The 'Carbon Tax' is the same as the GST

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is, we have spent way more than we have earned and have a massive debt to repay. We have two choices:
- cut spending; or
- raise taxes
Or option 3: Collect the tax we're actually owed and pursue tax avoidance properly ;)

Spending is actually low by OECD standards - we've effectively got universal healthcare for a similar % GDP spend as the US. There is of course room for improvement but we are generally a moderately low taxing, lower spending country (unless you're mega rich in which you generally don't pay tax)

The issue isn't so much debt as it stands, but reducing the structural issues in 10, 15, 20 years time - issue neither side of government looks likely to tackle in their current race to the bottom. Retirement planning is huge - super concessions are close to our entire pension spend and look set to overtake pensions within the next decade, yet overwhelmingly favour the top 10% of earners. The balance between encouraging people to fund their own retirement vs accountants being able to reduce taxable income for top income earners who would be self-funded anyway doesn't seem to be correct ATM.

The issue isn't so much debt as it stands, but reducing the structural issues in 10, 15, 20 years time - issue neither side of government looks likely to tackle in their current race to the bottom.

Speaking of the Carbon Tax.

An example of what Mofra is talking about. Earlier this year the Federal Government felt forced to rule out a policy option in Education it hadn't even considered yet contained in a report that was commissioned with the specific remit of including "outside-the-box" policy options.

Do not underestimate the effect the use of social media, with it's 140 characters, memes and vines, are having on the level of public discourse in this country.

On the other hand, Bronwyn Bishop helicopter memes are funny. ;)

I don't think that there is any argument that could be made against some substantial need for structural reform, but the tone for the debate was set by the hysterical scaremongering of this government in opposition. The Greens, and the ALP have played their part by blocking in the Senate, but to hear the PM complain about scare campaigns yesterday was jaw dropping in it's audacity, he is reaping what he sowed.

Hahaha

Two posts by you, minutes apart...
One you disparage the IMF findings because it's the IMF, the other you defend the IPA and want the content discussed, not the source.

Content is important for one but not the other?!?

Oh lebbo, you're such a fool!
What is it with posters that know you have them on ignore but still respond to your posts?
Wasn't logged in and happened to see that Lebbo73 misses me.

What is it with posters that know you have them on ignore but still respond to your posts?
Wasn't logged in and happened to see that Lebbo73 misses me.
Don't miss you at all. Would really prefer if you left here actually. However, if you continue to post untruths, I will respond, whether I am on ignore or not.

Internet goods. (Digital downloads)
Soon to be all internet purchases
It will be interesting to see if that works it's all dependent on Amazon or whoever agreeing to do it. The uk can do this because amazon are inside the eu as an entity and the eu is a huge market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't miss you at all. Would really prefer if you left here actually. However, if you continue to post untruths, I will respond, whether I am on ignore or not.
If you are saying that the IPA is the conveyor of truth, then you are sillier than I thought you were.
How are those one sentence (sometimes incomplete) posts going?

Isn't it for all internet purchases from outside Australia, e.g. clothing, books, etc?
Correct but as I said the onus will be on the foreign website charging the gst and then handing over to the ato.
Stopping every parcel at the border and Australia post collecting the gst will cost far more than it collects.

There is also the loophole that linkedin and others use where you put an add for an Australian add for an australia employee and it all goes through Ireland no gst no income tax. Short on banning them through ISPs I don't want else they can do

All these free trade agreement will probably not allow them to do anything meaningful anyway.

Does a scare campaign against pricing carbon/ETS/carbon tax have the legs to go around a second time? Nobody experienced any huge price rises when it was introduced under the previous government, and nobody has seen any corresponding drop on it's repeal. It is possible that the out, and out scare mongering on this issue has run it's course, time will tell I guess.

Correct but as I said the onus will be on the foreign website charging the gst and then handing over to the ato.
Stopping every parcel at the border and Australia post collecting the gst will cost far more than it collects.

There is also the loophole that linkedin and others use where you put an add for an Australian add for an australia employee and it all goes through Ireland no gst no income tax. Short on banning them through ISPs I don't want else they can do

All these free trade agreement will probably not allow them to do anything meaningful anyway.
I thought it was going to be checked via credit card payments, seems State Premiers came to some agreement lat week.

Does a scare campaign against pricing carbon/ETS/carbon tax have the legs to go around a second time? Nobody experienced any huge price rises when it was introduced under the previous government, and nobody has seen any corresponding drop on it's repeal. It is possible that the out, and out scare mongering on this issue has run it's course, time will tell I guess.
Gough I actually believe in replacing coal powered stations other than global warming they are fairly unhealthy things to be around plush the fly ash is radioactive.

But an ets does nothing to close them. An eats that is much harsher that's what the eu has doesn't help the economy. Generally speaking it doesn't reduce emissions so why do it?

I thought it was going to be checked via credit card payments, seems State Premiers came to some agreement lat week.
how are they going to manage that? If it's foreign currency transaction then you hit all the legitimate is transactions like travel etc and 1/2 of the websites will let you pay in AUD anyway

The banks won't miss them either in trying to collect it . Also what about PayPal, preloaded cards etc.

Sounds like a plan they will say is too hard in a month or two

Emissions dropped, money was raised, and the economy continued to grow, that the previous carbon pricing scheme actually worked is the elephant in the room, and an ETS is certainly a better option than the dogs breakfast that is DA.
The first one is debateable

Internet goods. (Digital downloads)
Soon to be all internet purchases

out of interest, was that new legislation or just interpretation by the ATO that the goods and services were connected to Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back