Surely an Al Clarkson congratulatory thread is in order.

Who is the greatest AFL coach of the past 10 years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to Clarko!!

Does anyone know how he his going with the Guillain-Barre.

I heard a rumour he was going to head into a director of coaching role, to manage the ongoing treatment of this. (with Bolts moving to a full time coach)
Coaching, not surprisingly, is not a good mix with this syndrome.

First and foremost, I hope he is still recovering well. Secondly, i hope the rumours not true!

One final quarter of football, 2013 pf final, has not only established Clarkson as an all time great, but also saved his career. Another loss to Geelong would most certainly have been curtains for him. What an amazing quarter of football.

He has become a brilliant coach and probably well positioned to do the unthinkable and get hawthorn to a third in a row, a feat we so regularly tried but failed to achieve as a club. Hopefully the lessons of 1990 have been learnt. No complacency!

Clarkson has the ability to be the greatest coach in the history of the afl.

KOLOKOTRONIS

One final quarter of football, 2013 pf final, has not only established Clarkson as an all time great, but also saved his career. Another loss to Geelong would most certainly have been curtains for him. What an amazing quarter of football.

He has become a brilliant coach and probably well positioned to do the unthinkable and get hawthorn to a third in a row, a feat we so regularly tried but failed to achieve as a club. Hopefully the lessons of 1990 have been learnt. No complacency!

Clarkson has the ability to be the greatest coach in the history of the afl.

KOLOKOTRONIS

It happens a lot more than you would think!

In all there have been 23 teams that have won multiple flags in a row...

Hawthorn - '13-14
Brisbane Lions - '01-02 (plus '03)
Adelaide - '97-98
Hawthorn - '88-89
Essendon - '84-85
Carlton - '81-82
Richmond - '73-74
Melbourne - '59-60
Melbourne - '55-56 (plus '57)
Geelong - '51-52
Essendon - '49-50
Melbourne - '39-40 (plus '41)
Collingwood - '35-36
Collingwood - '27-28 (plus '29 and '30)
Essendon - '23-24
Richmond - '20-21
Carlton - '14-15
Essendon - '11-12
Carlton - '06-07 (plus '08)
Fitzroy - '04-05
Collingwood - '02-03
Fitzroy '98-99

All flags won up till 1930 were subject to the Challenge System (where the defender premier or minor premier had the right to contest a Grand Final rematch). Of those, there was no Grand Final in 1924

Between 1897 and 2014 there have been 88 different premiers, just over a quarter have gone back to back. Since the eradication of the Challenge System (Collingwood have only won 5 flags since this was removed), 69 premiers have secured 84 flags (just under one-fifth of all flags) and of those that have, just under one quarter have won b2b.

By odds its slightly in favour of clubs chasing the three-peat with the 'hump' often being the second!

It happens a lot more than you would think!

In all there have been 23 teams that have won multiple flags in a row...

Hawthorn - '13-14
Brisbane Lions - '01-02 (plus '03)
Adelaide - '97-98
Hawthorn - '88-89
Essendon - '84-85
Carlton - '81-82
Richmond - '73-74
Melbourne - '59-60
Melbourne - '55-56 (plus '57)
Geelong - '51-52
Essendon - '49-50
Melbourne - '39-40 (plus '41)
Collingwood - '35-36
Collingwood - '27-28 (plus '29 and '30)
Essendon - '23-24
Richmond - '20-21
Carlton - '14-15
Essendon - '11-12
Carlton - '06-07 (plus '08)
Fitzroy - '04-05
Collingwood - '02-03
Fitzroy '98-99

All flags won up till 1930 were subject to the Challenge System (where the defender premier or minor premier had the right to contest a Grand Final rematch). Of those, there was no Grand Final in 1924

Between 1897 and 2014 there have been 88 different premiers, just over a quarter have gone back to back. Since the eradication of the Challenge System (Collingwood have only won 5 flags since this was removed), 69 premiers have secured 84 flags (just under one-fifth of all flags) and of those that have, just under one quarter have won b2b.

By odds its slightly in favour of clubs chasing the three-peat with the 'hump' often being the second!

Back to back happens yes, I meant to win three on the trot. That is rare.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I heard a rumour he was going to head into a director of coaching role, to manage the ongoing treatment of this. (with Bolts moving to a full time coach)
Coaching, not surprisingly, is not a good mix with this syndrome.

First and foremost, I hope he is still recovering well. Secondly, i hope the rumours not true!
where did you hear this????

I hope the great man is taking a well-deserved rest and making sure he rids himself of that syndrome once and for all, so he can be fit and firing for good.

After all, he has a 10-peat to get us through.

He is on the doorstep of greatness and becoming The Emperor

There once was a small bloke named Clarko
Who is up there with JK, Yabby, Joycey and Parko,
He's won us three flags,
From Jeff he was bagged,
Now his critics, off they can farko !

Ha ha, Shakespeare couldn't do better!

My serious views of Clarko and his innovations:

1. The defensive cluster
2. The man on the mark jumping and distracting the guy with the ball
3. The precision kicking
4. Tough, unsociable footy
5. Attacking, high scoring footy.

He's the man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha, Shakespeare couldn't do better!

My serious views of Clarko and his innovations:

1. The defensive cluster
2. The man on the mark jumping and distracting the guy with the ball
3. The precision kicking
4. Tough, unsociable footy
5. Attacking, high scoring footy.

He's the man!

Also personally responsible for the eradication of the deliberate rushed behind.

Before 2014, you had Freo supporters and other people saying how good Ross Lyon was and how many premierships he would win if he coached the talent of the Hawks side. Clarkson rebuilt us from the very bottom, got us winning a flag in 2008 with a team that had some battlers in it and now back to back premierships with a really good side and there's more to come. I doubt Ross Lyon could have done any better considering the circumstances.

Before 2014, you had Freo supporters and other people saying how good Ross Lyon was and how many premierships he would win if he coached the talent of the Hawks side. Clarkson rebuilt us from the very bottom, got us winning a flag in 2008 with a team that had some battlers in it and now back to back premierships with a really good side and there's more to come. I doubt Ross Lyon could have done any better considering the circumstances.
Clarko: took over a hopeless team, won 3 flags.
Lyin: took over 2 strong teams, no flags at all.

Also personally responsible for the eradication of the deliberate rushed behind.
Also loved that tactic of ensuring that the player who had just disposed off the ball was taken out so as they could not participate in the next contest.
It was an 08 thing.

And in the spirit of the thread. Well done Clarko - you did alright (dont want him getting ahead of himself)

I love this quote from the SMH article:

"Hawks interim chief executive Jason Dunstall and his fellow coaching sub-committee faced stinging criticism for their performance in the coaching search, missing out on Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade and failing to get through to Mark Harvey."

Dodged 3 bullets!

"Hawks interim chief executive Jason Dunstall and his fellow coaching sub-committee faced stinging criticism for their performance in the coaching search, missing out on Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade and failing to get through to Mark Harvey."

Dodged 3 bullets!
Not to mention Shaun Rehn, the club would have folded!!

Dodged 3 bullets!
I don't think Eade and Harvey are all that bad tbh but definitely no Clarko

Back