Should Sydney and GWS be allowed academies in strong footballing communities?

Remove this Banner Ad

They're larger pools that are producing more AFL players than the NGA academies
Simply give it back to the AFL to run or let all 17 other clubs into the Sydney market to run academies. If the goal is “growth” then why restrict resources and only have it benefiting a single club at the expensive of growth?? I am sure plenty of clubs will want to join in if they are given the option.

That way we can get huge numbers and investment occurring. Not just a small selection handpicked by the Sydney swans to serve as first rounders

Simply give it back to the AFL to run or let all 17 other clubs into the Sydney market to run academies. If the goal is “growth” then why restrict resources and only have it benefiting a single club at the expensive of growth?? I am sure plenty of clubs will want to join in if they are given the option.

That way we can get huge numbers and investment occurring. Not just a small selection handpicked by the Sydney swans to serve as first rounders

You make it seem like Sydney get these players for free.

Sydney paid picks 33, 36, 37 and 41 to get Mills when Melbourne bid on him with pick 3.

Now that sounds like a bargain, who wouldn't pay those picks for pick 3 but that does not tell the full story.

Sydney traded pick 14 and Craig Bird to Essendon for picks 23 and 44.

We then traded pick 23 to West Coast for picks 36 and 37.

So in reality Mills cost us pick 14, pick 33 and Craig Bird, so our first and second rounders plus a best 22 player, so while that is probably still unders it isn't unders by much.

We really wouldn’t.. and didn’t .. we had a pretty decent run of interstate sides winning flags during the 2000’s, Brisbane-3 flags, port- 1 flag, Sydney 1, WCE 1… six interstate flags all in succession without a fuss.

GWS are trying to settle in a bit still to the AFL, but Sydney and Brisbane will continue to gain massive advantages over the rest that ensures they stay competitive.
No?

As I said earlier, give up the Vic advantages and you would get sympathy from me. Otherwise I will continue to be amused.

Last edited:

The clubs do it better. AFL should also be doing lower tier promotion clinics - probably already are.

Should just line up the draft entitlements from their academies with the NGA academies, which they did briefly. Not sure how they justified the change back to the Northern academies getting preferential treatment.

Should be no zones of any kind.

Every player should be available to every club.

Either get rid of father son or make father son of any club available to bid on by any clubs that have not been in the league long enough to have father sons coming through yet.

They're larger pools that are producing more AFL players than the NGA academies
Dude 90% of last 10 flags won by Vic clubs and 10% by WA clubs.
It's still massively disproportionate.

And they aren't larger pools because nobody in NSW gives two shits about the AFL. Many haven't even heard of it.
So there is no "pool".

The clubs do it better. AFL should also be doing lower tier promotion clinics - probably already are.

Should just line up the draft entitlements from their academies with the NGA academies, which they did briefly. Not sure how they justified the change back to the Northern academies getting preferential treatment.
Because the system is already massively tilted in favour of Vic clubs.

Hence the 90% recent flag rate for Vic clubs.

The AFL needs some level of Qld and NSW draftees if it wants to maintain any credibility as a "national code".

The numbers are still way too low.

If anything they need to beef this up.

Dude 90% of last 10 flags won by Vic clubs and 10% by WA clubs.
It's still massively disproportionate.

And they aren't larger pools because nobody in NSW gives two shits about the AFL. Many haven't even heard of it.
So there is no "pool".

Syndey have won 2 flags in 20 years and only missed finals 3 times. Fantastic going from an excellent club that has performed way above the norm - yet you're crying hard done by? Mammamia.

You've just got to look at how many players are on lists via the Sydney academy and compare it to how many are on lists through individual NGA academies to understand that it is a bigger pool. I've got no issue with Sydney having access to the pool - I just don't understand why it is preferential access in terms of the draft to what is gotten in the NGA academies.

Because the system is already massively tilted in favour of Vic clubs.

Hence the 90% recent flag rate for Vic clubs.

The AFL needs some level of Qld and NSW draftees if it wants to maintain any credibility as a "national code".

The numbers are still way too low.

If anything they need to beef this up.
That is all well and fine, so I assume you are all for more hands on involvement from all other clubs then??

Geelong can also have a NSW academy program similar, same with collingwood Richmond etc. that way we can significantly beef up the production numbers. That would be a huge win and most logical

No?

As I said earlier, give up the Vic advantages and you would get sympathy from me. Otherwise I will continue us to be amused.
What is wrong with this article? It simply says we are looking to see if there are any structural issues with operations in Victoria, that is the AFL doing its job.

Again you’re very dilusional, name for me one thing that Sydney is unable to access?? You have been around more than long enough for F/S to come into it if you have any, so please list for me these things Sydney does not have access to?? This will be a laugh I can already tell.

Sydney paid picks 33, 36, 37 and 41 to get Mills when Melbourne bid on him with pick 3.

Now that sounds like a bargain, who wouldn't pay those picks for pick 3 but that does not tell the full story.

So in reality Mills cost us pick 14, pick 33 and Craig Bird, so our first and second rounders plus a best 22 player, so while that is probably still unders it isn't unders by much.
Craig bird ended up being a huge lemon, anyone would do that in a heartbeat what you gave.

I am simply asking the question, if it is about growth of the game.. should we have all Vic clubs establish NSW academies so instead of 50 kids a year, we have 400-600 each age bracket in academies???

The only way we can achieve what you and others are banging on about in terms of growing the game is if we involve more resources for the job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is wrong with this article? It simply says we are looking to see if there are any structural issues with operations in Victoria, that is the AFL doing its job.

Again you’re very dilusional, name for me one thing that Sydney is unable to access?? You have been around more than long enough for F/S to come into it if you have any, so please list for me these things Sydney does not have access to?? This will be a laugh I can already tell.

You said there was never an investigation for Vic teams not winning. “We really wouldn’t & didn’t” was your wording. There was.
Note there isn’t one about the Vics winning streak.
Home grand final. 1 thing.
Lack of travel. There is two.
Been plenty of lists on this thread alone. So go look em up.

You said there was never an investigation for Vic teams not winning. “We really wouldn’t & didn’t” was your wording. There was.
Note there isn’t one about the Vics winning streak.
Home grand final. 1 thing.
Lack of travel. There is two.
Been plenty of lists on this thread alone. So go look em up.
I think the AFL has gone on and on and on about expansion development and growth across Australia and any advantages for interstate clubs to the point of exhaustion. It’s an ongoing process of discussion, why would you ever have a review into it??

I don’t classify that a “review” into sulking about why Vic clubs are not winning, it was merely making sure the foundations and structures across Victoria were not broken given so many Vic clubs were performing poorly. Simply good practice.

I think the AFL has gone on and on and on about expansion development and growth across Australia and any advantages for interstate clubs to the point of exhaustion. It’s an ongoing process of discussion, why would you ever have a review into it??

I don’t classify that a “review” into sulking about why Vic clubs are not winning, it was merely making sure the foundations and structures across Victoria were not broken given so many Vic clubs were performing poorly. Simply good practice.
Wow.
🤣 It was literally a review into why they weren’t winning.

he didnt say sydeny gets them for free, so sydney paid a price for mills, why cant that option also afforded to other teams is what he meant. why cant another team also get to decide if they want to pay a price for a player like mills.

If you look at Geelong’s list they have more players drafted via the Geelong Falcons than the Swans do via the Swans academy.

Probably time the Geelong nursery was opened up.

That is the problem though. Other clubs draft from the Geelong Falcon's but after a few years they end up running back to Geelong for unders.

so can geelong and our sponsors go and setup and academy in a strong regional footballing area and get it ticked off by the AFL?? We can also help grow the game in NSW, we will pick a border town and focus on development. Everyone should have access to the same benefits. No club should have their own set of rules and interests that are above everyone else in an attempt to ensure they never drop down the ladder.

and yes, if it is a priority the AFL will do it better, as they have greater resources at their disposal to do the job.
The Swans serviced NSW, had no support from the AFL, nor did it have any priority.

In WA both AFL clubs contribute $millions each year to local footy & time & effort supporting the WAFL clubs in the WAFL zone Statewide. Neither AFL clubs got special treatment in the players produced.

Developing footy in non heartland States is a significantly bigger task than the likes of WA or Vic.

The whinging of the Vic clubs who put nothing into junior development has resulted in all clubs getting a zone.

If we didn't have to open up list spots for academy kids, we'd probably have been able to keep A brownlow Medallist, or Adelaide's captain, or port Adelaide's best defender, or the saints only forward (until King kind of (occasionally) turned up)

Maybe we'd have been able to get Dunkley in the door

People not seeing that more nsw and qld people playing in the league strengthens the whole league.

Provide an alternative (other than the proven failure of LeT ThE AFL Do iT) or shut it.

Because the NGA academy settings were actually akin to creating a genuine rort. Where clubs would be able to have exclusive access to particular players not because the NGA academy actually did anything to aid their development, but because steps were taken to get already developing players with promise (i.e. those with genuine other pathways into the game) into the academy system so they could claim them as their own. Effectively the same rort of the zones setup for a long time.

I'm not against the NGA academy idea concept at all. But if there is a want for the same settings, then it should have to operate in exactly the same way the Northern Academies do. I.e. its not just a nice way to hoover up talent from other pathways. That of course doesn't apply for all NGA academy areas - but it certainly has happened in some of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back