Suns drop three more players for disciplinary reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't, he was running Collingwood's footy department.
Work experience.
I get alcohol and drug tests at work regularly and Im only on 100k. But because of it, I dont do drugs and I dont drink before going to work. Its not hard logic to grasp. Alcohol is NOT a good way to recover from a professional level game.

I didnt say they were, but all three of them choosing to go and drink alcohol after a professional sporting match is putting their future at risk.
What..ever?
No-one should ever have a beer as celebration because you don't?

What..ever?
No-one should ever have a beer as celebration because you don't?

If someone is playing a professional sport, say for a random example AFL, part of their recovery schedule wouldnt be a few pints down at the pub. Maybe in the local league, heck maybe back in the 80s. But PROFESSIONAL athletes these days are paid upwards of 1 million a year and their ability to recover from a game and bounce back for another in sometimes less than 7 days is crucial. Drinking alcohol isnt going to help that, and its completely understandable that leadership groups and clubs would stamp it out.

Did I say because I dont drink a beer before getting on the bus to work that NO ONE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF EVER should drink before/after work? No. But in the case of professional athletes, they are taking a risk that puts their careers in danger. Its stupid and shouldnt be something that happens.

Queensland footy in the midst of a real golden age.

buy-online-xxxx-gold-stubbies-24-bottles-375ml-500x500.jpg

Your workplace turn a blind eye to showing up late or hungover due to a big night on the sauce, does it?

This is a thing you realize?
I reckon every job i've had we've turned blind eyes and helped each other out on hang over days.
This includes bosses.
Good player. Complete and utter dumbass as a coach.

That clears thing up a little hahah
Was true magic watching McKenna and that WCE defense in the day.

is it that hard for elite sportsmen to not drink alcohol?
Hard for everybody.

If they were asked not to drink THIS WEEK, then go out and actually do it. Well it shows the mentality of these lads, and where some of them are at.
Well, I like people ignoring stupid rules...

You'd put a 200k job at risk just for a drink?
I'd probably avoid that job to start with.

Suns won't have Bennell, McKenzie, Matera, May, Martin, Tape, Garlett, Day, Malceski, Swallow, O'Meara or Ablett.

That's mental.
Except Saad and Dixon isn't that their only good players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the players have checked out. Can't really blame them.
Expect a mass exodus at years end. Eade has lost the playing group.

Sounds like the culture was so bad at the Suns that Rocket has to accept them getting worse before they get better as he attempts to improve said culture. Right now the culture is more important than on field success.
are people really giving Eade an excuse by saying the culture of the club he inherited was bad? What a cop out. You could go through a lot of premiership teams who have had party boys and that didnt stop them.

Hangover yes of course if you can still perform your job and nobody notices a difference.

Yes, if nobody notices the difference. Obviously in this case, the bosses or peers did notice, or their instructions or team rules weren't followed, and the players were called out and punished accordingly.

Every workplace and employer has rules, and consequences for not following those rules. Hardly an unreasonable expectation to just lay off the booze after the game, and hardly an unreasonable reaction to players breaking the rules, either.

Is there any suggestion this is the case here?

Suns dump trio for breaching alcohol rule

They might not have been rolling drunk, but the directive was there to not drink, and they defied it.

This is a thing you realize?
I reckon every job i've had we've turned blind eyes and helped each other out on hang over days.
This includes bosses.

Not saying it doesn't go on, just that different bosses and different people have different tolerance of what they'll let slide. Obviously it's a recognisable enough "issue" amongst the Suns group for there to have to be a strict directive not to drink post-match, and the players broke it.

are people really giving Eade an excuse by saying the culture of the club he inherited was bad? What a cop out. You could go through a lot of premiership teams who have had party boys and that didnt stop them.

Kind of surprised that so many seem to somehow be making Eade out to be the bad guy in this circumstance.

Last edited:
Rocket obviously putting his stamp on the club. Very interesting and potentially tells us a bit more around why bluey was sacked.

Lol. Rocket's stamp at the moment is "set club back 10 years'. Job complete by the way.

A few top class players will be on the march at the end of the year if Rocket gets renewed. Bookmark it

If the Crows lose this game I think I might just give up for the year. Insane amount of quality out of the Gold Coast side.

Gary Ablett Jnr
Jaeger O'Meara
Harley Bennell
David Swallow
Brandon Matera
Trent McKenzie
Jarrod Harbrow
Steven May
Seb Tape
Rory Thompson
Sam Day
Nick Malceski
Jack Martin
Jarrod Garlett

All best 22 players, all either injured or suspended. Greg Broughton, Sean Lemmens and Daniel Gorringe are on the cusp of their best side, and are out too.

Last edited:
Name the others of the last 20 years besides the Eagles?

And that Eagles side were experienced players who got up to trouble in their own time and kept it under wraps for a long time. When it started to get out they tumbled down the ladder.

Bomber Thompson suspends Stevie J and later he comes back and wins a Norm Smith.
Ross Lyon pretty much sacks Colin Sylvia and it's lauded as a smart move.

Yet Eade tries to get some very basic standards in place and he's attacked. Come off it.

There's no way Eade wasn't a players coach or was over the top at the Dogs. He had a reputation for his sprays but he didn't go over the top on his bulldog group. Better to fix things up now than continue unchecked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back