Should Sydney and GWS be allowed academies in strong footballing communities?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing. Vic sides can't whinge fairness when the AFL let's them do that kind of rubbish.
Adelaide tried something similar in 2020 to get tier one free agency compensation for Brad Crouch but got denied.
Where's the consistency?

Fix that then let's talk northern academies.
So you believe if he picked an Adelaide based club the afl would have said no?? More tin foil hats out

We can have strong NSW and Qld sides without destroying the integrity of the competition. Or do you think by "strong" NSW and Qld sides it means they should not be allowed to miss finals for consecutive seasons?
Bingo! That is the AFL’s agenda with the academies. They are terrified of Sydney bottoming out and the impact it will have on the market in NSW.

The academies are only an unpalatable leg up if you look at them in isolation on draft night, which is what 99% of people who are complaining about them do. They just see oh player X was drafted by Sydney as an academy player, why do they have something tangible that we don't. If people actually looked at it objectively they'd recognise why it’s necessary for the comp. Especially if we are looking to introduce another 2 teams and further dilute the talent pool.
So it’s necessary for the comp, but your against the idea that if geelong hawthorn collingwood etc want to establish their own NSW or QLD academies with the same access to players on draft night that they shouldn’t be allowed??

If you go on about growth of the game which I think is a load of BS excuse as Eddie McGuire nicely put years ago… then you have to be on board with other clubs having their own academies to help speed up the growth significantly

Bingo! That is the AFL’s agenda with the academies. They are terrified of Sydney bottoming out and the impact it will have on the market in NSW.

IF the AFL were fair dinkum about footy outside of Melbourne, the GF would not be located permanently in Melbourne.

Success on field & crowds/members/sponsorship/ good time slots follow. As true in Melbourne as anywhere else. See the FIXture, aka a draw to some.

So it’s necessary for the comp, but your against the idea that if geelong hawthorn collingwood etc want to establish their own NSW or QLD academies with the same access to players on draft night that they shouldn’t be allowed??

If you go on about growth of the game which I think is a load of BS excuse as Eddie McGuire nicely put years ago… then you have to be on board with other clubs having their own academies to help speed up the growth significantly
If we want to take Academy players, players like Dawson, Hewett, Mitchell, Aliir have to make way. Which makes the team they go to stronger.

Which makes the whole comp stronger, which means less dead rubbers at the end of the season, which means more ad $ for the AFL.

It's all about the Benjamins.

Not at all. If Vic clubs wants to pour resources into NSW and Qld footy and build infrastructure up here go ahead.

IF the AFL were fair dinkum about footy outside of Melbourne, the GF would not be located permanently in Melbourne.

Success on field & crowds/members/sponsorship/ good time slots follow. As true in Melbourne as anywhere else. See the FIXture, aka a draw to some.
Who do you think gets a better advantage in the following scenario

WCE finals: qualifying (Perth Vs collingwood), Prelim ( Perth Vs Richmond), GF (vs essendon).

Geelong home finals: qualifying (MCG vs collingwood), prelim (MCG vs Richmond), GF (MCG vs eswendon).

Geelong 0 home ground advantages, WCE 2/3.

You get it much better than geelong mate, so does any interstate club.

Move the grand final, I’d much prefer that… but you certainly are not more disadvantaged than some Vic clubs

Not at all. If Vic clubs wants to pour resources into NSW and Qld footy and build infrastructure up here go ahead.
Agreed. If Vic clubs are allowed and had a green light and said no, I would say fair enough good job Sydney/Brisbane etc. the part that bugs me is the access for all to the same schemes of being there. If it is there then I wouldn’t have an issue and people like McGuire can shut up if they don’t want to put in the resources.

If we want to take Academy players, players like Dawson, Hewett, Mitchell, Aliir have to make way. Which makes the team they go to stronger.

Which makes the whole comp stronger, which means less dead rubbers at the end of the season, which means more ad $ for the AFL.

So Sydney gets a much stronger squad that pushes out better fringe players?? I agree.

Agreed. If Vic clubs are allowed and had a green light and said no, I would say fair enough good job Sydney/Brisbane etc. the part that bugs me is the access for all to the same schemes of being there. If it is there then I wouldn’t have an issue and people like McGuire can shut up if they don’t want to put in the resources.

No vic club wants to put in the necessary resources because the ROI is horrendous.

Here come the tinfoil hats again… name for me one thing that is accessible to a Vic club that isn’t accessible to Sydney?? Sydney have things that are only exclusive to them, none the other way around.

Sydney plays away from home 10 times a year, aka catching a plan/paying for a bed.

Yes we all know about the freeway/train down the highway.

Who do you think gets a better advantage in the following scenario

WCE finals: qualifying (Perth Vs collingwood), Prelim ( Perth Vs Richmond), GF (vs essendon).

Geelong home finals: qualifying (MCG vs collingwood), prelim (MCG vs Richmond), GF (MCG vs eswendon).

Geelong 0 home ground advantages, WCE 2/3.

You get it much better than geelong mate, so does any interstate club.

Move the grand final, I’d much prefer that… but you certainly are not more disadvantaged than some Vic clubs
I recognise the benefits heartland teams have over the development States.

Earning Finals is fair, gifts not so.

The scenario of games you outlined were all earned by the clubs concerned. You are deluded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans academy has ~800 kids a year.
They have produced a handful of very good players. Mills, Heeney, Blakey (he could have been a father son at North), Gulden.

Return on investment is low. After all last year’s draft wasn't a strong year for the academy.

What the academy does is increase the standard of local football in Sydney. If you want to strengthen the game it’s across the board not just at the elite level. Sometimes I think this all gets lost in the limelight of a handful of high draft picks over a decade.

Anyway much prefer to hear about how the real victims in all of this, the Victorian based teams.

OP by a Cats supporter, the most favoured club in the comp! This a club that won the last GF by a massive margin, then spent off season harvesting a huge haul of talent from other clubs at discount rates, or for free and a bonus pick 7 thrown in!

How about the AFL really properly investigate the lucrative property deals all Geelong recruits seem to get into.

If I were you I'd be more concerned with how the club I support has continually failed to hang onto young and old talent

The best 22 players that started in Sydney and have left likely due to list space/cap pressure/"go home" is remarkable.
3 All Australians in the aforementioned post + b22 in Hewett.
Then add Toby Nankervis, Darcy Cameron, Tim Membrey, Craig Bird, Zak Jones, Gary Rohan & Nick Newman.
11, half a team.
On the other hand Swans 'poached' 2 best 22 players in Franklin and Ladhams.

Compare this to say Geelong's ins and outs...
Biggest talent drain on the comp by far.

It obviously costs a lot to retain academy guns like Chad Warner and James Bell and obviously the rest of the competition is richer as a result.
Or alternatively we could scrap the academy and be another one of the teams bidding 700k for Jared Polec.

Last edited:
If it is agenda based then that is fine. I guess don’t then bang on about equality and equity if you then hand our special academy regions to afl clubs that are chock full of first and second round draft picks in an attempt to keep them strong. This is quite a compromised system that has even seen alot of sides opt to trade out picks more frequently due to how compromised the draft order is.

Pick 17 commonly turns into pick 22-24 now due to how severely compromised the draft is.

'.. alot of sides opt to trade out picks more frequently due to how compromised the draft order is.'
You understand that was the AFL strategy when both the Suns & GWS were established.

When new sides are put together the top 1000 players are already locked up & people talk about priority picks for the 1001st player. Seriously?

Last edited:
7 of the current top 8 are Victorian clubs with the only non Vic club being Sydney, whilst that academy clearly doesn't bring balance across the board, thank God Sydney have it.
Port just recruited a number 1 draft pick from a Vic club after one season. But sure it's the Vicco's fault Port is garbage :rolleyes:

If I were you I'd be more concerned with how the club I support has continually failed to hang onto young and old talent

The Academies in the developing States are about the game, not just a funnel for the elite as they are in the heartland States.

You reflect the views of fans only interested in what it does for your club.

Nothing wrong with players from NSW wanting to play for the clubs in their state.

The problem is the draft and the ludicrous draft points system where clubs have to trade for multiple picks just to have enough points to recruit a player.

Port just recruited a number 1 draft pick from a Vic club after one season. But sure it's the Vicco's fault Port is garbage :rolleyes:
Because North was a basket case but lets not mention that hey.
I.m sure if his blue stripes we're blue hoops there would be no need for a hate thread..

The Academies in the developing States are about the game, not just a funnel for the elite as they are in the heartland States.

You reflect the views of fans only interested in what it does for your club.
I'm happy for both NSW and Qld to have acadamies to develop the game in those respective states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back