Southern FL Div One 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes great to have Local footy back and was a great game at Clayton today. They have some great young players but we were too good on the day and I'm sure they will win more than they lose
I have to say i was shocked at one of there best players
Clayton
Goal Kickers: T. Edwards 2, C. Morrison 2, R. Szerszyn , A. Purves , M. Collett
Best Players: T. Crameri, C. Morrison, D. Evangelista, B. Johnson, M. Collett, M. McHenry
East Brighton
Goal Kickers: D. Williamson 4, M. Jamieson 3, D. Francis 3, B. Hope 2, R. Emmett 2, T. Lappin , D. Reid
Best Players: L. Bowman, D. Williamson, D. Francis, M. O''Rourke, G. Marshall, S. Dillon

Tips for next week Sat 21/Apr
St Pauls vs East Brighton x11pts
Dingley x22pts vs St Kilda City
Cheltenham x 9G vs Mordialloc
Chelsea Heights x 18G vs Highett
Clayton x 13Gvs Heatherton

7.10-52 Clayton def. by East Brighton 16.11-107
10.10-70 Heatherton def. by Dingley 26.18-174
9.4-58 Highett def. by Cheltenham 22.17-149
5.6-36 Mordialloc def. by St Pauls 15.8-98
10.9-69 St Kilda City def. by Chelsea Heights 12.18-90

So Round 1 is over and some good games coming up this week
St Pauls vs East Brighton, this is going to be another top game with both sides having good wins first up
Dingley vs St Kilda City This will be a test to see where both sides are at

Yes great to have Local footy back and was a great game at Clayton today. They have some great young players but we were too good on the day and I'm sure they will win more than they lose
Clayton
Best Players: T. Crameri, C. Morrison, D. Evangelista, B. Johnson, M. Collett, M. McHenry
East Brighton
Goal Kickers: D. Williamson 4, M. Jamieson 3, D. Francis 3, B. Hope 2, R. Emmett 2, T. Lappin , D. Reid
Best Players: L. Bowman, D. Williamson, D. Francis, M. O''Rourke, G. Marshall, S. Dillon

Who were claytons better players then in your opinion greats?

Tips for next week Sat 21/Apr
St Pauls vs East Brighton x11pts
Dingley x22pts vs St Kilda City
Cheltenham x 9G vs Mordialloc
Chelsea Heights x 18G vs Highett
Clayton x 13Gvs Heatherton

SFL Whisper did you get to Heatherton on Saturday?

My Tips for this week in Red

St.Pauls v East Brighton 4 Pts in a Ball Buster
Dingley v St.Kilda City 2 Goals (1st Big Scalp of Season)
Cheltenham v Mordialloc 8+ Goals
Chelsea Heights v Highett 15+ Goals
Clayton v Heatherton 4 Goals

Although last weeks results were pretty well scripted before the games were played there were some points that possibly should be considered. CH win was about where you'd reckon it should have been, Dingley belting Heatherton by that amount says either they're much improved or the Tonners are in for a long year, probably a mix of both. Clayton have improved but still fell short of EB by a fair way. Expect improvement. Chelt punished Highett who also look short of the better teams. Prediction is Chelt will be around the mark but not on the pace. Highett are going to struggle. St.Pauls drubbing of Mordialloc was no surprise. They are the team to beat. This weeks game against EB should be a pearler. Both sides have recruited well but will enter the game short of full strength.
This weeks winners are

St.Pauls 20 points V East Brighton
Dingley lose to City by 15 points Too much hype with little substance at the Village
Cheltenham will flog Mordialloc by 48 points or more. Ando's boys will make mince meat of the bloods
Chelsea Heights by the length of the straight over Highett. Smithy can stay at home
Clayton will beat Heatherton comfortably. Expect about 8 goals

SFL Whisper did you get to Heatherton on Saturday?

My Tips for this week in Red

St.Pauls v East Brighton 4 Pts in a Ball Buster
Dingley v St.Kilda City 2 Goals (1st Big Scalp of Season)
Cheltenham v Mordialloc 8+ Goals
Chelsea Heights v Highett 15+ Goals
Clayton v Heatherton 4 Goals

Yeah Mahalo, I thought I was going to see the close one for the day. How wrong was I. Dingley were very impressive. Very fit and great leg speed. They have certainly improved. Of the newcomers, Sawers added heaps to the on-ball brigade of the Lavar's and Turcarelli. Fridman and Gotch added some strength up forward and Ball chimed in with some nice goals. This was an area where the Dingoes struggled a bit in the past. Heatherton looked a little unfit. Newcomers Clements, Benbow and Cordeaux showed glimpses of real class. Steiner and McCleary will add some defensive strength. Jewell went off early with what looked like a shoulder injury. The Tunners new CHF didn't play due to a knee injury and Amos was out as well. Anyone playing Dingley had better play their runners. They are not a tall side. As for the Tunners a very diappointing start.

Travis Johnston confirmed at THE HEIGHTS for this week.... Stay tuned. Puppet completed a wish of Walsh, Attard and Roberts (Crow too old) in the one side!:)

Massive signing. Great for the competition.

CH were already a decent side, top 3 imo, could well push them into serious contender status.

Johnstone, Attard and Murphy is the best midfield in the league.

I wouldn't want to be Highett this week.

The SFL have altered the promotion/relegation format to now make it 2 up / 2 down. IMO it's a great move that is 5 years overdue. Thoughts?

Must beg to differ freak. I'm surprised it got through as the clubs had knocked back a couple of times in the past. There is one director that wouldn't let it go. I'm against it on three fronts:

• Its crap being the runner up.One of the big things that brings players back is that they think they are close to a premiership. Not sure they have the same enthusiasm to go up and get flogged. This is particuarly the case if you get beaten badly.
  • The recent history of promoted clubs would suggest that the sides that they beat would not strengthen the division above. In particular, the promotion to div one is proving huge. Imagine if Sth Yarra had beaten the Tunners a couple of years back.
The basis for this idea came from the Ammos- to give clubs a better opportunity to progress through the grades. I'm not sure the overall depth and size of the SFL warrant this. A third division club is only two good seasons from first division. Thats quick enough.

Anyway, its done so lets make the best of it.

The SFL have altered the promotion/relegation format to now make it 2 up / 2 down. IMO it's a great move that is 5 years overdue. Thoughts?

Since when Superfreak? Nothing on the website, but you are the news breaker, I suppose :) (I mean, I heard that we were coming back to the SFL from you first, on this forum)

So is it for this year?? No good in my opinion for a 3 Division comp, as teams work so hard to stay in a division, only to be regelated by finshing 2nd last by say, % only. Take Clayton for instance: if it was in last year Clayton would be relegated back down to Div 2 without getting settled in Div 1. They worked hard to stay in Div 1 in 2011 & have gone out & recruited well to better themselves in that Division, guarantee you they won't finish 2nd last this year.

2 up/ 2 down works well in the VAFA as its a 7 division association & the system evens out the standard of teams within. No good in the SFL when there's a serious gulf between Div 1 & Div 2

Don't get me wrong, most teams would love to compete in SFL Div 1, but not by just making a Grand Final, you would think. Winning a GF in Div 2 & 3 should be held with more prestige with promotion, rather than just making the GF.

Just my humble opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clayton
East Brighton
Clayton have definitely improved. Any team that gets within 10 goals of us this year can nearly mark it down as a win.
As for mchenry interesting unit never seen a captain berate his players as much as he does but I suppose that sort of leadership is what you come to expect at the clays
With players to come back I expect us to start putting bigger margins on these teams as the year goes on

GO VAMPIRES

its a strange time to anounce it i would have thought it should come down to a vote by the clubs at the agm.
there is already a huge gap between divisions when you win the flag you need at least 10 new players to be competive in the higher division.
speaking with my sth yarra hat on we were very proud of our efforts in 08 09 we are the only side that was very competive in the higher divsion in recent history.(and before anyone has a go YES we are in a rebuilding phase at the moment).
i think it should stay one up one down but thats only my thoughts.

Seems I'm in the minority!

My opinion is based on a club like Ashwood. They finished in the bottom 2/3 in Div 1 for about 5 years running without being relegated. Finally they were relegated, but the soul/fight had seemingly been stripped out of the club and they are now in Division 3. Had they gone down a few years earlier, I have no doubt they would still be in Div 2, or maybe even back in Div 1.

East Malvern are another club that were around the bottom few for a few years in Div 1 and have now gone back to Div 2. If they had of remained in Div 1 for a few more years and stayed in the same region of the ladder, it may well have seen them fall over as a footy club. No one like to be uncompetitive three/four years running, everyone needs a light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree that the jump up for the two clubs being promoted is big, but at least they are doing it after a successful season. IMO, the two down part of the deal is the more beneficial as clubs are able to go back to a level where they will be more competitive and hopefully give them a chance to reload and make a better fist of their return to the higher division when the time comes.

The biggest *problem is a club might go up and down over 20 years and at the end off the day it *never wins a flag.

*I no from personal experience I would off hated coming second and going up then just be a kicking block for the higher clubs. If a club has no cultural success it has nothing no one cares about teams finishing second.*

*Our league is not strong enough or have enough teams to have this rule not enough clubs have juniors and the cash for this rule to work.*

We are one off the weakest leagues going around and we have to take baby steps before we try and match other very successful comps. *

Talking about promotion/relegation.

Did you know St Pauls are the only SFL team to have stayed in Division 1 since the league was established.

Found that on the underside of a Spring Valley 330ml Orange Juice cap.

My opinion is based on a club like Ashwood. They finished in the bottom 2/3 in Div 1 for about 5 years running without being relegated. Finally they were relegated, but the soul/fight had seemingly been stripped out of the club and they are now in Division 3. Had they gone down a few years earlier, I have no doubt they would still be in Div 2, or maybe even back in Div 1.

There is an instance of this example in the VAFA. In 2007 we survived relagated by .06% (or something like that) & poor Williamstown CYMS were relegated back to D3. They went back to the drawing board & recuited well & won D3 GF in 2008 & D2 in 2009 GF in successive years. Having been in VAFA D1 for the last 2 seasons I have no doubt they will be promoted to C Section for next year, looking at how they've recuited further. But this has only worked because of the VAFA structure of a 7 tier system and not much difference between the standard of divisions. It might work if the SFL had 4 divisions (which who knows the league might be working on) but why not just introduce it then?

Using my example & the it be like promoting Peninsula OB (who Willy CYMS beat) from D2 (approx SFL Div 2comparison) straight into C Section (approx SFL Div 1 comparison)

Another interesting story is Rupertswood: they got promoted from VAFA D3 to C Section in 5 years with only winning 1 Grand Final! But obviously they could handle the jump each time.

*Our league is not strong enough or have enough teams to have this rule not enough clubs have juniors and the cash for this rule to work.*

We are one off the weakest leagues going around and we have to take baby steps before we try and match other very successful comps. *

The SFL isn't the strongest comp in Melbourne, but it is getting stronger every year with the injection of new sides into the comp. Apparently they have landed a big fish for 2013, going by SFL radio on Sunday (if I heard correctly). The VAFA & other leagues are now starting to sit up & take notice of the SFL so maybe the league should continue to do what it has done over the last few years rather than try & model itself on other leagues

But I agree SFL Div 2 clubs do not have the cash to compete with the top 5 of Div 1, as I said maybe the league should wait until there are 4 divisions

East Malvern are another club that were around the bottom few for a few years in Div 1 and have now gone back to Div 2. If they had of remained in Div 1 for a few more years and stayed in the same region of the ladder, it may well have seen them fall over as a footy club. No one like to be uncompetitive three/four years running, everyone needs a light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree that the jump up for the two clubs being promoted is big, but at least they are doing it after a successful season. IMO, the two down part of the deal is the more beneficial as clubs are able to go back to a level where they will be more competitive and hopefully give them a chance to reload and make a better fist of their return to the higher division when the time comes.

I’m with you Super. Works very well in the VAFA but concede we are talking about 2 different competitions. A higher priority I reckon for the SFL is the Colts. A great initiative and well done to those clubs who support it but after 5 year it has not gained much traction and now, at least in so far as the standard is concerned, seems to have gone backwards. Now before every gets into me for being an outsider this is just my opinion. I am affiliated with a VAFA club but enjoy all local footy and have a particular interest the SFL as I have many friends and past teams mates involved at various levels.

It was pointed out by that only 9 of 29 SFL clubs and only 4 Div 1 clubs have Colts. Staggering that the club who have dominated the Colts comp in recent years is not even fielding a side this year and one seems to bat an eyelid. I know some clubs work incredibly hard and despite their very best efforts just cannot get a team up. Cheltenham for example was a pioneer in Colts but struggle to compete with neighbouring Beaumaris and their massive junior set up. It is extremely difficult for them. I know St Kilda City worked very hard to get a Colts going again this year but I’m told that prospective players were turned off by the ordinary standard and number of ‘blow outs’. And from the round just gone - how often do you think a team will front up with 14 players and expose themselves to another 40 goal thumping? I think Mordi pulled the pin on the back of these exact circumstances in 2011 and who knows when they will get a colts team up again. Until a viable graded competition is introduced then it will continue to struggle. Some hard decisions are required from HQ.

Extenuating circumstances for us not having a Colts this year...or last year. It has been a gap age group right through the CJFC from under 10s.
Hoping to field a Colts again next season but there are a few rival clubs that are trying to coax the CJFC Under 17's to go to their club and not to us. Interesting times!

Extenuating circumstances for us not having a Colts this year...or last year. It has been a gap age group right through the CJFC from under 10s.
Hoping to field a Colts again next season but there are a few rival clubs that are trying to coax the CJFC Under 17's to go to their club and not to us. Interesting times!

Certainly not having crack at Cheltenham Super, as I know they have worked extremely hard to get Colts up and running and were pretty much the club that got it rolling in the first place. Geography and the school demographic of your main feeders do you no favours. More the other ‘controllables’ - eg the SFL falling over themselves to get a junior club in for one year rather than facilitating those players into an SFL senior club longer term.

Never took it that you were. Was just giving a bit of background for those readers who might not be up with what is going on!

Its a slow process getting the SFL Colts up and running and reaching a quality level that we would all like it to be at. The more $ ruins local footy and clubs find it harder to make their money to pay players, the more they will see that Colts is the way to go.

What viable graded competition do you are you referring to Rooster? Yes the VAFA 19 comp is a success but in my opinion it is 1 year of underage footy too many. Those boys especially in the U/19 North & South should be striving to play senior or open age footy at that age. As I keep telling our colts players, where I come from in "the Sticks," they would have already been playing 1s footy from the age of 16-17, & maybe 2s footy earlier than this.

Remember the VAFA U18 competition only has 7 teams in it, but we all know that was a counter for the SFL starting up their colts comp. The jury is still out whether the VAFA venture has been successful or not

Clayton have definitely improved. Any team that gets within 10 goals of us this year can nearly mark it down as a win.
As for mchenry interesting unit never seen a captain berate his players as much as he does but I suppose that sort of leadership is what you come to expect at the clays
With players to come back I expect us to start putting bigger margins on these teams as the year goes on

GO VAMPIRES
Gee for someone that lost the impossible you sure do dribble a lot.
If the doggies are near full strength they will beat you again by about 6 goals.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back