Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon - congratulations on '16 Wooden Spoon (RIP The Scales)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Without reading the story I'm gonna assume this is a * lawyer ....

I thought the government amended the ASADA Act to give ASADA more power to compel athletes to answer questions and provide documantation in relation to drugs.

What were the specific charges? Does this in anyway hurt their chances of defending against WADA?

I mean they've admitted what they did was unsafe by accepting the charges, surely that hurts their case?

What were the specific charges? Does this in anyway hurt their chances of defending against WADA?

I mean they've admitted what they did was unsafe by accepting the charges, surely that hurts their case?

The charges relate to maintaining an unsafe workplace. It relates more to the way they conducted their injection program rather than the actual drugs injected (most of which were not banned - well if you believe * none of them were banned despite them not being able to say what drugs were given to who).

It won't impact on WADA's case - it's not in dispute that * ran a very very poor injection program. The only issue for WADA to address is whether any of those drugs they were injecting were banned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt they would've plead guilty without first having a full understanding of the ramifications. Are plea deals commonplace in such matters? Perhaps they also felt there was little hope of defending said charges successfully.

Now for the punishment, which would shirley be a fine, and the WADA stuff.

I doubt they would've plead guilty without first having a full understanding of the ramifications. Are plea deals commonplace in such matters? Perhaps they also felt there was little hope of defending said charges successfully.

Now for the punishment, which would shirley be a fine, and the WADA stuff.

I daresay that (a) they were gorrrrn, so not pointing fighting it, (b) the earlier you plead guilty the more favourably you are looked upon come punishment time, and (c) if there is any scope to negotiating some kind of deal with the prosecution, they wouldn't even start talking to you until you had actually pleaded guilty.

I daresay that (a) they were gorrrrn, so not pointing fighting it, (b) the earlier you plead guilty the more favourably you are looked upon come punishment time, and (c) if there is any scope to negotiating some kind of deal with the prosecution, they wouldn't even start talking to you until you had actually pleaded guilty.

Right, as I suspected. Thanks astrovic. :thumbsu:

*if you're anything like my own personal lawyers you'll be halfway through instructing your legal secretary to forward me an itemised invoice by now. :cool:

Here's The Age's story on today's news:

Essendon supplements saga: Bombers will admit OH&S failure
Date November 30, 2015 - 11:16AM

Tammy Mills

Essendon Football Club will plead guilty to two charges of risking its players' health and failing to provide a safe working environment over its supplements program, a court heard on Monday.

In a short hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court, the club's lawyer Garry Livermore said they would enter a formal plea to two charges of breaching the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

Court documents released to the media on Monday stated the club's supplement program, between December 2011 to 15 January, 2012 and 15 January to September, 2012, exposed its players to risks to their health and safety and failed to provide a safe working environment.

1448842639240.jpg

James Hird, right, as he announces his retirement. Photo: Getty Images

The charge sheets stated that the club failed to comply to the following in order to reduce risk to its players:

• Provide the club doctor with a summary of literature about the supplement that included the scientific and common name, all clinical findings both positive and negative, known or potential side-effects and a statement saying it did not contravene any World Anti-Doping Authority guidelines.
  • The club doctor failed to make a recommendation about the suitability of the substance for the players.
  • The players were not given a letter of informed consent to sign by the club doctor if they were recommended to use the substance.
Magistrate Peter Reardon adjourned the case until 10am on December 22. At this hearing, the club will formally enter its guilty plea.

The maximum penalty for the offences under section 21 (1) and (2) (a) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 is a fine of $305,350.

WorkSafe was represented by prosecutor Andrew Palmer in Monday's proceedings.

Representatives for the club were present in court.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-in-court-20151129-glb5v0.html#ixzz3swTF2kkD

*if you're anything like my own personal lawyers you'll be halfway through instructing your legal secretary to forward me an itemised invoice by now. :cool:

In this thread, I take my lead from *Sir James of Hird - my services are pro boner (for days on end)

The charge sheets stated that the club failed to comply to the following in order to reduce risk to its players:
  • Provide the club doctor with a summary of literature about the supplement that included the scientific and common name, all clinical findings both positive and negative, known or potential side-effects and a statement saying it did not contravene any World Anti-Doping Authority guidelines.
  • The club doctor failed to make a recommendation about the suitability of the substance for the players.
  • The players were not given a letter of informed consent to sign by the club doctor if they were recommended to use the substance.

How.......how......HOW on earth has Reid remained teflon in all this.....??

1448842639240.jpg

At least they got James' good side.

Tammy Mills

Essendon Football Club will plead guilty to two charges of risking its players' health and failing to provide a safe working environment over its supplements program, a court heard on Monday.

In a short hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court, the club's lawyer Garry Livermore said they would enter a formal plea to two charges of breaching the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

Court documents released to the media on Monday stated the club's supplement program, between December 2011 to 15 January, 2012 and 15 January to September, 2012, exposed its players to risks to their health and safety and failed to provide a safe working environment.

1448842639240.jpg

Magistrate Peter Reardon adjourned the case until 10am on December 22. At this hearing, the club will formally enter its guilty plea.

The maximum penalty for the offences under section 21 (1) and (2) (a) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 is a fine of $305,350.

WorkSafe was represented by prosecutor Andrew Palmer in Monday's proceedings.

Representatives for the club were present in court.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-in-court-20151129-glb5v0.html#ixzz3swTF2kkD
No doubt there are a heap of player's lawyers planning their Sorrento extensions after this :)

No doubt there are a heap of player's lawyers planning their Sorrento extensions after this :)
Reminds me of a conversation I had with a partner from the law firm that I regularly instruct when he was telling me about the house he'd just bought on the peninsula with a lovely indoor pool. When he saw the look of shock/disgust on my face and realised that conversation about reducing his firm's fees was about to occur, he quickly back-pedalled by saying "I wasn't actually looking for a place with an indoor pool". Apparently they're just throwing them in with over-priced lawyers' beach houses these days.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a partner from the law firm that I regularly instruct when he was telling me about the house he'd just bought on the peninsula with a lovely indoor pool. When he saw the look of shock/disgust on my face and realised that conversation about reducing his firm's fees was about to occur, he quickly back-pedalled by saying "I wasn't actually looking for a place with an indoor pool". Apparently they're just throwing them in with over-priced lawyers' beach houses these days.

Opposite my folks' place in Kew lives a QC and his family. Recently when I popped over to see the folks I noticed my dad and the QC having a chat in his expansive driveway. Having never visited the place before I couldn't believe the size of the house and manicured gardens, nor the number of staff tending to the plants, pool and lawns at the time. He told me his rates bill for the property was $16k before tossing me a set of keys to check out his latest Ferrari sitting idle in his five car garage. Bloody hell, how the other (much better earning) half live!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back