Sheffield Shield Round 3: Victoria vs Western Australia @ MCG 14-17th November

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody happy for Bosisto - after seeing Bancroft (and Harris to an extent) flourish after difficult starts in domestic cricket I was very happy in giving him time because the qualities are known to be there in him.

Have a lot to thank Agar and Cartwright for as well with their batting on the third morning.

But right behind the eight ball since ball one of this match. Glad to not concede the points, but still disappointing. NCN is back playing grade cricket so hopefully it is only a matter of time before we have him out there. All the bowlers we played in this game are capable, but they need a bit of firepower around them to be as effective as we'd like so resting Behrendorff was a risk.

Only saw bits and pieces but Siddle bowled exactly as you'd expect him to and is surely a monty for selection in Adelaide. Good to see Pattinson pushing his name back up there again and whilst he's not a baggy green candidate, Boland is an extremely good shield bowler.

Siddle having a sook that WA didn't have a crack. Look at the team we had muppet, we did fantastically well to hang on and draw (Langer responded with basically the same thing).
You had 3 batsmen in contention for a test spot next week? And another made a ton. You bat all the way down to Agar at 8 who's averaging 50 this year.

I would have thought WA would have went for it a bit more on a very flat wicket. Not that I'd be too upset about it though, Victoria did alright out of the points.

Last edited:
You had 3 batsmen in contention for a test spot next week? And another made a ton. You bat all the way down to Agar at 8 who's averaging 50 this year.

I would have thought WA would have went for it a bit more on a very flat wicket. Not that I'd be too upset about it though, Victoria did alright out of the points.
Bosisto - 5 FC matches
Beaton - 11 FC matches
Cartwright - 5 FC matches
Moody - 4 FC matches
Tye - 6 FC matches

But sure, we were a strong, experienced side...

Not making an excuse for the draw, but Siddle making public statements without providing context makes him look like a flog.

Bosisto - 5 FC matches
Beaton - 11 FC matches
Cartwright - 5 FC matches
Moody - 4 FC matches
Tye - 6 FC matches

But sure, we were a strong, experienced side...

Not making an excuse for the draw, but Siddle making public statements without providing context makes him look like a flog.

Tye and Cartwright bat 9 and 10, you can't tell me they had anything to do with why WA chose not to chase the runs. WA still had Klinger, Marsh, Bancroft, Whiteman and Agar.

How WA play doesn't really bother me, all I was saying that I was surprised they didn't at least have a crack at the win considering how how flat the pitch was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tye and Cartwright bat 9 and 10, you can't tell me they had anything to do with why WA chose not to chase the runs. WA still had Klinger, Marsh, Bancroft, Whiteman and Agar.

A match spans 4 days and 4 innings right? The impact of bowlers has an influence on the impact of batsmen. If WA had some more time and/or less runs to chase, they may have gone harder. The bowlers have an influence in this regard. WA ended up 8 down, they were never going to chase down the total in the time given.

A match spans 4 days and 4 innings right? The impact of bowlers has an influence on the impact of batsmen. If WA had some more time and/or less runs to chase, they may have gone harder. The bowlers have an influence in this regard. WA ended up 8 down, they were never going to chase down the total in the time given.

Sounds like you are just making excuses for not winning now. No ones talking about the first 3 innings, WA had 110 overs to make 380 odd. On a very flat wicket, with 3 guys fighting for a spot for Australia and a guy batting 8 that averages 50 for the year and nearly made a hundred for his country, that sounds like a gettable target. Maybe I have more confidence in your batting lineup than you do.

Anyway, you guys played it safe and ended up with a couple of points, I hold no grudges, just thought at the time you might of had a go at it.

Sounds like you are just making excuses for not winning now. No ones talking about the first 3 innings, WA had 110 overs to make 380 odd. On a very flat wicket, with 3 guys fighting for a spot for Australia and a guy batting 8 that averages 50 for the year and nearly made a hundred for his country, that sounds like a gettable target. Maybe I have more confidence in your batting lineup than you do.

Anyway, you guys played it safe and ended up with a couple of points, I hold no grudges, just thought at the time you might of had a go at it.

I guess the fact that we were 8 down by the end means we played it smart. I would imagine of wickets did not fall regularly we would have chased harder. Siddle was sooking about the whole match in general and not specifically the first innings.

I guess the fact that we were 8 down by the end means we played it smart. I would imagine of wickets did not fall regularly we would have chased harder. Siddle was sooking about the whole match in general and not specifically the first innings.
Never attempted the chase at all - which was surprising as there was zero in the track

He has a point, even in the first innings the scoring was so slow they were playing for the draw from day 1.

The new points system is supposed to encourage attacking cricket, Victoria got about 2.75 bonus points, WA about .5...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back