SC 2016 - My Team (Pre-NAB Challenge)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll be a Prestia clone mark my words.

People like Brett Anderson (inside football writer) rated Gresh a better talent than Parish, now that's saying something & Richo apparently LOVES him.

Will he be starting 22 from round 1 though? Don't think I can spare the extra 20k+ if he isn't named.

612966-will-ben-cousins-finger-seal-his-fate-.jpg
:D:cool:

Probably the biggest spend in the backline that I have seen. (Would look much better with Shaw rather than McVeigh)
The 2 best ruckman.
3 Genuine premo forwards.

The risk obviously is Liberatore and Crouch.
If both deliver, you're sitting pretty.
If one delivers, the other bombs, you'll be ok.
If both bomb, you're in the Shiite.

I don't dislike the look of it. As far as a taking a risk goes, this is one I would consider myself.
Agree but i can't see Libba flopping. He might not fly but i don't see him as a risk.
I don't like the look of it

Pretty good effort. I agree with Yeo over Rich but I would be going with Brad Crouch over O'Meara. I reckon he is a safer bet even though both are risky, will average 90+ if he gets 15+ games imo. Not sure on Breust, he seems to average around 83 every year so I'd much rather spend some extra cash to get a premium forward instead. Think you're missing a trick by not having any of Deledio, Martin or Dahlhaus. Bennell is risky while those other three are much more solid picks.

Depends on how much cash you got left maybe something like:

Bennell>Barlow then Bruest > Martin, Deledio or Dahlhaus depending on cash and who you like??

Still overall a good team.

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm not sure on Barlow given his poor season just gone and considering he was getting less midfield time. However if he is being guaranteed more time in the middle then I will be proven wrong, as he’s always been a great scorer. Though I think Ross will be wanting to change things up, finally, to spice-up his side. Bennell has potential to score big, much bigger than Barlow in my opinion. The only risk with him are his off-field antics, because when he plays he is a star.

Breust I can agree with - I’m just hoping he gets more time in the middle and ups his possession average by 5. However I was thinking this would occur last season. Though with the reduction in interchanges and with our aging midfield, I expect Breust to play more midfield minutes. As for his ability to score – he’s so clean, tackles, (obviously) kicks goals and is great in the air for his size. To me his skill-set is tailor made for that midfield/forward role. Then again his effectiveness as a small forward may prove to work against him in this sense, especially with Roughie going down for several months.

Having said all that Deledio, Dahlhaus and Martin (and Wingard) are certainties to have big seasons. Do you expect Dahlhaus will be playing more time in the midfield, or play that half-forward role like last season? Also I’m interested to hear your opinion on Stringer, will he be getting more midfield minutes? I think he’s in a similar position to Breust. Considering Libba will be coming back into the midfield I am unsure (add to that Picken’s terrific season). Also, where/what role do you see Suckling playing?

As for O’Meara v Crouch – I don’t know enough about Crouch to make a judgement call there. I think I will follow them both during the NAB games to see where they’re at.

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm not sure on Barlow given his poor season just gone and considering he was getting less midfield time. However if he is being guaranteed more time in the middle then I will be proven wrong, as he’s always been a great scorer. Though I think Ross will be wanting to change things up, finally, to spice-up his side. Bennell has potential to score big, much bigger than Barlow in my opinion. The only risk with him are his off-field antics, because when he plays he is a star.

Breust I can agree with - I’m just hoping he gets more time in the middle and ups his possession average by 5. However I was thinking this would occur last season. Though with the reduction in interchanges and with our aging midfield, I expect Breust to play more midfield minutes. As for his ability to score – he’s so clean, tackles, (obviously) kicks goals and is great in the air for his size. To me his skill-set is tailor made for that midfield/forward role. Then again his effectiveness as a small forward may prove to work against him in this sense, especially with Roughie going down for several months.

Having said all that Deledio, Dahlhaus and Martin (and Wingard) are certainties to have big seasons. Do you expect Dahlhaus will be playing more time in the midfield, or play that half-forward role like last season? Also I’m interested to hear your opinion on Stringer, will he be getting more midfield minutes? I think he’s in a similar position to Breust. Considering Libba will be coming back into the midfield I am unsure (add to that Picken’s terrific season). Also, where/what role do you see Suckling playing?

As for O’Meara v Crouch – I don’t know enough about Crouch to make a judgement call there. I think I will follow them both during the NAB games to see where they’re at.

Dahl will play pretty much the same role he did last year, half-forward with stints in the middle/wing. He is our barometer and if he can clean up his goal-kicking he should improve his average on last season. Gia our forward coach has said recently he expects Stringer to spend a little more time in the middle this year but with the loss of Crameri I don't know how true that will be. I think he is still very much needed close to goal but will still have bursts in the middle. Like you said Libba will back plus Koby Stevens who is rated highly at the club. If I was to predict I can't see him improving his average enough to justify picking him. Could be wrong though as the guy is freak with a ridiculous ceiling. Suckling will effectively be replacing Jarrad Grant who played a half-forward/wing role. I'm sure at times he will go back but with some many other options down there it will be very limited. I think he will kick more goals this year than in previous years but just can't seeing him getting a heap of the ball.

Hope that helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennell has potential to score big, much bigger than Barlow in my opinion. The only risk with him are his off-field antics, because when he plays he is a star.

He's missed 30+ games in 5 years from Sciatica related back & calf problems. Has only played more than 17 games in a season once in 5 years. He's had the same medical problem for his entire career, it's only going to get worse as he gets older. His off field antics aren't the main reason why he is unreliable as a SC premo.

Will he be starting 22 from round 1 though? Don't think I can spare the extra 20k+ if he isn't named.

He will play. I have absolutely no doubt. Richo rates him very highly. Had the speed and skills that we lack in the midfield.

L-O-C-K!

Your probably right but NAB will confirm or disprove that.

He'd be competing with the likes of Boekhorst (who's been really good so far this pre-season) Kerridge, Wright & Lamb for 1, maybe 2 spots. Kerridge & Wright have impressed so far. I hope Sumner proves me wrong, but I don't think he has the work ethic to make it.

Poupolo could be an interesting smokey. Averaged 75 last year but is expected to be in the midfield for longer periods of time(article on hawthorn website about it). Could average 90+ this year

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2016-02-06/more-midfield-time-for-puopolo
Doesn't say that he will but players usually don't say stuff about what positions they'll likely play in at this stage of the season

He's missed 30+ games in 5 years from Sciatica related back & calf problems. Has only played more than 17 games in a season once in 5 years. He's had the same medical problem for his entire career, it's only going to get worse as he gets older. His off field antics aren't the main reason why he is unreliable as a SC premo.

Fair point, I wasn't aware that he had that issue.

What makes you sure Gresham is going to be playing a lot? What have you heard SM? :footy:
Richo lovess him.

We need our better young talent playing senior afl football, I think the Gresh will play 12-15 games easily. Look at SINClair & Lonie ;)

Plus Barrels our TAC cup recruiter/watcher rates him very highly, but don't expect barrels to say much :p

Last edited:
Looks pretty good for mid-February. :thumbsu:
Boyd will not play 22 games, which is why I won't start with him in my SC team. I want my keepers to play every week, not have to be covered with rookies from time to time.

No major issues with most of your remaining selections.

Looking at the Grimley/Loersch DPP link that you have established - how effective do you think this will be? What I mean by that is, how many times is Grimley going to be realistic cover for either Goldstein or Lobbe?

If you think Grimley's going to be decent cover, why not just start him as your R3?
If you don't think Grimley's going to be decent cover, then it doesn't matter about the DPP link and again, why not just have Grimley as one non-playing cheap ruck instead of also having Loersch?

If you go with Grimley in your final 30, I think you can definitely drop Loersch from the squad entirely and just put Grimley at R3 instead of on your forward bench.

Opinions gents:

Initial thoughts are too many mid-ranged priced players (Yeo, Smith, Libba, O'Meara, Franklin, Breust), but I think they all have the potential to have big seasons.

Yeo over Rich?

O’Meara’s recovery – trade down and upgrade someone else?

Breust and Franklin – trade down and upgrade the other to Deledio or Martin, with cash to spare to upgrade someone else?

View attachment 213964
Yeo definitely has more upside than Rich. Yeo may get more midfield time in 2016 once some of his KPD team mates are back from injury.

O'Meara hasn't been doing change-of-direction work yet and is a massive chance not to be playing come R1. Will not be risked by the club.

As to how many mid-pricers, there is no limit. But the more you have, the more likely it is that some of them won't break out and will need to be upgraded, costing you both the missed opportunity to fatten up a cheap rookie in the same slot, and a trade.

Most years, there are only a handful of mid-pricers who break out to premium level scoring for their position. There are of course many more that don't. Do you remember Newnes, Lumumba etc. from last year? Swan/Higgins/Bontempelli were some of the success stories. But there were easily more failures than successes.

Personally I try to limit myself to not more than 3-4 players less than 500k and more than 200k. But then there are those who prefer mid-priced-madness. Each to their own.

Sicily kicked 5 goals in Hawthorns intra-club. Could be Roughies replacement and if so a good option
Sicily is 186 cm. He is going to have to punch above his height division if he wants to play the same role as Roughead would have in the team. I reckon the kid is alright, but I don't think he's a like-for-like fit to Roughead's role.

Shoenmakers on the other hand, much taller (195) and more likely to play Roughead's role.

Agree but i can't see Libba flopping. He might not fly but i don't see him as a risk.
I don't like the look of it
I replied to a poster recently about NOT breaking any of my GOLDEN RULES...... but for Libba...... oh dear.:oops::eek::cry::drunk:

He'll get some good points and go up 200K. Worst case scenario if you keep him he becomes the Mid emerg if you are luck and his body holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back