Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be so sure of that. KT has a shitload invested in this. Kochie's great, but he's more the figurehead. This thing has KT's blood, sweat and tears all over it.
I would say it's the other way round. Don't under estimate how much Koch is all over this.

This is the boards make or break moment of their tenure. KT is the figurehead on this one.

A quick resolution to this deal would not be a deal in our favour.

Given the cards that the SNAFL held prior to 2014, when the original stadium agreement was drafted, the fact that this has dragged on shows how hard the PAFC and AFC clubs have fought/negotiated/leveraged.

I am concerned that KT gave a hint of a joint presser from the clubs prior to xmas but we've heard nothing, and no comment from Fagen referencing the same solidarity. It's too vague to form any type of viewpoint though.

Other than that, I think KT will get the deal done.

Read what KT says and then what Fagan says - it's almost verbatim. Progress before Christmas, complex issues. They are singing from the same hymn sheet. It's just that this is, as usual, Port leading the charge and Adelaide riding shotgun (instead of riding out coattails like usual).

I would say it's the other way round. Don't under estimate how much Koch is all over this.

This is the boards make or break moment of their tenure. KT is the figurehead on this one.

Macquarie, he say:
figurehead : 1. a person who is nominally the head of a society, community, etc., but has no real authority or responsibility. 2. (Nautical) an ornamental figure, as a statue or bust, placed over the cutwater of a ship.

Don't sound like KT - or any CEO - to me.

Yeah, but you'd want it resolved before the real stuff. The SANFL's program is straight forward and basic though.

10. Delay by any means necessary until just before footy season so clubs forced into hasty agreement. Promise to review at seasons end.
20. GOTO 10.

Written on the SANFL's Tandy TRS-80

Macquarie, he say:
figurehead : 1. a person who is nominally the head of a society, community, etc., but has no real authority or responsibility. 2. (Nautical) an ornamental figure, as a statue or bust, placed over the cutwater of a ship.

Board hires and fires the CEO. If you think the chair of the board is not running this one then EDdie Maguire and Jeff Kennett were also figure heads who had a CEO making all the decisions :)

It still irks me that the SANFL should get anything at all.I know it was in the agreement to move from west Lakes to the City but they no longer pull our puppet strings so they should get **** all.

The best bit is how we, a 145-year old foundation member of the league who lets face it, was its greatest moneyspinner for the vast majority of that time, supposedly deserve nothing.

But a slew of two-bit welfare clubs whose greatest claim to fame is serving as the Washington Generals to our Harlem Globetrotters are entitled to millions of other people's dollars in perpetuity.

Macquarie, he say:

I would say "figurehead" was meant in the sense of "representative" ... I am sure too that Kochie is all over this. But I agree KT is the best man to be at the coal face. He can be as tough as nails, but he is smartly walking the thin white line. You can read between the lines that he continues to "butter" the SANFL prigs., whereas Kochie would have knifed them by now!

I have full faith in KT getting the best deal done.

A quick resolution to this deal would not be a deal in our favour.

Given the cards that the SNAFL held prior to 2014, when the original stadium agreement was drafted, the fact that this has dragged on shows how hard the PAFC and AFC clubs have fought/negotiated/leveraged.

I am concerned that KT gave a hint of a joint presser from the clubs prior to xmas but we've heard nothing, and no comment from Fagen referencing the same solidarity. It's too vague to form any type of viewpoint though.

Other than that, I think KT will get the deal done.
Exactly...the only people who would be causing the delay in the first place wold be us asking for more. The length of the delay is the other side trying to negotiate our requests down, rather than us get them up.

Board hires and fires the CEO. If you think the chair of the board is not running this one then EDdie Maguire and Jeff Kennett were also figure heads who had a CEO making all the decisions :)

I reckon I have your parry covered, Joelg ... now here's my thrust -

This particular PAFC Board did not hire KT ... KT 'hired' the Board per se.
David Koch's first question when KT approached him was: "Are you going to be in it for the long haul? If so, I'm in."
He asked the same of Kevin Osborn.

Not all members of the Board, of course, are on it to do the same stuff - Kochy and Cos Cardone are the movers and shakers.
Ross Haslam does the sums, Jamie Restas does the contract clauses, Richard Ryan does the community stuff, George Fiacchi keeps everyone focused on winning premierships, Amanda Vanstone carries in the slab and bangs it on the table ... etc etc etc ... then KT gets his team around him and makes it all happen, even the impossible which is taking a little longer.

Mate, you are throwing up a run-of-the-mill scenario, not a realistic one tailored for PAFC's current circumstances and very successfully so.

Ours is no one-man football club, as you know. We have more 'K's than a warehouse full of of Kelloggs breakfast crap.

Meanwhile, who the hell are these Eddie and Jeff guys you mention...?

Oval deal in sight: Thomas
AS THE Adelaide Oval review closes in on day 200, Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas says a conclusion to negotiations is finally in sight.
Both the Power and Adelaide have been in talks with the SANFL and the AFL since last July about their deal at the new stadium, in light of poor financial returns despite attracting record crowds.
The Power's average home crowd of 44,364 in 2014 far outweighed the expected average of 32,000, while the Crows averaged the highest home crowd in the AFL (48,046).
Thomas and Crows CEO Andrew Fagan have subsequently sought an increased share of stadium revenue.
The Power boss said they were close to brokering a satisfactory long-term arrangement at Adelaide Oval.
More .....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-01-21/oval-deal-in-sight-thomas

Another fluff piece with no deadline. Ok I said in November that nothing will happen before February and this is consistent, but enough with the spin.

Another fluff piece with no deadline. Ok I said in November that nothing will happen before February and this is consistent, but enough with the spin.

I heard John Olsen quoted on the ABC yesterday arvo. He is still spouting the, 'we will have a deal before the start of the AFL season and it will be a deal both AFL Clubs are happy with', line. I agree, same old spin from Olsen at least.

Hopefully we will have some news sometime next month but it could yet be March. Quite frankly I am over it, the deal has taken way too long to negotiate and I am now resigned to the fact that it will happen when it happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... But a slew of two-bit welfare clubs whose greatest claim to fame is serving as the Washington Generals to our Harlem Globetrotters are entitled to millions of other people's dollars in perpetuity.
Surely a metaphor wasted on anyone under 40? Or does everyone just research stuff these days?

..... Quite frankly I am over it, the deal has taken way too long to negotiate and I am now resigned to the fact that it will happen when it happens.
The deal has taken basically a year to renegotiate. When we look back in a decade I don't think we will feel that was unfairly slow or obstructionist. Yes it isn't signed off on yet. Yes it was frustrating when it seemed the SMA would never budge. But they have, and both SA AFL clubs are making happy-ish sounds. One day we may even say the whole setting up process was well handled.
It strikes me it must be far easier for all parties to working through this now there are actual figures to go by. And not just from footy and cricket. The SMA has dollars rolling in from music concerts, other sports spectacles etc and this eases the need to hold money back from footy to finance maintenance, the sinking fund etc.

Not for a generation weaned on the peak era of The Simpsons

View attachment 104402
And Matt Groenig produced Futurama where the Globetrotters also appeared but there's no context in either show. I actually remember the Globetrotters/Generals visiting Adelaide. Well the Globetrotters anyway, we may have had a local patsy.

And Matt Groenig produced Futurama where the Globetrotters also appeared but there's no context in either show. I actually remember the Globetrotters/Generals visiting Adelaide. Well the Globetrotters anyway, we may have had a local patsy.

"Krusty you... bet it against the Harlem Globetrotters?"

- "I thought the Generals were due!"

Context seems pretty solid.

I heard John Olsen quoted on the ABC yesterday arvo. He is still spouting the, 'we will have a deal before the start of the AFL season and it will be a deal both AFL Clubs are happy with', line. I agree, same old spin from Olsen at least.

Hopefully we will have some news sometime next month but it could yet be March. Quite frankly I am over it, the deal has taken way too long to negotiate and I am now resigned to the fact that it will happen when it happens.
KT is spinning as well.

KT is spinning as well.

What can he say when the Facebook platoon think we should renege on all our agreements, install 5000 deckchairs, a few portaloos and play all our games at Alberton?

Explaining the nuances of this stuff to the wider base is like trying to beat an amputee at Twister.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back