Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guru =
6fabcbd4e236968b0704509acefb6d56.gif

She must have been a stunner back in those days, not even a lifeboat in the picture.

Hunger striker is taking nutrition again (guardian link so as not to startle anyone).

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...accepts-fluids-after-44-days-on-hunger-strike

“I welcome the news that [he] has begun accepting food, but we must not forget why he was driven to such lengths,” Hanson-Young said. “This man chose to end his life in immigration detention rather than return to his homeland."

No hyphen, he didn't end his life.

Hunger striker is taking nutrition again (guardian link so as not to startle anyone).

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...accepts-fluids-after-44-days-on-hunger-strike

“I welcome the news that [he] has begun accepting food, but we must not forget why he was driven to such lengths,” Hanson-Young said. “This man chose to end his life in immigration detention rather than return to his homeland."

No hyphen, he didn't end his life.
I reckon Sarah Hanson-Young would win a starvation contest hands down! :)

The left are so naive. If some rocket scientist refuses to eat because he's demonstratively not a refugee, then thats his problem. You dont roll over and change all the rules to accomodate him otherwise you'd encourage more centrelink shoppers to run the gauntlet from Indonesia and (once they are shown to be frauds) more hunger strikers. Like I say though this guys bluff has been called anyway, he's decided he's hungry enough to eat after all..

The left are so naive. If some rocket scientist refuses to eat because he's demonstratively not a refugee, then thats his problem. You dont roll over and change all the rules to accomodate him otherwise you'd encourage more centrelink shoppers to run the gauntlet from Indonesia and (once they are shown to be frauds) more hunger strikers. Like I say though this guys bluff has been called anyway, he's decided he's hungry enough to eat after all..
So he has called off his hunger strike, so much for the courage of his convictions. He tried the big old bluff and didn't work, well done to Peter Dutton for standing firm for whats right.

You don't give into blackmail, you stand firm. Thats what Peter Dutton has done , he called his bluff. Its outrageous to call us scum because we dont support people who try these type of stunts to gain entry when they fail to meet the criteria. You have to have rules or the whole system fails, and we could have any number of people gain entry who are not fit to be allowed in the country. Example (Monis) he slipped in through cracks in the system, now is not the time to let willy nilly anyone in, Australian citizens have first right to go about in safety.

BTW the longest fast medically documented is one year and 17 days..... how long you can last really depends on how much body fat you possess. (this particular fellow started around 200kg and was down to around 75kg at the end)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

A 27-year-old male patient fasted under supervision for 382 days and has subsequently maintained his normal weight. Blood glucose concentrations around 30 mg/100 ml were recorded consistently during the last 8 months, although the patient was ambulant and attending as an out-patient. Responses to glucose and tolbutamide tolerance tests remained normal. The hyperglycaemic response to glucagon was reduced and latterly absent, but promptly returned to normal during carbohydrate refeeding. After an initial decrease was corrected, plasma potassium levels remained normal without supplementation. A temporary period of hypercalcaemia occurred towards the end of the fast. Decreased plasma magnesium concentrations were a consistent feature from the first month onwards. After 100 days of fasting there was a marked and persistent increase in the excretion of urinary cations and inorganic phosphate, which until then had been minimal. These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass. Prolonged fasting in this patient had no ill-effects.

To be honest, his protest sounds quite calculated rather than suicidal considering this is the second time he has been "near death". Most probably to gain media attention....which is the point I guess.

(The first was when he was convinced to eat again by Julian Burnstein due to available legal avenues iirc)

Not that such fasting isn't potentially dangerous...... not eating fat for such a long time would make one susceptible to painful kidney and gallstones at a minimum. (I used to water fast 30 days once or twice a year for religious reasons)

44 days of not eating, 10 days in critical condition, has now been given fluids...

You lot are actual scum.

It was his choice to do it, obviously his decision making process needs attention. Not the right type of person that this country needs the sooner he gets the arse the better. Be even better if soft utensils like you could be sent with him.

It was his choice to do it, obviously his decision making process needs attention. Not the right type of person that this country needs the sooner he gets the arse the better. Be even better if soft utensils like you could be sent with him.
Watch your language, unnecessary!!!
Not surprised with who liked it.

This is a national disgrace. The government knew what was happening on Nauru, and rather than set about trying to resolve the problem they just attacked their critics.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...asylum-centre-and-royal-commission-into-abuse
The federal government has been aware of physical and sexual abuse of asylum seekers on Nauru for more than a year but failed to take appropriate action, workers from the detention centre have alleged.

In an unprecedented move, 23 current and former medical staff, teachers, social workers and child protection staff have signed an open letter calling for the removal of all asylum seekers from Nauru to Australia. They have also called for a royal commission into sexual abuse on Nauru and into the government’s response.

500.jpg

Transfield immigration staff told they can be fired for using Facebook
Read more
The three-page letter says comments by immigration minister Peter Dutton that there was a “zero tolerance” attitude to sexual abuse “do not reflect the attitude or actual response” on Nauru.

It says Dutton’s request for asylum seekers to come forward and report sexual assaults could put them in further danger because of the close-knit nature of the detention environment.

The recent review led by former integrity commissioner Philip Moss found some allegations of sexual assault at the centre were substantiated. The review has now sparked a federal Senate inquiry to further investigate allegations of abuse at the centre.

Some of the workers were also due to appear on ABC’s Lateline on Tuesday evening.

The letter says: “We are a group of current and former employees from the Nauru detention centre who have first-hand knowledge of the conditions in which children and adults are detained.

“We would like to inform the Australian public that the government and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection [DIBP] has been aware of the [allegations of] sexual and physical assault of women and children on Nauru for at least 17 months, long before the Moss review was ever commissioned.

“[DIBP] and all service providers were informed, in writing, of several of the assaults detailed in the Moss review in addition to many other assaults not mentioned in the report.”

The letter was signed by former and current staff and workers from Save the Children and International Health and Medical Services.

Former Save the Children workers named on the letter include Jesse-James Clements, Viktoria Vibhakar, Tobias Gunn, Jarrod Kenney, Hamish Tacey and E Maree.

Named former staff from International Health and Medical Services include Dr Peter Young, Dr Rodney Juratowitch and Dr Michael Gordon.

A number of other current and former staff from Save the Children and the Salvation Army have signed the letter, but chose to remain anonymous.

The incidents it highlights include one from November 2013 in which a boy was sexually assaulted by a detention centre employee. Guardian Australia has previously reported on the case, and obtained documents that show the service provider Transfield filed an incident report at the time.

The letter says that on this and other occasions, the immigration department was made aware of the allegations through incident reports, meetings and minutes from Save the Children meetings, but that it chose not to act.

“Despite this knowledge, the DIBP chose to keep this child in the detention centre where he was assaulted and remained at risk of further abuse and retaliation. Indeed, this child was subjected to further incidents of abuse while he was in detention.”

The letter says Dutton’s comments encouraging asylum seekers to report abuse when the Moss report was released posed further risks as they continue to live in close proximity to the alleged perpetrators. The signatories allege this will place them at future risk of assaults.

“It is not safe to expect women and children to report abuse to authorities and then require them to live in close proximity to the [alleged] perpetrators,” it said.

“To do so places them at risk for repeated assault, retaliation for reporting the abuse, and exposure to repeated reminders of the assaults that they suffered which further delays their recovery from trauma.”

The letter says the sexual exploitation of vulnerable women by detention centre staff – another allegation raised by Moss – was reported to the Department of Immigration 16 months before the Moss review.

“However, DIBP refused to remove these women from the unsafe detention environment.”

The letter calls for the closure of the Nauru detention centre.

“In order to protect asylum seekers, and in particular women and children from further abuse, we immediately ask for the transfer of all asylum seekers in the Nauru detention camp to Australia. We also request the Australian people support a royal commission into abuse allegations in the Nauru detention centre.”

The Senate inquiry into events on Nauru is now accepting submissions, and is likely to hold public hearings in April and May. Some former detention centre staff are preparing submissions, which will be protected by parliamentary privilege.
I look forward, in vain I suspect, to the those responsible for this being held to account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a national disgrace. The government knew what was happening on Nauru, and rather than set about trying to resolve the problem they just attacked their critics.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...asylum-centre-and-royal-commission-into-abuse

I look forward, in vain I suspect, to the those responsible for this being held to account.
Sadly the response from some on here will be, 'but we stopped the deaths at sea'.
This will always be their justification.

Sad you can't differentiate between foul and bad language.
So you have nothing to say about another poster calling people SCUM, it seems you are extremely selective in who you take issue with, no wonder people dont take you seriously

So you have nothing to say about another poster calling people SCUM, it seems you are extremely selective in who you take issue with, no wonder people dont take you seriously
Oh dear, my fragile ego can't take it but please don't stop your ranting, finding it very amusing.
What do you think about the article Gough posted or do you just want to attack me?
Have a good day.:)

Oh dear, my fragile ego can't take it but please don't stop your ranting, finding it very amusing.
What do you think about the article Gough posted or do you just want to attack me?
Have a good day.:)
i'm not attacking you at all, i am asking you do right thing , and also point out CM86 should not have called posters SCUM, its not much to ask from you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back