Certified Legendary Thread Sympathy for *essendon - congratulations on '16 Wooden Spoon (RIP The Scales)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL Players’ Association can confirm the players’ lawyers have received amended show cause notices from ASADA, containing a summary of the evidence in respect of each player.

The players’ legal team will review the material in the coming days and discuss the contents with players, to determine what response, if any, they will provide in respect to these amended show cause notices.

Richard Ings ‏@ringsau
ASADA not only has put out a statement on its amended AFL notices but headlined it online simultaneously.

B0IJw31CMAAIHJe.jpg

Standard public service procedure is for 'bad news' to be dished out on a Friday afternoon. Gives person getting sacked, charged time to really stew on it over the weekend.....and gives us some cheap laughs and entertainment to amuse ourselves with. Go ASADA Go.

I call the Friday arvo salvo a "hand grenade"...pull the pin, chuck em over the barricades and relax over the weekend while they deal with their dead.

Rines, always good for a laugh. That crack pipe will be getting a work out tonight.

"The HUN article now mentioning that AFL might refuse to issue IN.. and ASADA then forced to take it to CAS... did I miss something or is that an option?

That would be really interesting.. if AFL refused to prosecute and it all ended up at CAS.. I actually think that would benefit the players.. CAS is very independent and will want the proof to be bullet proof.."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What amazes me about * is the deeply inbred sense of arrogance.

Collingwood were like that, but they choked like no other for 32 years and hit financial hard times in the 90s, so they aren't as bad as they once were (Eddie withstanding).

Carlton were like that, but got caught cheating big time, won a swag of spoons, sacked coaches here are there, got massively in debt thanks to a white elephant at Princes Park, and still have a fairly crap list, so they aren't as bad as they once were.

The only other club that could be compared is West Coast, but I don't know them well enough, and they've had to deal with the Cousins and co. drug saga, Judd leaving in his peak, Fletcher almost dying in Vegas, a spoon, and still a fairly average list, so perhaps not as bad as they once were.

Maybe, just maybe, the fact the *board chose not to appeal the Court decision means they've come to the realisation their hubris ain't gonna save them no matter how hard they try. A whack from ASADA, Worksafe, the AFL (already), Paddy walking out, potentially others, the EGM and a chance of blood hitting the pavement, and a massive debt from this saga may just whack them down the arrogance totem pole by a rung or two.

*They need to deal with the infraction notices and everything that comes along for the ride. And they need to cut *Hird loose. Until *they do it's going to be a slow, painful experience even after ASADA have done their job.

Catharsis will only occur for the penitent. I'm not convinced in any way *they are.

Last edited:
All I can say at this early stage is "Well played by ASADA". Clearly they have been monitoring the activity on this board, waiting for the trading period to end, before issuing the show cause notices. They want us to join them in enjoying the fun ahead.

Very good times ahead. Much renewed *sympathy for *essendon here in Horace's haven. :D

Very good times ahead. Much renewed *sympathy for *essendon here in Horace's haven. :D
You have more optimism than I.

Have the feeling there will either be backdated penalties and they miss a few games through a 'deal', or the AFL tribunal impose a similar sanction. The person who heads the tribunal is none other than the same guy who represented the players in the federal court.

They should get the full 2 years.

You have more optimism than I.

Have the feeling there will either be backdated penalties and they miss a few games through a 'deal', or the AFL tribunal impose a similar sanction. The person who heads the tribunal is none other than the same guy who represented the players in the federal court.

They should get the full 2 years.
Mark my words. The players won't miss a game. The bans will be backdated/suspended so that they are good to go round 1 next year.

The thing is, I have no idea what the players can do. Their line all along has been, "we don't know what we took so there's no way you can know what we took", and the asada came out and said, "you have to provide proof that you didn't take anything banned" so now they are s**t Creek without a canoe.
Despite it being handy, placing the burden of proof on players to prove their innocence is pretty stupid Imo, it opens up the door for something like this being misused down the track.

twoo yeaaaaars, two years
two years two years
two years,
two years, two yeaaaaars.

People keep bringing up this two years as though it is somehow relevant. You do realise that as soon as the fireworks end and we tip over to 2015, the new WADA code will call for four year bans. So nice of * and the idiot boy* to delay proceedings to ensure that sentencing will be set some time in January. Sympathy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back