Shaun Marsh or Adam Voges?

For 3rd Test Shaun Marsh or Adam Voges

• Shaun Marsh

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Adam Voges

Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only reason I can see Marsh replacing Voges is through injury. Which is a shame because he's started making runs.

Apart from Voges's single innings failure, he's done OK. So it's a bit of do you take out the century and look at the average, or take out the failure and look at the average. His test average is 56 with the NO, so who knows really. As I said before, he's going to need to be injured or * up pretty bad over the next 2 tests to get dropped.

Can do it after the series. I still have a massive question about carrying both Marsh boys.
Why is there a question about carrying both Marsh boys, we've been carrying Watson for years. Having Marsh there is much better as we saw at Lords

You do know that the attack Marsh slammed his hundred against consisted of

a) 32-year-old never will be who can just hold his place in the currently-placed 16th (out of 18) county team.
b) 29-year old who couldn't get a game in the first XI last season (or this season - up until this game).
c) 20-year old making his debut.
d) 19-year old making his debut.

So well done Marsh for making his 16th first class 100. Shame Voges didn't add to his 26 hundreds. Marsh averages 38 - compared to Voges 45. Marsh has 2 test hundreds in 14 tests.

Shaun Marsh has had the most charmed run of any player re selection over the past 3 or so years.

So what did Voges make again?

Why is there a question about carrying both Marsh boys, we've been carrying Watson for years. Having Marsh there is much better as we saw at Lords

More to do with both being suspect to doing a hamstring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do know that the attack Marsh slammed his hundred against consisted of

a) 32-year-old never will be who can just hold his place in the currently-placed 16th (out of 18) county team.
b) 29-year old who couldn't get a game in the first XI last season (or this season - up until this game).
c) 20-year old making his debut.
d) 19-year old making his debut.

So well done Marsh for making his 16th first class 100. Shame Voges didn't add to his 26 hundreds. Marsh averages 38 - compared to Voges 45. Marsh has 2 test hundreds in 14 tests.

Shaun Marsh has had the most charmed run of any player re selection over the past 3 or so years.

The issue has never been whether or not he can hit big runs against good bowling. He can do that and has proved it a few times, he has the talent. The issue in the past has been consistency but more recently he's suggested he might have rectified that. I still think he's got plenty of question mark but he deserves a good go in the middle order once Clarke or Voges are gone. Would prefer someone else opened though unless it's a one off like may happen for the Third test.

When you take out the 130 and put in the FC scores it reads

He's almost 36 struggling so you have ask is it better to go with the old bloke who might play about another 20 tests before retiring or the bloke who could play 50-60 tests? If a bowler was having that sort of run there is no way he'd be getting pick so why should we pick a batsman.
You cant just make stats disappear to suit your argument, he made 130...
You could make that argument for pretty much all of our batsmen during the last 2 series if you take out a century.

And yes it's the ashes stick with the guy who has a better record and more experience there, not drop him after 2 tests.
Fortunately our selectors aren't as stupid as some people on this forum.

You cant just make stats disappear to suit your argument, he made 130...
You could make that argument for pretty much all of our batsmen during the last 2 series if you take out a century.

And yes it's the ashes stick with the guy who has a better record and more experience there, not drop him after 2 tests.
Fortunately our selectors aren't as stupid as some people on this forum.
Sure ok, but he has been crap all tour in England, is 35+ and we have someone on tour scoring centuries sitting in the wings. I don't like carrying passengers in the hope that they might produce something, we did that for years with Watson and he kept failing. It's not like we have the side around him to carry him either like we did with Mark Waugh and Andrew Symonds either.

Marsh never deserved to be dropped; had a good series against India, good Shield form, and a solid, if slightly below par series against the Windies. The problem is they moved him up to open against the Windies, and when Rogers came back, it made it easier to replace Marsh and keep Voges given his big ton against the Windies. I have a feeling they may retain Voges if they keep winning, in the knowledge that Marsh will open when Rogers retires (not my favourite option, number five is clearly where he plays better cricket).

That said, Voges deserves at least one more Test, but if he fails, the question should be asked because his entire Ashes series will have been pretty poor.

The reluctance from dropping Voges would stem from the fact that his international career would virtually be done. Marsh will still be available for some time.

Back