FREMANTLE v ADELAIDE

Fremantle
B: Alex Silvagni, Chris Tarrant, Garrick Ibbotson
HB: Greg Broughton, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: Anthony Morabito, David Mundy, Adam McPhee
HF: Michael Johnson, Matthew Pavlich, Stephen Hill
F: Jay van Berlo, Chris Mayne, Hayden Ballantyne
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Michael Barlow, Paul Duffield
I/C (from): Des Headland, Nick Suban, Steven Dodd, Byron Schammer, Kepler Bradley, Paul Hasleby, Ryan Crowley

New: Michael Barlow (Werribee), Anthony Morabito (Peel Thunder), Alex Silvagni (Casey)

I don't reckon VB will play.

I hope Balla does but he needs to respect his opponent, probably Johncock. He is their Genius that is Roger. He's getting on a bit and a lot of angry ant shenanigans coupled with solid defensive work will go a long way to helping our cause.

I'd be tempted to put Johnson in a back pocket and leave Son or nephew or whatever of Silvagni out. Good to cover the other talls with someone who needs to prove something. Slot Des on the HFF.

Then leave out Dodd and keep the rest of the bench.

Will give it a very big shake.

The only thing I notice is that our most experienced in-and-under players are on the interchange in Haselby and Schammer.

One of those 2 will be in the side if for nothing else but being thrown into the middle to get the ball out.

So much for Harvs naming all the experienced players...

Definitely 2-3 changes just before the game.

Hope Suban plays. Hard to see Kepler missing as we need the backup ruckman and Johnson won't play that role

Sorry KPR, I was unclear. I meant SNOS is in, so Dodd is out.

We have plenty of options down back, send Dodd to East Freo unless we get an injury or someone struggles for form.

Dodd has been named for East Fremantle so he is out:
http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/teams/1823-2010-round-2-east-fremantle-v-east-perth

The Claremont v South Fremantle teams are yet to be announced but I reckon that Schammer might be named which would rule him out. I would expect that Subun, Crowley and Hedland are the ones fighting for a spot and wont be named in the WAFL teams.

With the choices on the bench I hope we play Suban, Haselby, Crowley and Headland (I don't rate him but he is the better then Bradley, Schammer and Dodd). Personally I dont understand why we wouldn't play Suban or Haselby unless they are injured. Our side isn't to bad on paper a couple of holes but When Rhys comes back that will fill one of them. Wouldn't be surprised if Fyfe gets a run if he keeps up his WAFL form.

Hope Suban plays. Hard to see Kepler missing as we need the backup ruckman and Johnson won't play that role

Yep I agree, I think it will/should be Suban, Hasleby, Bradley and Crowley on the bench, although I'd start Hase in the centre square.

^^^ Close. I think Headland might get the nod over Crowley, always seems to snag a couple playing close to goal. Crowley needs some WAFL to work on his game. I think VB will play as a defensive forward on Johncock.
Overall good team. I like it.

Yeah I'm pretty pleased with that line up as well. Good to see some new faces in Barlow, Snos and Mora get a go along with JVB as well. Hoping the bench will be Hase, Suban, Crowley (need tagging prowess i think for Vince or Thompson) Kepler (need a back up ruck and have no other option).

Lets hope the boys give it their all and take it right up to the crows. I think it will be close but am not as confient as most on here. Overall much stronger team than we have put out in the last few seasons imo as those middle tier players (Dodd, Schammer, Headland, Crowley etc) are now really battling for spots and definately not walk up starts.

Some people aren't including Bradley, but I think he is the biggest certainty out of that bench. It seems clear to me that Johnson will not be played in the ruck, as such Bradley would surely play. You simply can't make Sandilands ruck for 100% of the game.

I dont think Sandi will ruck all game. Last year Johnno was doing well as the back up ruckman, and has shown can go forward and kick a goal (minus that terrible shot against the Roo's). I have not seen much of the pre season so I am happy to be corrected if Kep's is a worthy in.

I don't think Kepler is a worthy in, its just that there is nobody else. If they want to play Johnson as backup ruck then I'm happy with that ... but I don't think that is what the coaching staff want. All pre-season it was Clarke vs Bradley and I don't recall Johnson at any stage playing in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Kepler is a worthy in, its just that there is nobody else. If they want to play Johnson as backup ruck then I'm happy with that ... but I don't think that is what the coaching staff want. All pre-season it was Clarke vs Bradley and I don't recall Johnson at any stage playing in the ruck.

This.

That's why I think both Bradley and Crowley will be in as role players, backup ruck and tagging respectively, despite indifferent pre-season form.

We need someone to run with Vince or Thompson.

while johnson may have played the role of backup ruckman reasonably well in the past. i think his real value will be in the forwardline, taking some pressure off pav. playing him in the ruck would be robbing peter to pay paul. also. bradley may not be in the greatest of form, but i still think his best backup ruckman efforts would have matched those of johnson's he just seems to find goals, when playing that role. im not too disappointed that he is playing, would be nice if zack gets some early form up though and claims the backup role for his own

I think injuries may dictate the starting bench.
I get the feeling Harvey has listed some senior players on the bench that he has no intention of playing just for the sake of keeping Neil Craig guessing.

Kepler must come in. Johnson is a capable back-up ruckman, but it is not worth ricking his ankles in the ruck as he returns from injury. Thus Hipless is our only other ruck option.
Crowley has still not returned to his best form since doing his ankle. He looked a few yards off the pace in the pre-season and so I think Harvey will give him a week at WAFL level to get some match fitness.
Dodd, like Crowley, is still not back to 100%. with SCOS available for elevation there is no need to rush Dodd back so he can find some form with the Might Sharks.

That leaves 3 from: Hase, Suban, Headland and Schammer.

Headland has been talked up all pre-season as part of the "new look forard line" so I'd say he's locked in.
With Crowley and De Boer on the sidelines; Schammer is the next best tagger, I would think. He may be selected depending on match-ups.
Suban is a must. He is the future of this football club and he needs the experience.
That leaves poor old Hase. Hase is a proven champion, and tends to play his best in 'Big Games'. I'd say he might be dropped is Schammer is brought in as a tagger.
Barlow may have stolen Hase's role as ball-magnet.

In summary,
I: Bradley, Headland, Suban, Schammer

I tihnk you're kidding yourself suggesting Hase will be dropped, who is going to win the ball, pray tell?

I dont think Sandi will ruck all game. Last year Johnno was doing well as the back up ruckman, and has shown can go forward and kick a goal (minus that terrible shot against the Roo's). I have not seen much of the pre season so I am happy to be corrected if Kep's is a worthy in.

Johnson WILL NOT play ruck because of his previous ankle injuries in the role. Fremantle has already come out and said that. He is going to play as a marking forward or swing back and help in defense if things get hectic.

Int: Bradley - will be used at back up ruck to allow big bird to drift forward
Headland- because he can kick goes at subi
Suban - should be in first 18 with VB on bench
Haze- best read of the ball at centreboundowns we have just and is the best handballer at club

Crowley - back to subi to play a more attascking role - unless you can create as atagger your history in 2010

Scahmmer- two many young guns have passed him

Dodd- is only useful as a negating backman, however even negating backmen get the ball sometimes and have to create - this is his downfall has no idea.

Interchange should be:
Bradley - we need a second ruck, it is a long season for Sandi.
Suban - must be played, great last year and pre-season is for fitness only.
Hase - class player will demand opposition attention and release other mids. Best clearance player - which we still lack.
Headland/Schammer tossup?? - Des looks unfit, Schammer gets the ball but don't let him kick it. down to whether we need a fwd or a mid.
Out
Crowley - hinted by Harvs that taggers need to be creative. Abysmal skills and awareness. JVB has his spot in this game and DeBoer in the future.
Dodd - borderline now and also recovering from injury.

One thing i am concerned about for Sunday is the lift in intensity from pre-season to regular season games. Saw it in the RichvCarl game. The game is as fast as ever and we have plenty of first gamers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back