trotting out the same bullshit lies from last year???? Surely if he had signed it would be a done deal as you put it it (ashtray money)???? Stop reading the efl forum then trying to backpedal you stain!!!

Old habits die hard ginger!!!! Signed at wandin for 2k a game?? (Your words) 25k sign on (your words)?? Surely not your trotting out the same bullshit lies from last year???? Surely if he had signed it would be a done deal as you put it it (ashtray money)???? Stop reading the efl forum then trying to backpedal you stain!!!

Changed his mind as he didnt enjoy it. Got to admire a bloke that turns his back to money like that for his home club.

Changed his mind as he didnt enjoy it. Got to admire a bloke that turns his back to money like that for his home club.

Flinger, your hatred for Wandin knows no bounds. Similar to some of the rubbish you litter this forum with.
Do you realise that $25K sign on, plus $2K per game equates to over $60,000 for the season........
I would be shocked if that was the case from ANY local club for ANY player (excl. Fev at Yarrawonga?).
I'm sure Polkinghorne is a good player, but please...

In any case, yes loyalty is admirable, but becoming less common within footy circles of recent times - ALL clubs included Flinger.

Flinger, your hatred for Wandin knows no bounds. Similar to some of the rubbish you litter this forum with.
Do you realise that $25K sign on, plus $2K per game equates to over $60,000 for the season........
I would be shocked if that was the case from ANY local club for ANY player (excl. Fev at Yarrawonga?).
I'm sure Polkinghorne is a good player, but please...

In any case, yes loyalty is admirable, but becoming less common within footy circles of recent times - ALL clubs included Flinger.

Please learn to read before commenting again. No where have I mentioned he was going to receive 25k sign on plus 2 grand a game.

Dont see where the hatred bit comes in either but Meh...

Might be old news, but from what I hear the Finger was not far off the money. Polkinghorn received 25k sign on, and was going to get about 300 a game. Went down to the kennel, didn't like it. But I also hear that Mooroolbark kicked up a stink because he was half way through a two year contract with them and put pressure on him to stay. So he gave the money back and is not going anywhere for at least another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion I think the Yarra valley could well become a 5th and 6th division of EFL if not careful said this a few years ago! I think to keep the comp alive the best option would be to split into North and south. The north division having Thornton,Alexandra,Yea,Kinglake,Bonnie Doon,Goorambat,Tatong, Swanpool
The south having Healesville,Woori Yallock,Yarra Glen,Yarra Junction,Powelltown,Warby,Seville,Mt Evelyn,Upwey,Belgrave,Gembrook,Monbulk,Wandin,Emerald,Olinda and maybe Coldstream to then have first year a one division comp in the south then year after the top 8 teams form division 1 south and bottom 7 or 8 depending on Coldstream form division 2 south the league would generate a lot more money and crowds

Poor by Gembrook if true. They were happy here when success was flowing and they could smell a flag.

Can't see how the YV can remain a viable two division league moving forward medium term.
Thornton / Alex will not ever be competitive D1 sides based on travel issues, Yea / Kinglake similar. Yarra Junction and Powelltown cannot function long term as rivals... While Warby is relatively strong.
Cant see why the league did not explore further the "mountain" and "Valley" Divisions when northern Clubs approached about entering?
My humble opinion, IF they don't get on the front foot with this it will degenerate and they will be well and truly on the back foot.

Valley Division:
Upwey, Belgrave, Woori, Wandin, Mt Ev, Warby, Olinda, Monbulk, Emerald, Seville, YJ/Powelly, Yarra Glen, Healesville. (Coldstream???)
Mountain Division:
Alex, Yea, Kinglake, Thornton, plus the 3-4 other clubs that approached YV to enter.

I understand there will be haters to this idea, and that some of the current D2 sides would battle against strong D1 sides, but are they happier travelling around the countryside to finish 3rd-6th in D2.
At least the 'Mountain' sides would be competing to win a flag, that seems a fair way off at the moment.

In my opinion I think the Yarra valley could well become a 5th and 6th division of EFL if not careful said this a few years ago! I think to keep the comp alive the best option would be to split into North and south. The north division having Thornton,Alexandra,Yea,Kinglake,Bonnie Doon,Goorambat,Tatong, Swanpool
The south having Healesville,Woori Yallock,Yarra Glen,Yarra Junction,Powelltown,Warby,Seville,Mt Evelyn,Upwey,Belgrave,Gembrook,Monbulk,Wandin,Emerald,Olinda and maybe Coldstream to then have first year a one division comp in the south then year after the top 8 teams form division 1 south and bottom 7 or 8 depending on Coldstream form division 2 south the league would generate a lot more money and crowds

Great minds think alike Jpod17... Absolute must for YV footy to thrive.
The split after year one works in theory, but... Concern would be around the teams that probably should merge now - i.e. YJ & Powelly then the D2 south gets pretty thin...

Great minds think alike Jpod17... Absolute must for YV footy to thrive.
The split after year one works in theory, but... Concern would be around the teams that probably should merge now - i.e. YJ & Powelly then the D2 south gets pretty thin...
Refer to EFL (Vic Metro) Expansion New Division More realistic solutions?

Refer to EFL (Vic Metro) Expansion New Division More realistic solutions?

This post will always be on the agenda as all football leagues want to expand or to cover losses of member clubs. We see that the Ellinbank DFL which is now part of a growth corridor in the Sth East seeking to expand and introduce "divisional" football. Hence the interest in Gembrook and Tooradin.
It would be most prudent if the YVMDL and EFL looked at forms of amalgamation. Its is fair to say that EFL Div One is the best senior football with Div 2 not far behind with that said. If their was ever to be an amalgamation of both leagues The New look EFL could look like this.
Current EFL "New" Division Combination of EFL and YVMDFL
Division One = Premier League. No Change (Existing EFL)
Division TWO = Division One EFL with a Couple Top YVMDL Div One
Division Three = Made up of Top Div3 EFL and Top YVMDFL Div One Sides (Could be development Division)
Division Four = (Creative accounting) Geographical Metro East
(Creative Accounting) Geographical Mountain District
(Creative Accounting) Geographical Yarra Valley
This must only be viewed on as proposal and would still require a lot of fine tuning before it got to first base, but it still IMO as a discussion point.
wtfa, Jan 2, 2014

Just had a read of the above wtfa - not sure that making the EFL bigger is the solution for YV footy?
One of the strengths of the YV is that they are the first 'country' league?
I think the travel for the YV clubs that would 'merge' into the higher divisions would be pretty significant (i.e. Woori to Waverly?).

Hi Sratsky,

It sounds like your in the know at HP... What can you tell me about the upcoming year?

New coach and recruits ?

Shipp injured will he play?

Cox is a full forward I think? I've heard... How do you think he will go ?

Any others recruits and can we expect a few wins.. ?

Thanks

Valley Division:
Mountain Division:

This concept was in fact raised by the League late last year (2013) so I think you'll find it was explored. One stumbling block for the League is I think (assumption based on the Thornton re-entry delay) that the Clubs decide on these issues so you need 75% support before any change can be made.So unless there is some enthusiasm behind an idea like this, the League are not going to spend (waste) time working on it.

It is a really difficult issue and one that AFL Vic Country (old VCFL??) need to take a lead role in. The Silvan & South Belgrave departures to Metro Footy illustrate problems for a fringe metro country league.

Good to see someone having an opinion on this and raising it, but the lack of response indicates that few are following Big Footy anymore or don't care that much.

Think it's just a case that it's been done to death a few dozen times. Can't ever see a YV / EFL merger across the line because nobody wants to travel that far. All well and good to try and structure lower grades on a geographical basis but you couldn't have promotion / relegation otherwise after a few years some clubs will end up in divisions miles from anyone (e.g. Gembrook Division 2).

Personally I think the diminishing number of U/18 players coming through the ranks in valley clubs is more of an issue than how many clubs we have.

Any news on the tribunal review? After what can only be described as a debacle last season word is the whole process was being reviewed. The investigation process is also being looked at after last years shambles.

Interesting the way you split it, I always assumed that "Mountain" teams were the likes of Monbulk, Emerald, Belgrave, Olinda, Upway, Silvan (ie, in the dandenong ranges) and the "valley" teams were Wandin, Seville, Woori, Junction, Warby, Healsville, and Yarra Glen, (ie, in the yarra Valley)

Hi Sratsky,

It sounds like your in the know at HP... What can you tell me about the upcoming year?

New coach and recruits ?

Shipp injured will he play?

Cox is a full forward I think? I've heard... How do you think he will go ?

Any others recruits and can we expect a few wins.. ?

Thanks

hey feral,

there is a new coach and some new recruits at the web this year.
shipp wont play this year but if he recovers fully will play next year
cox did play full forward at emerald however not sure that will be his role at hp. he will be a valuable addition to the club.
there are a few other recruits coming thru but will keep those quiet for now. things are looking up at the web. there will no doubt be improvement however whether that is determined by wins or not remains to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back