Universal Love Steve Hocking has retired as AFL operations manager

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never understood why every single media person (and sHocking) is convinced that the more tired players are, the more games open up/scoring increases.

If I was tired, and knew that the rest of my team was also tired, I'd be making sure that the ball stays in tight, in congestion, to avoid having to run to open space. If your players are exhausted, you're not going to urge them to open the game up, it'd be suicide.

Seems to me that the real reason games open up late are teams throwing caution to the wind and trying to score quickly, which leaves them vulnerable defensively. The other times are when a team is getting a lot of repeat inside 50s, and eventually the defending team switches off mentally and the floodgates open.

I recall a stat stating that the highest scoring seasons recently were when the interchanges were unlimited, around 2011/2012. Not according to AFL HQ at least...
The AFL are risk averse
Damien Ferret-Barrett continuing to try to polish the AFL's most recognisable turd...

View attachment 1173735

No Damien, he didn't and he's left a huge mess behind him for the next bloke to have to clean up. And you are complicit in that all the way up to your chinny chin chin.
Barrett is well paid to take it fist and arm like a hand puppet and spruike the gospel according to AFL house. A former journo, now employed in advertising.
I say solely but guess without soul. That would have been sold.

Another Friday night goal scoring masterpiece brought to you by Steve Hocking. 2 goals to nil 10 mins into the second quarter Bombs v Craws.

Steve will be the bloke remembered for making footy look like netball, but score like soccer.

Its absolutely laughable how bad the game is

It has became a soft, low scoring version of 15m "kick to kick".

I can understand there were people who were not fond of our game-style as it was messy watching at times, but it absolutely shits over the crap being dished up tonight. So many games look this dull now

Another Friday night goal scoring masterpiece brought to you by Steve Hocking. 2 goals to nil 10 mins into the second quarter Bombs v Craws.

Steve will be the bloke remembered for making footy look like netball, but score like soccer.

Don't knock netball ... it's nothing like this s**t being tossed up tonight.

I don't understand the people lauding him (SHocking) after two minutes in the job he just left (in proportion to the history of the game). His time will be seen as some of the biggest knee jerk reactions the game has ever seen in due course!

Its absolutely laughable how bad the game is

It has became a soft, low scoring version of 15m "kick to kick".

I can understand there were people who were not fond of our game-style as it was messy watching at times, but it absolutely shits over the crap being dished up tonight. So many games look this dull now

it was never messy watching. It was keeping the ball in motion at all costs. It was sensational to watch. When we piled on scores the only person that had influence that had a problem with it was hocking. Disgrace.

How does Steve Hocking get to leave after making such wholesale radical changes to the fabric and traditions of the game, whilst possessing every club's intellectual property (all their secrets, their current financial and playing situations and their plans for the future) to go back and head up his old team ?!?!

What a monumental leg up for the Cats for the next ten years. The only saving grace being that they will still choke in finals but hey ! Corruption !

Just a little tidbit. Had a corporate function 5 years ago. Speaker was a well known footy ops guy (not hocking).

they had won a few flags (wink,wink). Told us about all the rules changes the AFL had implemented to make it harder for them to win.

FF 2021. I can see it all. AFL wants the NFL model in that you never see back to backs or three peats. Or very rarely.

AFL manufactures it off a 23 game season though. Handicap the fixture. Destroy the soft cap. Change the rules. No fairness.

Just a little tidbit. Had a corporate function 5 years ago. Speaker was a well known footy ops guy (not hocking).

they had won a few flags (wink,wink). Told us about all the rules changes the AFL had implemented to make it harder for them to win.

FF 2021. I can see it all. AFL wants the NFL model in that you never see back to backs or three peats. Or very rarely.

AFL manufactures it off a 23 game season though. Handicap the fixture. Destroy the soft cap. Change the rules. No fairness.
The worst case scenario for the AFL is to have a Patriots style dominating team.

Why this is, is still a mystery to me.

The Lakers and Magic in the 80'$, the Bulls and MJ in the 90's, Man Utd with David Beckham, the All Blacks TM with Jonah Lomu, Real Madrid with Ronaldo, Bjorn Borg, Babe Ruth go back in history...etc etc it's always the rare teams, the exceptional and unique players that make eras, make legends, make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, make sporting history.

Why are we denying amazingess ?$topping champions ? Shortening their reigns ?

When it's what people want, crave, remember and reminisce about long into the future, one man stepped in to stop the reign, change the game to stop one team...who does that ?

Small minded people create nothing but a warped legacy for themselves.

We will win this game and we aren't done yet.

The worst case scenario for the AFL is to have a Patriots style dominating team.

The Lakers and Magic in the 80'$, the Bulls and MJ in the 90's, Man Utd with David Beckham, the All Blacks TM with Jonah Lomu, Real Madrid with Ronaldo, Bjorn Borg, Babe Ruth go back in history...etc etc it's always the rare teams, the exceptional and unique players that make eras, make legends, make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, make sporting history.

When it's what people want, crave, remember and reminisce about long into the future, one man stepped in to stop the reign, change the game to stop one team...who does that ?

Business decisions based on $$$ kpis - ratings, gates etc and bring down RFC at all cost for that reason. Incompetent afl governance to allow him to now ceo a club, obviously his afl employment contract had no clause to stop him. If correct this incompetence to avoid corrupt administrators sits on Gill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should. But when you have partisan hacks like hocking given jobs I’m not hopeful

The most satisfying thing is Geelong have sold their future to win a flag this year (which they won't) and as soon as they play a good team away from KP they will be destroyed.

So good luck Hocking you useless campaigner.

Damien Ferret-Barrett continuing to try to polish the AFL's most recognisable turd...

View attachment 1173735

No Damien, he didn't and he's left a huge mess behind him for the next bloke to have to clean up. And you are complicit in that all the way up to your chinny chin chin.

Barrett is doing his job as an AFL employee. That’s why nothing he says has any credibility. He can’t even claim that he is a journalist anymore because that’s not part of the job description.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is it any coincidence that as soon
As S Hocking came to the AFL
We won 3 out of 4 flags ?
And now he's leaving we are s**t again,,,,could steve Hocking be a true Richmond Man,,
No Hocking no Richmond
Come back steve we need you

And now he's leaving we are sh*t again,,,,could steve Hocking be a true Richmond Man,,
No Hocking no Richmond
The State OI The Game started mid 17.

Desperation as the Richmond juggernaut was on the March!

View attachment 1173735

Barrett works for the AFL, he was always going to toe the company line.

The bloke is an A-Grade puppet without a spine of his own.

And now he's leaving we are sh*t again,,,,could steve Hocking be a true Richmond Man,,
No Hocking no Richmond
Nah, like most folks out of Geelong they’re 5 years behind the rest of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back