The Ben Mcevoy trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Unfortunately the more I see the more I feel this trade has paid off more favourably for St Kilda. I completely understand why why we gave up so much for Macca. With Baileys premature retirement and the first option of luring Mumford falling through, we desperately needed a big bodied proven ruckmen whilst we were still in our premiership window.

Problem is I always loved Luke Dunstan pre draft and felt that he was exactly the big bodied mid we needed. I've always loved Lenny Hayes so it's ironic that Dunstan looks to be a ready made replacement for the champ. He was absolutely sensational yesterday and I kept wondering how great he would look in hawthorn colours. With the unexpected rise of John Ceglar, and Luke Lowden showing something, We really do need Hawthorn to win the flag to justify this trade. With our picks 18 and 19, St Kilda got Dunston - gun, Blake Acres who apparently looks very promising and of course Savage. Sav finally showed what he has got yesterday playing off a half back flank.

We got Mcevoy of course, who I like but reality is he is very average in the centre, slow as a treacle and a bit injury prone. We also got Billy Hartung who looks very likely but again had we not traded we still would have got Dunstan - instant impact in the midfield AND Hartung potential gun who needs a bit mote time. In the ruck department we could have gone with Hale, Ceglar and Lowden. Savage of course would have stayed on the list.

Like I said we were desperate to get Mckevoy but unfortunately St Kilda had us over the barrel and we paid overs me thinks....

I really love the way Dunstan goes about it and would love him at the Hawks but are you sure the Hawks would have picked him up with their pick.

Maybe they got exactly what they wanted in Hartung.

Also we haven't seen the best of Big Boy yet for the Hawks. I think he is a great pickup and we will be rewarded during the finals when big bodies are required.

If you look at the trade at the time it was a good trade, no one would of foreseen the rise in Cegs and to an extent Lowden.

Also like many have said, would savage be getting a game at the moment? or would he have left the end of this year to another team for more opportunities...Whilst we haven't seen the best of Big Boy you have to keep in mind, he hasn't had the best lead up so far with injuries/lack of fitness.

Ceglar's rise is the only problem, I think we probably play Ceglar and Hale quite easily, or Ceglar and Lowden.

Happy with Hatung as a first rounder, has lots of upside.

If if's and but's were cherry and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. Or in this case, we'd have every Brownlow medal winner. Ever.

But in all seriousness, never conduct an AFL Draft in hindsight. Every team will think they could have improved in some way. We did well - we covered a hole in our ruck (no one could have foreseen Cegs rise in stocks, Pies especially), gained yet more run through our mid in Hartung and gained good trade currency in moving on Savage who was excess to our needs.

Pretty solid trade period. Plus, factor in our trade in two years time when we grab Dunstan after contract expiry, and I'd say that's a job well done ;)

Last edited:
McEvoy is highly rated in the club as a potential leader. This year has been injury prone, so we haven't seen the best of him. Great to think that a trade most of us thought was a master stroke is now viewed a little differently because of the rise of Ceglar. Had he not emerged as a good/very good player this year this thread would be irrelevant.

With the rise of Cegs and the fall of Hale, Mcevoy seems to have found his place. I think he'll grow into the role from here, so we have done well out of the trade. It's a win-win situation, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately the more I see the more I feel this trade has paid off more favourably for St Kilda. I completely understand why why we gave up so much for Macca. With Baileys premature retirement and the first option of luring Mumford falling through, we desperately needed a big bodied proven ruckmen whilst we were still in our premiership window.

Problem is I always loved Luke Dunstan pre draft and felt that he was exactly the big bodied mid we needed. I've always loved Lenny Hayes so it's ironic that Dunstan looks to be a ready made replacement for the champ. He was absolutely sensational yesterday and I kept wondering how great he would look in hawthorn colours. With the unexpected rise of John Ceglar, and Luke Lowden showing something, We really do need Hawthorn to win the flag to justify this trade. With our picks 18 and 19, St Kilda got Dunston - gun, Blake Acres who apparently looks very promising and of course Savage. Sav finally showed what he has got yesterday playing off a half back flank.

We got Mcevoy of course, who I like but reality is he is very average in the centre, slow as a treacle and a bit injury prone. We also got Billy Hartung who looks very likely but again had we not traded we still would have got Dunstan - instant impact in the midfield AND Hartung potential gun who needs a bit mote time. In the ruck department we could have gone with Hale, Ceglar and Lowden. Savage of course would have stayed on the list.

Like I said we were desperate to get Mckevoy but unfortunately St Kilda had us over the barrel and we paid overs me thinks....

Did you say that before the Saints v Freo game?
One fluke game doesn't mean it's all changed for the better.

You may not say it after the next Saints game when they go back to being crap!

Yeh let's forget about winning the flag while are the best side in the competition and focus on having some promising kids and and maybe being a contender one day.

The obsession of some posters with youth and the future over the here and now is quite bemusing. People are talking about trading for pick 1 ffs!

You can't include Dunstan and Acres without including Hartung and Sicily.

Hartung looks like he could be something special. Excellent debut game huge tank, will be important particularly if they further reduce interchange which is likely.

Sicily sounds promising from BH reports. I'm happy for Hawks to throw a decent pick at a ruckman who can play 100+ games for us and I think McEvoy can. Saves us wasting a s**t load of picks in the future like we have previously for little to no reward.

Re Cegs, it's great that he's been playing well of late, but I think a sample size of more than 1-2 months is required to make a proper judgement.

Still shattered we couldn't get Mumford. Imagine Mumford and Cegs as our current rucks.

Oh boy. Wowee.

only time will tell

McEvoy gives us a solid Ruck for the next 8-10 years, Hartung rounds off our squadron of speedy mids and Sicily was an absolute steal

Dunstan and Acres are talented kids, the saints did well

i still say win-win for both sides

still not fussed about losing savage, his form always fluctuated to much and its only the last couple weeks he has been finding some form , he is still a front runner and when the game was in the balance he would always go missing, dunstan is a gun would of loved to get him but who knows who hawks had lined up for pick 18 if we still had it could of easily still been billy, also dunstans scope for improvement might be very minimal on what he is producing so far he came into the system with the body and the game style to make an impact instantly, i think in 5 years we will know who the winner is but atm I'm pretty happy with macca and billy

Did you say that before the Saints v Freo game?
One fluke game doesn't mean it's all changed for the better.

You may not say it after the next Saints game when they go back to being crap!
You mustn't watch much of Dunstan. Kid is a monster. Almost always amongst if not is St Kilda's best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back