Should Sydney and GWS be allowed academies in strong footballing communities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is an example for you. Callum Mills was taken at pick 3 in his draft year. But for the academy there is a high chance that players like Mills would be playing a completely different sport like NRL or cricket. Without the academy there is zero chance he is being taken at pick 3.

Adding Callum Mills into the draft meant that Melbourne (pick 4) got Clayton Oliver. Pick 5 was Darcy Parish. So I am sure Melbourne fans are happy they have Clayton Oliver over Darcy Parish. Without the academy system that doesn't happen.

If the academy is producing first round talent then that is a huge win for the competition.

You're not going to agree with any of the above because you're not receptive to any ideas other than abolish the academies, so don't bother responding to this.
i am only receptive to abolish the academies? odd thing to say given i replied to your recent post saying i am receptive to allow each club their own piece of the academies, the AFL run it, or abolish it... i am simply not ok with special treatment.

it is not a win for the competition or the growth of the game, it is simply a win for the sydney swans playing list. nobody else benefits.

in your wonderful example, would you like to remind us what position on the ladder sydney finished that year? to give the full picture how equitable for the game it was?

i am only receptive to abolish the academies? odd thing to say given i replied to your recent post saying i am receptive to allow each club their own piece of the academies, the AFL run it, or abolish it... i am simply not ok with special treatment.

it is not a win for the competition or the growth of the game, it is simply a win for the sydney swans playing list. nobody else benefits.

in your wonderful example, would you like to remind us what position on the ladder sydney finished that year? to give the full picture how equitable for the game it was?

I think we have reached an impasse and no further progress can be made by continued back and forth posting on the same points. When you're willing to broaden your horizon beyond 'academies are unfair cuz Sydney good at football', let us know.

Sofar from this "training the 50 most elite athletes from each age bracket" there have been 12 make it to AFL level from over 3000 participants since 2010

So what happens to the other 2988? do some of them perhaps go back improve the quality of competitions at a lower level from club through to NEAFL????
Surely not...that would be development and growth of the game they must all just disappear off the face of the earth.

Hang on what if GWS also had an Academy also developing 50 players a year... and the Lions and Suns too, is that almost 200 additional players annually who even if they dont make AFL will improve the quality of lower level competitions improving the quality of the game in NSW/QLD??

Nah sounds too much development in progress to me... you'd definitely know from Melbourne what the development of the game in the Northern states is like, so you must be right.
you currently have 380 boys in total from ages 11-19 in the program and 320 girls from 11-19. this is aproximately an average of 50 men per age bracket which is very insignificant and just cherry picking the elites. I imagine a percentage of this is also womens and not mens for clarity with the total numbers.

out of these supposed "3000" players over 13 years running, what percentage were already playing AFL at local league and got put into the academy?? what percentage is "actually growing the game?" as you put it, by attracting non AFL participating kids into the programs.

I don't think that is a stat you actually would want to dig into.

I think we have reached an impasse and no further progress can be made by continued back and forth posting on the same points. When you're willing to broaden your horizon beyond 'academies are unfair cuz Sydney good at football', let us know.
I am very happy with the generation of discussion and debate around the topic i am contributing to. It is a very worthy topic that is a blight on the AFL's equity principles that needs to be dealt with.

Keep the academies, just make the draft entitlement the same as it is for the NGA academies. Still get the developing players and Northern State clubs still get a leg up due to the much larger pools in their academies, but just not so blatantly dodgy a leg up.
ontop of this, should the academies across the board including the sydney ones only include kids who are non AFL participants at the time of recruitment??

what sort of growth or development is occuring if they are playing AFL already??

ontop of this, should the academies across the board including the sydney ones only include kids who are non AFL participants at the time of recruitment??

what sort of growth or development is occuring if they are playing AFL already??
Doesn't matter if they were already playing footy. The academy increases their chances of making it. The more kids make it the more the game grows.

so just impose the same rules that only players picked after 40 are academy eligible?
Seeing the recent clubs don't get father sons yet, it seems reasonable that they get a better concession, but Sydney and Brisbane? I don't get why they get a better concession from their academy than the other clubs get from their lesser academies.

Where did we play our GF?

It's a bullshit argument, Sydney having an academy is an absolute rort and everyone knows it
Due to a global pandemic otherwise it’s always at your home ground.
Only reason you are saying it’s a bullshit argument is it blows yours out of the water bout the poor down trodden Vic clubs.🙄

We finished 3rd bottom in 2020 and GWS 3rd bottom last year.

Our young guns Chad Warner and Logan McDonald are both from WA.

This Academy thing is over hyped.

Blokes like Heeney and Mills we had to pay top price for anyway even though they wouldn't have otherwise been in the pool but for the academy as they wouldn't have played the sport at all.

OP is not looking at the big picture..

To put it mildly....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep the academies, just make the draft entitlement the same as it is for the NGA academies. Still get the developing players and Northern State clubs still get a leg up due to the much larger pools in their academies, but just not so blatantly dodgy a leg up.
But they aren't larger pools.
It's still very much a marginal game in NSW and Qld
The low draft numbers prove that.
It's still only around 3% of all draftees.
There is no leg up. The numbers remain woefully low.
Let's get it it 10% .

But they aren't larger pools.
It's still very much a marginal game in NSW and Qld
The low draft numbers prove that.
It's still only around 3% of all draftees.
There is no leg up. The numbers remain woefully low.
Let's get it it 10% .
They're larger pools that are producing more AFL players than the NGA academies

If that was reversed they would demand an investigation.
We really wouldn’t.. and didn’t .. we had a pretty decent run of interstate sides winning flags during the 2000’s, Brisbane-3 flags, port- 1 flag, Sydney 1, WCE 1… six interstate flags all in succession without a fuss.

GWS are trying to settle in a bit still to the AFL, but Sydney and Brisbane will continue to gain massive advantages over the rest that ensures they stay competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back