SNFL Div 3 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Quambatook or Ultima possibly have the longest trips to opposing teams (Hay) in all of Australia. Could be wrong though.
Well Quambatook are folding/have folded so that there won't be any further travelling issues. Such is the way of country footy now. Everyone moves away from farming communities & salary cap & points system has killed small country town teams

Well Quambatook are folding/have folded so that there won't be any further travelling issues. Such is the way of country footy now. Everyone moves away from farming communities & salary cap & points system has killed small country town teams

Their's was more to do with a lack of juniors coming through and a lack of volunteers.

So my pigeon landed late last night and the word is that Bazza three medals took the lot , got a flag , got double medal status on the big day and now he's the pick of the litter with the league BnF and all I can say is I told ya's so , doesn't take blind Freddy to see he is far SUPERIOR than his peers can't wait to see him up in DIV 2 next season and while I'm at it a great 'old' man from BlackRock A Phelps tied for the 2s I'm also lead to believe, lucky enough to play alot of footy with him , coached him also and it's well deserved great bloke great footy player , couldn't tell ya how old Benjamin button is but he's old and I love seeing an old boy show some young scraps how it's done.
Well done Bazza and Whispy! flying the flag. UP THE ROCKERS!!

On CPH2271 using BigFooty.com mobile app
36 for old man whispy. And thank you for sharing that name. Been trying my hardest for that name to take off

Apparently the league is worried about teams fielding 2 teams ie. Cerberus, Hampton, Doveton Eagles, South Yarra etc. Drop them into thirds.
I remember when the Thirds was a competition for clubs that had 3 senior teams. Ahhh those were the days.

It shouldn't become a wasteland for clubs that have made bad financial decisions or a refuge for those that can't/won't put effort into junior football

Apparently the league is worried about teams fielding 2 teams ie. Cerberus, Hampton, Doveton Eagles, South Yarra etc. Drop them into thirds.
You would think they still go with 10 in Div 1 & 2. Would that leave around 12 in Div 3?

I remember when the Thirds was a competition for clubs that had 3 senior teams. Ahhh those were the days.

It shouldn't become a wasteland for clubs that have made bad financial decisions or a refuge for those that can't/won't put effort into junior football
Yep. League set bad a precedent allowing Sandown into the Thirds comp feel a lot of other teams will see it as an easy way out to chase a flag and attempt to put band aids over their fractured club.
League needs to put their foot down with the lower division clubs, especially now we’re out of that COVID era..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on this?? Just a suggestion…
I think it makes sense to pull it back to 3 divisions and then have 2 divisions of Club 18.
Div 1 in the Thirds is stand alone clubs who can only field 1 side eg: Sandown, Hampton, Cerebrus, Doveton etc and Div 2 Thirds is for clubs who field 3 sides eg: Bentleigh, Dingley, Skye, Cheltenham, Springy etc.
Thirds can have 6 team divisions…..top 4 and play one another 3 times in a shortened 15 game season.
Harder to find players in the winter / colder months so may fixture a few weeks off in this period for sore bodies and recovery.
Remembering most players play Thirds for social aspect.

Div 2 reverts back to a 10 team grade and Div 3 has the rest (about 10-12 teams).

Alot of coaches in this division will not be there in 2023

Narre Sth - Gone
Clayton - Gone
CPL - Gone (Very surprising and will hurt them)

2 from Div 4 coming up
2 from Div 3 going up (BR and Murrumbeena)

Heatherton down from Div 2

2023 could be a very wide open season in this division

I think a team like E/Hills who made big strides in back half of 2022 with a stable coach and knowledge of the division could be big threat for 2023

Narre Sth - Gone
Clayton - Gone

2 from Div 4 coming up

I think a team like E/Hills who made big strides in back half of 2022 with a stable coach and knowledge of the division could be big threat for 2023
Narre and Clayton both have coaches now.

So how will Div 3 2023 look now?

Ashwood (can they finally win a flag?)
Clayton ( In Same boat as Narre South)
CPL
Frankston (top 4?)
Lyndhurst (top 4?)
Heatherton (play finals and move up to Div 2 or move down to Div 4 come season end?)
Endeavour Hills (surprise packet?)
Narre South (with new coach not sure how Saints will go)

Thoughts on this?

Narre Sth - Gone
Clayton - Gone

2 from Div 4 coming up

Great to see the beena boys bounce back not divvy2! Keep the momentum going!
Maybe some more recruits will come in and see them atop of divvy2

Kinglake accepted by Northern FL.
Did I see Blocked somewhere??
Kinglake told the OEFL mid-year of their intention to leave the competition but they were happy to cross over to the Northern league either at the end of 2022 or 2023. Last week, the OEFL backflipped and said they were never advised at all by the Lakers that they wanted to leave (bullshit) and would force them to stay.

The curve ball is that the OEFL has let its affiliation to AFL Victoria lapse and they are actually unaffiliated, which obviously means unaffiliated leagues (and clubs) do not have access to benefits that affiliated leagues do (insurance, etc.).

We saw in June this year that the Picola DFNL's affiliation lapsed and they refused to renew. AFLV told the league and its clubs that all external clearance requests with a Picola league club as the destination would be rejected immediately and that any clearance requests from a Picola league club to a club in another league would be granted immediately without recourse. This gives us an idea of how unaffiliated leagues will be treated by AFLV.

Kinglake has been approved by the Northern FNL clubs earlier this month. If the Outer East says 'no' after their recent pithy attitude in general and says they never receive the request that they did get (it was publicised at the time), then Kinglake can - and should - pull the "I want to play in an affiliated competition for the benefit of our club, members and supporters" card and they should end up being given approval to cross over prior to the 2023 season.

Kinglake told the OEFL mid-year of their intention to leave the competition but they were happy to cross over to the Northern league either at the end of 2022 or 2023. Last week, the OEFL backflipped and said they were never advised at all by the Lakers that they wanted to leave (bullshit) and would force them to stay.

The curve ball is that the OEFL has let its affiliation to AFL Victoria lapse and they are actually unaffiliated, which obviously means unaffiliated leagues (and clubs) do not have access to benefits that affiliated leagues do (insurance, etc.).

We saw in June this year that the Picola DFNL's affiliation lapsed and they refused to renew. AFLV told the league and its clubs that all external clearance requests with a Picola league club as the destination would be rejected immediately and that any clearance requests from a Picola league club to a club in another league would be granted immediately without recourse. This gives us an idea of how unaffiliated leagues will be treated by AFLV.

Kinglake has been approved by the Northern FNL clubs earlier this month. If the Outer East says 'no' after their recent pithy attitude in general and says they never receive the request that they did get (it was publicised at the time), then Kinglake can - and should - pull the "I want to play in an affiliated competition for the benefit of our club, members and supporters" card and they should end up being given approval to cross over prior to the 2023 season.
Local Leagues and clubs are forced to use AFL VIC approved insurance and other product providers at inflated prices while the AFL takes sponsorship money from these same providers. It’s just another way the AFL are syphoning cash from local football.

Then when a league tries to get out of this unfair arrangement which only benefits the AFL, AFL VIC forces them to comply by threatening to undermine them with clearances etc as you have outlined.

The structure of local football in Victoria is broken and needs to change. Huge Credit to the Picola league administration for at least trying to fight against AFL VIC and their unfair treatment.

Many leagues across the state are now run by career sports administrators who are more interested in their own career progression with the AFL than the best interests of the leagues they are representing.

Everyone would be far better off if AFL VIC returned to being an independent organisation focused on what’s best for Victorian local football, not what’s best for AFL head office.

Rant over
😂

I totally agree that leagues were better off and better run in the VCFL days.

My gripe is with the attitude of OEFL - clubs are unhappy with the way the competition is run and Kinglake decided earlier in the year that the NFNL has a much better competition structure and is a better managed competition than when they left for the then-YVMDFL.

For a club to say back in May-June that we have voted to leave the comp but we are happy to go at the end of 2022 or 2023, have that fact acknowledged and now go back on their word and refuse to clear them at all is a low act on the league's part.

The league is pulling out all stops to remain as a three-tier competition but the clubs don't want that - they want change and their voices aren't being heard. Having a league that stretches from Alexandra to Officer is unworkable but the league only cares about consolidating an empire.

There have been calls from many areas of the state since at least 2018 for AFL Victoria to conduct regional reviews but it continually falls on deaf ears. As long as the money rolls in, they couldn't give a toss. I am sure that no-one at AFL Victoria could produce a five-year plan for any country region, for the metropolitan area and probably even AFLV itself if you asked them to show you one right now.

Last edited:
Great to see the beena boys bounce back not divvy2! Keep the momentum going!
Maybe some more recruits will come in and see them atop of divvy2
So Beena will be in Div 3 next year? I am just clarifying that’s all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back