Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon - congratulations on '16 Wooden Spoon (RIP The Scales)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So * has been charged with breaching section 21 of the OHS Act? What's that all about?

Hmmm, let's have a look, shall we?

s.21(1) An employer must, so far as is reasonably practicable, provide and maintain for employees of the employer a working environment that is safe and without risks to health.

So is a breach of that section a civil breach, or a criminal breach, or what?

Oh lookee here:

s.21(4) An offence against subsection (1) is an indictable offence.

What's that? Indictable offence? Why, that's a criminal offence. Other examples of indictable offences include murder, rape and arson. Hey, it's the most serious type of criminal offence. Granted, the punishment for those crimes is usually jail time whereas the punishment for this crime is a great whacking fine, but, let's not let that get in the way of pointing out that...

The *Essendon *Football *Club just got charged with a criminal offence.

I can't decide whether to laugh, laugh some more, or shake my head slowly in disgust (before bursting out laughing).

News worthy of a thread title change.
This!
How about: Sympathy for *essendon - Worksafe decides: Danger - Do Not Enter

u8gNzV2.png

The first thought that came to mind for me was "about bloody time". It was pretty bloody obvious *they had failed to provide a safe workplace when *they ran with that whole "we injected drugs into our players but we're not 100% sure what they were" line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think this means a whole lot for individual law suits. Although players will have a case, without proving any actual negative health impacts they suffered, they won't receive a whole lot of damages.

But don't let that rain on the sympathy parade. There are many other reasons why this is bad for Essendon. The sheer ugliness of having multiple former players suing the club would be a spectacle, and it would seriously hurt the already tarnished image of the club.

Players have great grounds for claiming breach of contract if Essendon accept the charges, and even use the threat of doing so as a way to extort bigger contracts. A club whose own employees have them over a barrel is not a healthy club.

Tragic, really. My sympathies once again to brave *.

This relates to 2 current threads.
My mrs at 10pm last night when this story was broadcast on ch 500:
"What the ****? Jason ******* akermanis?? **** this that settles it. I'm 100% North Melbourne next year. For ****s sake."
Freed from the bonds of donialism. Welcome aboard Mrs Peanut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back