News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Where'd you hear that? Would be great

What the 15M or the 9 home games. Cook can say what he likes but I can not see us getting more than 8 anytime soon. The AFL schedule and have contracts to meet...... unless they come up with something sneaky.

Maybe they can come to an agreement , Geelong willing to play 11 in Melb for 1 year , while the upgrade happens , then get 9 from then on. 9 at KP and two at the G would be ideal but just like scheduling ideal rarely happens . Look at this year., lights in and 1 games scheduled

Cook says he wants to increase home games in Geelong from 7 to 9. Stage 4 just needs an extra $15 million to get started and will take the capacity to 36,000.
That is complete bs.
Both the cook comment and the money

That is complete bs.
Given what I know, could very well be.

I told you earlier in the year that Frank was the one pushing for more KP games (all of them in fact) and it was Cook who rebuffed him in order to not neglect Melbourne based members...

I love the cats and going to the footy at KP but this is a massive waste of $70m. I would rather it went to GPAC or something that created significant ongoing jobs in the region.

Where'd you hear that? Would be great
What the 15M or the 9 home games. Cook can say what he likes but I can not see us getting more than 8 anytime soon. The AFL schedule and have contracts to meet...... unless they come up with something sneaky.

Maybe they can come to an agreement , Geelong willing to play 11 in Melb for 1 year , while the upgrade happens , then get 9 from then on. 9 at KP and two at the G would be ideal but just like scheduling ideal rarely happens . Look at this year., lights in and 1 games scheduled
That is complete bs.
Don't shoot the messenger. Article link.
The election win means the Cats’ stage 4 redevelopment has an extra $70 million to the $5 million already given under the previous government.

The development needs only $90 million in total, and will redevelop the Brownlow and Jennings stands and finish off the club’s training centre plans.

It will also increase the current capacity to 36,000, with Cook hopeful the Cats could one day host nine home games, up from seven in 2014.

“Stage four takes in our footy area, the Brownlow Stand, our coaching area, our social area, the media box so it’s a significant build for us and has a huge impact,’’ Cook said.

“Our first priority is not so much (hosting) finals but getting more home-and-away games here full stop and also to get other sports here, international sports.”

It says the Cats now have $75m and need an extra $15m for stage 4 (Brownlow & Jennings) to kick off. Cook isn't quoted as saying he wants 9 games in Geelong but he does make it clear he wants more home-and-away games but it isn't really bothered about securing finals in Geelong. The journalist probably asked him what is the ideal amount of games you would like in Geelong and he would have given a word one answer of 9. You can't really use that in an article so the journalist wrote it the way he did. That's my guess.

That is complete bs.
Looks like Cookie saying it to me:
"The election win means the Cats’ stage 4 redevelopment has an extra $70 million to the $5 million already given under the previous government.

The development needs only $90 million in total, and will redevelop the Brownlow and Jennings stands and finish off the club’s training centre plans.

It will also increase the current capacity to 36,000, with Cook hopeful the Cats could one day host nine home games, up from seven in 2014.

“Stage four takes in our footy area, the Brownlow Stand, our coaching area, our social area, the media box so it’s a significant build for us and has a huge impact,’’ Cook said.

“Our first priority is not so much (hosting) finals but getting more home-and-away games here full stop and also to get other sports here, international sports.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...asures-dont-work/story-fni5f6yf-1227141315694

They will go for a big chuck of the 180.
They won't go for another 15.

And they'll never have 9 home games unless we have a bunch of interstate powerhouses.

Matchu, I did think you were talking the whole development.
My apologies

Not sure that they will get the full monty for 4 and 5. With 4 being close to funded really, I could see that getting through. Not too sure what the intricacies of 4 and 5 are but im sure that they can be completed separately.

Getting that done would then be a much harder sell for the AFL to not give 8 home games at KP every year regardless of opponent. 36k capacity, boutique stadium and hosts less than 1/3rd of the games scheduled each season? WTF! And the Doggies need to get on board with this too. As much as Id like to keep it just for us, WB need some home games there too. Everyone wins in that deal.

It makes for a seamless transition once the draconian Etihad deal pisses off. If we can get 8 in place at KP WITH the etihad thing, then once its gone 9 at KP and 2-3 at MCG would be great. And to placate the Melbourne based supporters, it could rotate an extra MCG game so we did 8 KP and then 9 KP the next.

And the expansion makes it harder for the Fat Controller etc to whine about seating for their members that have to come down the highway.

Go Catters

Not sure that they will get the full monty for 4 and 5. With 4 being close to funded really, I could see that getting through. Not too sure what the intricacies of 4 and 5 are but im sure that they can be completed separately.

Getting that done would then be a much harder sell for the AFL to not give 8 home games at KP every year regardless of opponent. 36k capacity, boutique stadium and hosts less than 1/3rd of the games scheduled each season? WTF! And the Doggies need to get on board with this too. As much as Id like to keep it just for us, WB need some home games there too. Everyone wins in that deal.

It makes for a seamless transition once the draconian Etihad deal pisses off. If we can get 8 in place at KP WITH the etihad thing, then once its gone 9 at KP and 2-3 at MCG would be great. And to placate the Melbourne based supporters, it could rotate an extra MCG game so we did 8 KP and then 9 KP the next.

And the expansion makes it harder for the Fat Controller etc to whine about seating for their members that have to come down the highway.

Go Catters
Doggies are getting money to upgrade Ballarat for low drawing crowds though Daz. $28million if I recall

Looks like stage 4 is now a goer, what's the chances of the "go cats" section of the brownlow stand being re-built. Personally I think it may struggle to survive the re-build as there pushing for a more multi-purpose stadium and are trying to atract other team

S to use the stadium but wouldn't it be nice to see a bit of history retained by re-building and modernising the "go cats". Just a thought anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read a quote yesterday where the Premier-elect says he wants to get Simonds to 40,000 capacity stadium. He wants Simonds to be the best regional ground in the country. That would be awesome.
They really have to start using it for other things. You can't spend $100 million on a stadium and use it for more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year.

S to use the stadium but wouldn't it be nice to see a bit of history retained by re-building and modernising the "go cats". Just a thought anyway.

I wouldn't mind them keeping that stand the way it is and putting a bit more money into rebuilding the rest of the Ford terrace and building it up a bit more if possible. Our change rooms look brand new there anyway.

They really have to start using it for other things. You can't spend $100 million on a stadium and use it for more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year.
Aren't the Renegades in the BBL practically bankrupt? Be interesting to know if they think a BBL team in Geelong could be viable.

The did play a woman's soccer game there last year.
They also use it for the junior Championship footy games as well as the Geelong Football League Finals Series. Then there are the VFL games played at Kardinia Park. I am sure that there are a few other events held there and no doubt they need more, but the idea that it only gets used for 8 AFL rounds is no true.

The did play a woman's soccer game there last year.
They also use it for the junior Championship footy games as well as the Geelong Football League Finals Series. Then there are the VFL games played at Kardinia Park. I am sure that there are a few other events held there and no doubt they need more, but the idea that it only gets used for 8 AFL rounds is no true.
I didn't say that, did I?

I didn't say that, did I?

But you did say "You can't spend $100 million on a stadium and use it for more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year."

I agree that it has to be utilized more to warrant the spending on it, but it does seem misleading to me to state that it is used for "more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year."

That statement severely diminishes the amount of people that use K'Park annually.

But you did say "You can't spend $100 million on a stadium and use it for more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year."

I agree that it has to be utilized more to warrant the spending on it, but it does seem misleading to me to state that it is used for "more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year."

That statement severely diminishes the amount of people that use K'Park annually.
Not to mention the functions and what not used in the rooms around the ground.

Look at this year., lights in and 1 games scheduled
4 - the lights were put in largely so that we could do the late afternoon slot leading into the news, otherwise we would have only been able to do 1.10pm slots, which somewhat limits us.
Aren't the Renegades in the BBL practically bankrupt? Be interesting to know if they think a BBL team in Geelong could be viable.
The more important thing as far as the club/town is concerned is the spending by people in the stadium and in town,m as well as the ground advertising opportunities

Well I don't think the standalone VFL games or the W-League will be pulling in more than a few hundred people. Perhaps the GFL finals do. But I think my point remains.

Well I don't think the standalone VFL games or the W-League will be pulling in more than a few hundred people. Perhaps the GFL finals do. But I think my point remains.

Your point that K'Park does not get utilized enough is a valid point and I agree.
My problem was that your post appears to diminish how many people use the ground by stating "You can't spend $100 million on a stadium and use it for more than a few hundred people less than ten times a year" to make your point. The AFL games alone would draw near 200,000 people annually.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back