The Dawes trade - still a sore point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Chris Dawes playing as well now as he ever did at his best for us, Broomhead needs to produce form that suggests we were not total losers in the deal with Melbourne. Dawes is even taking strong overhead marks, not to mention the leadership skills which have excited Melbourne supporters.

With Chris Dawes playing as well now as he ever did at his best for us, Broomhead needs to produce form that suggests we were not total losers in the deal with Melbourne. Dawes is even taking strong overhead marks, not to mention the leadership skills which have excited Melbourne supporters.
Mmm, total of five [yes, 5] marks in the win over the Crows - I don't think anyone needs to slit their wrists over that deal.

What are you on about? That trade was the epitome of win-win!

Dawes was stagnating with us big time and if we hadn't traded him when we did we now wouldn't have White and Dawes would not be playing the footy he is because he's relishing being the number 1 banana (a role that was never going to happen with us). For all we know Dawes could have been out of the system if he spent another few years with us!

Take your eyes off the immediate outcome, look at what was best for all parties and its clearly the best result possible. There is no need for Broomhead to produce yet when the senior line up is performing as it is (take Hawthorn as an example Hallahan had to win a Liston trophy before debuting) and to state otherwise is just impatient!

Dawes was stagnating with us big time and if we hadn't traded him when we did we now wouldn't have White and Dawes would not be playing the footy he is because he's relishing being the number 1 banana (a role that was never going to happen with us). For all we know Dawes could have been out of the system if he spent another few years with us!

Take your eyes off the immediate outcome, look at what was best for all parties and its clearly the best result possible. There is no need for Broomhead to produce yet when the senior line up is performing as it is (take Hawthorn as an example Hallahan had to win a Liston trophy before debuting) and to state otherwise is just impatient!
I knew you'd bite - you always do. Can't help being a fan of Dawes, and I can't agree that being Melbourne's second best player yesterday is simply down to the fact that he is now 'number one banana'. Melbourne supporters absolutely love him for his play and leadership.

I knew you'd bite - you always do. Can't help being a fan of Dawes, and I can't agree that being Melbourne's second best player yesterday is simply down to the fact that he is now 'number one banana'. Melbourne supporters absolutely love him for his play and leadership.
Broomhead is a jet. Melbourne supporters don't even know the rules of AFL and think that Chris Dawes is great at scoring tries. Dawes wouldn't get a game ahead of White, and we have Reid to come back in and Karnezis showing signs. This is why Scodog "bit".

Broomhead is a jet. Melbourne supporters don't even know the rules of AFL and think that Chris Dawes is great at scoring tries. Dawes wouldn't get a game ahead of White, and we have Reid to come back in and Karnezis showing signs. This is why Scodog "bit".
If you truly believe the bolded bit, then you are no expert on football. Scodog bites because it is his nature to do so. Broomhead in 2014 is a VFL player with a few ordinary games to his name after an injury riddled start to the year. If he is a 'jet', it's by reputation not performance.

Dawes has been great for the Dees since making his return from injury this year. I am actually happy for him as I always had a soft spot for Dawesome and was upset that he left.

But White is a better ruckman than Dawes, Reid is a better forward and Broomhead is talented and young. I still think it is a win:win

I must say I'm impressed that my opinions are strong enough that you need to bait me in order to pump up an old favourite! I also dislike opinions that run down our own players in order to acknowledge players at other clubs (Sam must agree considering your comments are never posted in the live chat
:thumbsu:). At the end of the day if you want to talk up Dawes we have an opposition game discussion thread for that.

Now to the rest of your rubbish. I never said that he was Melbourne's second best player yesterday as a result of being the number one banana I made that comment in general about his time with Melbourne and how he'll perform moving forward. At the end of the day he had a great game yesterday because he clunked some grabs and looked menacing. Chris Dawes will play some great football with them which he would have struggled to replicate at Collingwood because he is their go to man whereas we have Cloke, simple. Had he remained at Collingwood and had the same season with us as that he had with Melbourne in 2013 he would have had no trade value and we would be in no mans land with Lynch gone, no White and Dawes playing to 2011-2013 levels. We cashed in at the right time and traded him for fair value and both clubs are winners out of that deal.

I could never question his leadership, football brain and physicality what I could question was where that fit with Collingwood and the coaching staff agreed with that. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward (as the majority of Pies supporters do), he seems a genuinely good bloke and he is a great fit for their club. He just wasn't a good fit for us (as much as I hate to say it he might have been too much of an intellectual). There is currently a thread dedicated to Dawes on the main board you would do well to have a read of it because the vast majority of Demons posters are acknowledging it as a win-win trade!

Lastly, the only time I have been critical of Dawes post trade is when posters have defended him with absurd reasoning and bang on about it being a poor decision as you have done! Considering you know my posting enough to want to bait me you'd do well to notice that I rarely individualise by potting players and will always acknowledge when they turn a corner, Goldsack being a prime example.

Dawes has been great for the Dees since making his return from injury this year. I am actually happy for him as I always had a soft spot for Dawesome and was upset that he left.

But White is a better ruckman than Dawes, Reid is a better forward and Broomhead is talented and young. I still think it is a win:win
Dawes is now an on-field leader and a hero of Melbourne supporters. He will consistently make Melbourne's best players where White's name will only occasionally make our best's lists. Even if Buck's proves to be one of the great coaches of the modern age, I will still say that his treatment of a genuine club man in Dawes was insensitive, shabby and wrong. That is my opinion and I am entitled to hold it. :p

I must say I'm impressed that my opinions are strong enough that you need to bait me in order to pump up an old favourite! I also dislike opinions that run down our own players in order to acknowledge players at other clubs (Sam must agree considering your comments are never posted in the live chat
:thumbsu:). At the end of the day if you want to talk up Dawes we have an opposition game discussion thread for that.

Now to the rest of your rubbish. I never said that he was Melbourne's second best player yesterday as a result of being the number one banana I made that comment in general about his time with Melbourne and how he'll perform moving forward. At the end of the day he had a great game yesterday because he clunked some grabs and looked menacing. Chris Dawes will play some great football with them which he would have struggled to replicate at Collingwood because he is their go to man whereas we have Cloke, simple. Had he remained at Collingwood and had the same season with us as that he had with Melbourne in 2013 he would have had no trade value and we would be in no mans land with Lynch gone, no White and Dawes playing to 2011-2013 levels. We cashed in at the right time and traded him for fair value and both clubs are winners out of that deal.

I could never question his leadership, football brain and physicality what I could question was where that fit with Collingwood and the coaching staff agreed with that. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward (as the majority of Pies supporters do), he seems a genuinely good bloke and he is a great fit for their club. He just wasn't a good fit for us (as much as I hate to say it he might have been too much of an intellectual). There is currently a thread dedicated to Dawes on the main board you would do well to have a read of it because the vast majority of Demons posters are acknowledging it as a win-win trade!

Lastly, the only time I have been critical of Dawes post trade is when posters have defended him with absurd reasoning and bang on about it being a poor decision as you have done! Considering you know my posting enough to want to bait me you'd do well to notice that I rarely individualise by potting players and will always acknowledge when they turn a corner, Goldsack being a prime example.
Surely you don't think that my comment was posted solely to bait you?! You must think that I have the dullest life on earth that I would spend my days thinking up comments to incite a response from you! As for the live chat, I stated at the outset that I would only be submitting 'sycophantic' comments and questions. Surprisingly, the one and only question, and certainly the most critical of any I sent in, was one regarding Broomhead, and Sam posted it. One of our reports from the ground said that he was 'soft' and 'disinterested', so I was eager to get Sam's opinion.

Mate, fill me in on the private conversation Dawes had with Bucks so we can all see how insensitive it was. Dawes was a scarecrow and very out of form with us,glad he's doing we'll tho.
Dawes is now an on-field leader and a hero of Melbourne supporters. He will consistently make Melbourne's best players where White's name will only occasionally make our best's lists. Even if Buck's proves to be one of the great coaches of the modern age, I will still say that his treatment of a genuine club man in Dawes was insensitive, shabby and wrong. That is my opinion and I am entitled to hold it. :p
e

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you don't think that my comment was posted solely to bait you?! You must think that I have the dullest life on earth that I would spend my days thinking up comments to incite a response from you! As for the live chat, I stated at the outset that I would only be submitting 'sycophantic' comments and questions. Surprisingly, the one and only question, and certainly the most critical of any I sent in, was one regarding Broomhead, and Sam posted it. One of our reports from the ground said that he was 'soft' and 'disinterested', so I was eager to get Sam's opinion.

You were the one that chose to raise me biting so I honestly can't answer that...

At the end of the day we had discussions while you were under your previous alias about Dawes and his time at Collingwood and at some stage you have to move on whether you agree with the decision or not.

Admire Dawes from afar (like I do with an old favourite in Stanley), but always stand by your club first and foremost especially when it was a reasonable decision. We cop it enough from neutrals without eating our own...

Go and watch a few replays of Dawes in 2012. Dawes was told exactly how it was post 2012 and decided to walk.

Gotta disagree with this... I think the way the Dawes trade and whole situation happened and worked out does not reflect particularly well on the club actually. Now that he's not being used as a back up ruckman he is back to playing some very good footy as a key forward for Melbourne. It became pretty obvious that Dawes'' form had dropped significantly when he was lumbered with the "Leigh Brown role"... which the club seemed obsessed with. At some point I would have expected the club to acknowledge it was backfiring and revert to playing him as a second key forward... but they didn't .. instead they got 29 year old Lynch and told 23 year old Dawes there was no guarantee of a spot for him... so he left... Now we have Lynch (injured and about to retire) and Broomhead who have both completely underwhelmed. This is not a win-win... not for us by a long way... IF Broomhead becomes a useful player like Dawes IS at some stage then we will break even... at the moment no way are we ahead on this.

Gotta disagree with this... I think the way the Dawes trade and whole situation happened and worked out does not reflect particularly well on the club actually. Now that he's not being used as a back up ruckman he is back to playing some very good footy as a key forward for Melbourne. It became pretty obvious that Dawes'' form had dropped significantly when he was lumbered with the "Leigh Brown role"... which the club seemed obsessed with. At some point I would have expected the club to acknowledge it was backfiring and revert to playing him as a second key forward... but they didn't .. instead they got 29 year old Lynch and told 23 year old Dawes there was no guarantee of a spot for him... so he left... Now we have Lynch (injured and about to retire) and Broomhead who have both completely underwhelmed. This is not a win-win... not for us by a long way... IF Broomhead becomes a useful player like Dawes IS at some stage then we will break even... at the moment no way are we ahead on this.
Thank God someone else has a bit of moral fiber on this forum. Whatever good Buckley has done, it does not include getting rid of Dawes. And if any poster attempts to say yet again that Dawes was the one to squib it and walk away from the club I will not be responsible for my response. You are 100% correct. Broomhead has been underwhelming despite what he might become in the future and Kennedy just looks too small to be of real value at AFL level. Dawes was a great club man, a throwback to times past when players bled for the club.

Thank God someone else has a bit of moral fiber on this forum. Whatever good Buckley has done, it does not include getting rid of Dawes. And if any poster attempts to say yet again that Dawes was the one to squib it and walk away from the club I will not be responsible for my response. You are 100% correct. Broomhead has been underwhelming despite what he might become in the future and Kennedy just looks too small to be of real value at AFL level. Dawes was a great club man, a throwback to times past when players bled for the club.

I also liked Dawes and his attitude. It was such a shame that he put in such a stinker of a season. None of us really know what went down between he and Bucks. Perhaps it was Dawes' decision to seek a fresh start.

Do you know what the definition of win-win is? Both parties have walked away from the trade with a positive outcome. We traded out a player that had underperformed for 2 years in exchange for selection 20 in the draft that is the net outcome of the trade and a positive one for both the Demons and us.

What is it specifically that has lead to you labelling Broomhead underwhelming? What more could he have done after suffering from glandular fever early in 2013, pushing for selection late in the season and running out of games because our VFL team sucked balls? He then follows that up with a BOG plus 3 goals in just his second game back after 2 months on the sidelines and it isn't good enough for you.

Again I'll reiterate there is a % of supporters that are too impatient. They see the type of stuff that Langdon has been able to do in his first seven games and expect all our young recruits to be able to match that. What will we hear next? That we should have matched Carlton's offer for Daisy because Scharanberg hasn't played :drunk:

So Buckley said to Dawes that since they have traded for Lynch, Dawes will most likely be playing in VFL. Dawes was not happy with that scenario obviously so he asked if Collingwood would entertain a trade, to which they said yes. Rest is history.

Where in that scenario did Buckley or the club shaft Dawes? Dawes was performing pretty poorly since the 2010 year. He was dropping simple chest marks, don't tell me that was because he was being asked to ruck!!!

So Dawes has played a good game in 2 years, great for him & Melbourne but to say that we stuffed up that trade is complete nonsense.

I'm 100% confident that at the time of the move it was the right decision & we got fair compensation for him.

I also liked Dawes and his attitude. It was such a shame that he put in such a stinker of a season. None of us really know what went down between he and Bucks. Perhaps it was Dawes' decision to seek a fresh start.
Perhaps, and more likely given his loyalty to the club, Dawes was told to look elsewhere. That is what he said happened and I am inclined to believe him because he is a very genuine person. If I was told that Lynch had been recruited to play my role, I doubt that I would handle the situation with half the good grace that Dawes did. The club made two very poor recruiting decisions in drafting Lynch and Jordan Russell.

Perhaps, and more likely given his loyalty to the club, Dawes was told to look elsewhere. That is what he said happened and I am inclined to believe him because he is a very genuine person. If I was told that Lynch had been recruited to play my role, I doubt that I would handle the situation with half the good grace that Dawes did. The club made two very poor recruiting decisions in drafting Lynch and Jordan Russell.

If the option was there to stay and compete for his spot he would have it back by now. As I said, we don't know what the situation was.

Everyone one is an expert with the benefit of hindsight. You cannot nail every single trade/draft.

Lynch was best available free agent that was a like for like replacement for the kind of player we were looking for, the Leigh brown prototype.

I love how Dawes plays one good game in two years of footy & people are getting their knickers in a twist over it.

What are your thoughts about the Sharrod trade?

The game has moved past blokes who can only play one position, especially when the position is as a 2nd KPF. Your 2nd forward needs to be either be a swing man or be able to go in the ruck, neither Dawes can do.

Dawes is relishing being the main man at Melbourne, and good on him.

Do you know what the definition of win-win is? Both parties have walked away from the trade with a positive outcome. We traded out a player that had underperformed for 2 years in exchange for selection 20 in the draft that is the net outcome of the trade and a positive one for both the Demons and us.

What is it specifically that has lead to you labelling Broomhead underwhelming? What more could he have done after suffering from glandular fever early in 2013, pushing for selection late in the season and running out of games because our VFL team sucked balls? He then follows that up with a BOG plus 3 goals in just his second game back after 2 months on the sidelines and it isn't good enough for you.

Again I'll reiterate there is a % of supporters that are too impatient. They see the type of stuff that Langdon has been able to do in his first seven games and expect all our young recruits to be able to match that. What will we hear next? That we should have matched Carlton's offer for Daisy because Scharanberg hasn't played :drunk:
Broomhead played a very ordinary first half today and even Sam admitted such. Perhaps he was in the right spot at the right time in the second half.

It could also be argued that supporters and coaches were also too impatient with Dawes. He had already shown how effective he could be in 2010. Players don't just lose that kind of talent altogether. He is once again showing the same kind of form for Melbourne, only he has now added overhead marking to his repertoire. Not to mention on-field leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back