The 2015 SANFL Crows thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Warren Gray on channel 9 just reported the SANFL clubs want to limit the crows and power to a maximum of 14 AFL listed playersw every week.

Why not just make us tie one arm behind our back and kick with out non dominate foot every touch?

If this happens, I will stop going as often as as I can as like most people, I want too see my team win and we may as well just give up and not waste our time playing every week as we will just not compete.

Plus they want Port Power to stop playing home gamews at Alberton. The commission will vote on this after the grand final.
The rules, top up players etc are such a joke.

If its so unfair on other clubs, make us and port play for no points, but dont limit the ability to develop players.

ITS THE WHOLE BLOODY POINT OF HAVING THE SIDE!

Warren Gary on channel 9 just reported the SANFL clubs want to limit the crows and power to a maximum of 14 AFL listed playersw every week.

Why not just make us tie one arm behind our back and kick with out non dominate foot every touch?

If this happens, I will stop going as often as as I can as like most people, I want too see my team win and we may as well just give up and not waste our time playing every week as we will just not compete.

Plus they want Port Power to stop playing home gamews at Alberton. The commission will vote on this after the grand final.
So lets say both clubs have no injuries, thats 10 players who miss out every weekend.

How many flags have the AFL sides won in either league in the last 2 years ?? Hell we haven't even made the 5 and Port got dumped in straight sets due to the stupid rules regarding finals availability.

I've had a gutful of seeing my SANFL team lose to Power reserves in particular when they have up to 18 AFL listed players plus proven SANFL guns such as Summerton as well though.

I think Norwood have beaten Port the last 5 times they played. Pity they lost to pretty much everyone else this year.

The rules, top up players etc are such a joke.

If its so unfair on other clubs, make us and port play for no points, but dont limit the ability to develop players.

ITS THE WHOLE BLOODY POINT OF HAVING THE SIDE!
Agree with this, the no brainer is that both reserves teams don't play finals, then it allows them to play whatever and whoever they want. All this tinkering is just bulls***.
-No salary cap, no finals.
If this was the model, Adelaide and Power reserves could be assure each other of games for their excess players during an AFL finals campaign by playing each other. At the moment Adelaide's excess players don't get a run. Surely it's not in their best interests.

So lets say both clubs have no injuries, thats 10 players who miss out every weekend.

How many flags have the AFL sides won in either league in the last 2 years ?? Hell we haven't even made the 5 and Port got dumped in straight sets due to the stupid rules regarding finals availability.
No, Port weren't good enough. Nothing to do with availability rules.

Thats not what they said........ I agree with you however.

That's even more reason to leave it IMO.

Of course they're going to look for excuses. Have a look at the game day thread on their board, some people on that thread need serious help before they hurt someone.

Jeez, the only one that they tried to fudge in was Sam Gray. If half a dozen very good AFL footballers and another half dozen fringe AFL footballers aren't enough to help you win a game in the SANFL then they're lacking ticker.......
:0

Sanfl want what's best for their clubs, they think that the afl reserves sides compromise their comp. Their egos do not like being a reserves comp, they want to be he 2nd best comp in the nation. And that's their choice to make.

As i said when Trigg made this deal, it sucked, we should use the 300k per season to field a side in the vfl and finally get out of the ******* sanfl.

We can't wear our crows jumpers, we can't have a home game, we can't have past players in the team.

Moving to the vfl should hasten the arrival of the afl reserves comp.

How long are we committed for?

Just wait for the bleating when SANFL players choose to play in the Crows/Power reserves teams in the VFL because they think they're a better chance of being drafted from there.

"Can we bring in a rule to stop them?"

"Make them pay more money!"

Sorry. Out of your jurisdiction now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long are we committed for?

Just wait for the bleating when SANFL players choose to play in the Crows/Power reserves teams in the VFL because they think they're a better chance of being drafted from there.

"Can we bring in a rule to stop them?"

"Make them pay more money!"

Sorry. Out of your jurisdiction now.

The sooner the Crows and Power sides join the VFL the better. Home games can be played as AFL curtain raisers. Or if Port wish at Alberton. What is the point of our Reserves teams if we can not field every availiable AFL listed player in them each week. How many times this year did we have 14 AFL listed players in our team anyway? I would bet not that often.

I felt the rules were about right this year. The only player harshly done by is Sam Gray who came up through their juniors so it can be argued has a right to play in an SANFL Final. The one game difference in eligibility for him was a game missed due to Walshy's passing. Port went out in straight sets anyway.

From what I saw AFL listed players such as Mitch Harvey, Andrew Moore, Colhoon (unsure on spelling/don't care) and even Kane Michell struggled against Westies and Centrals anyway.

Tend to think the bigger issue for the SANFL clubs is having Port play all games away. Gives the other 8 clubs an extra home game and thus revenue. But that does not affect us so who cares.

Last edited:
If we both joined the VFL we could

- Play all our AFL reserve players in the side.
- Both host home games.
- Both pay our top up players properly.
- Be able to recruit top up players from wherever.
- Have no influence from the SANFL.
- Play against a higher level of opponents.

Would be absurd if we are restricted to a max of 14 afl listed players for our reserves team, but it is the sanfl so absurdity is how they roll.
Be a massive waste of time as it's about developing all the group together so they all learn our style - our great injury run this year probably made it worse for the SANFL but stuff that, not worth playing in the comp if they were to enforce that sort of crap.

Sanfl want what's best for their clubs, they think that the afl reserves sides compromise their comp. Their egos do not like being a reserves comp, they want to be he 2nd best comp in the nation. And that's their choice to make.

As i said when Trigg made this deal, it sucked, we should use the 300k per season to field a side in the vfl and finally get out of the ******* sanfl.

We can't wear our crows jumpers, we can't have a home game, we can't have past players in the team.

Moving to the vfl should hasten the arrival of the afl reserves comp.
If we both joined the VFL we could

- Play all our AFL reserve players in the side.
- Both host home games.
- Both pay our top up players properly.
- Be able to recruit top up players from wherever.
- Have no influence from the SANFL.
- Play against a higher level of opponents.

Both these are perfect!! I did an assignment last year at school making this point that I'd rather a second tier league with all the AFL clubs have their reserves playing in the one league. With the salary cap supposed to go up to $18 million when the new TV rights deal comes in why can't teams add another 6-8 players to their lists so top up players aren't a factor anymore?

Not always but would be great to have the reserves lads playing before the AFL match in a curtain raiser say between Adelaide and Hawthorn. Why doesn't the AFL seriously get this happening?

Time to leave the SANFL in the lurch, see how they go without the $1 MILLION (I Think) that both clubs pay each year. I love the Norwood FC as much as I do the Crows but to only play 14 players is a disgrace (if more players are available).

Time to join the VFL - it would be awesome to play curtain raisers at Adelaide Oval before a AFL game, will be great to see the younger players in action

Would be absurd if we are restricted to a max of 14 afl listed players for our reserves team, but it is the sanfl so absurdity is how they roll.

Its also a way of limiting how many AFL players actually qualify for the finals. You'd have to use a rotation system and theres a chance 2-3-4 players may end up not qualifying when normally they would, meaning the side is gutted come finals time and its essentially a reserves team out there.

Time to leave the SANFL in the lurch, see how they go without the $1 MILLION (I Think) that both clubs pay each year. I love the Norwood FC as much as I do the Crows but to only play 14 players is a disgrace (if more players are available).

Time to join the VFL - it would be awesome to play curtain raisers at Adelaide Oval before a AFL game, will be great to see the younger players in action

I think the Crows pay $400,000 plus their home game is played at the SANFL club, thus giving the SANFL club some extra $.
Port Power pay $zero and retain proceeds of their home games at Alberton.

I think the Crows pay $400,000 plus their home game is played at the SANFL club, thus giving the SANFL club some extra $.

Plus they create additional revenue through a Magpies membership. Only top tier Power memberships have access to their SANFL games.

Yes I think you are right on the $400k. I remember posting when this deal was done that the $400k would pay for the reserves team playing in the VFL.

30 return flights per week @$250 = $7,500
15 rooms for 1 night @$150 = $2,250
30 lots of meals/drink @$100 = $3,000

For a total per round of $12,750
For the 22 round season $280,500

So we would be financially infront, would also be able to play home games, wear our own jumper, have as many past players in our reserves as we want etc

Ahhhhh, Trigg you are the gift that keeps giving - thankyou very ******* much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back