The End of the PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

I am glad that we can finally rid the world of PSD. Far too many have suffered for too long.

Down with PSD.

With DFA now in. PSD has no Reason to Exist.

AFL needs to Stop PSD anymore No Point

Good to see we can still rely on you for a rash, sweeping statement, mate ;)

Any thoughts on why it exists and why those reasons are no longer valid/how they can be replaced through other means?

Good to see we can still rely on you for a rash, sweeping statement, mate ;)

Any thoughts on why it exists and why those reasons are no longer valid/how they can be replaced through other means?

The Reason it Mostly Existed was that Players that where De-Listed could get onto a AFL Teams Senior List. Same thing happens with the De-Listed Free Agency

That's a good point.

It's also to provide leverage to players who are out of contract. If PSD is removed then out of contract players will be forced into the National Draft.
It's actually used as a tool to screw other clubs out of fair deals in the trade period.

If Carlisle chose Carlton as his preferred club, for example, we would have been screwed, and he would've been able to walk to Carlton for free through the PSD.

Forcing players into the National Draft means both the player and the opposition club need to work on fair trade deals; the player doesn't want to risk any of the other 16 clubs picking him up in the ND, and his destination club doesn't want to use up one of their early ND picks on such a player or run the risk of not getting that player at all.

With free agency and delisted free agency period, the PSD really doesn't have much purpose anymore.

I still think we need a fairer trade and free agency system before it goes all together.

It's not really that great a threat in trade week because it's highly unusual to have a very good player decide to leave to the wooden spooners.

If they do come up with a good fix for trades and free agency then it can go. Agree also about removing the rookie list. Just have cheaper and lesser contracts for late round picks.

This may sound like skullduggery, but is there any actual deadline or anything stopping a club changing their mind on this 5 minutes before the draft?

I know some clubs like Carlton like rolling with 38+6 and having the nominated rookies, but say they don't and blindside everyone else by taking 2 PSD picks, it basically gives them 1,2,3 in the rookie draft.

This may sound like skullduggery, but is there any actual deadline or anything stopping a club changing their mind on this 5 minutes before the draft?

I know some clubs like Carlton like rolling with 38+6 and having the nominated rookies, but say they don't and blindside everyone else by taking 2 PSD picks, it basically gives them 1,2,3 in the rookie draft.
Had they shown interest in the PSD then sure they or any other team with the list spots (by my count Carlton only have 1 main list spot) could've done that.

This year though they've all called the PSD off ahead of time, which I do think is a bit weird, how long does it take for every club with a spot to just enter passes tomorrow morning? So now that it's off I don't think they can ask for it back.

Carlton obviously believe that they are better off having pick 19 in the rookie draft and hoping their player is there for the taking rather than having to give a player a 2 year deal.

I do find it strange that not 1 club has a player they are very keen on and want to give a 2 year deal for. They obviously got most of their smokies out of the way in the last rounds of the ND.

Had they shown interest in the PSD then sure they or any other team with the list spots (by my count Carlton only have 1 main list spot) could've done that.

This year though they've all called the PSD off ahead of time, which I do think is a bit weird, how long does it take for every club with a spot to just enter passes tomorrow morning? So now that it's off I don't think they can ask for it back.

Carlton obviously believe that they are better off having pick 19 in the rookie draft and hoping their player is there for the taking rather than having to give a player a 2 year deal.

I do find it strange that not 1 club has a player they are very keen on and want to give a 2 year deal for. They obviously got most of their smokies out of the way in the last rounds of the ND.

ah yeah, it is 39 and 5 now with Matt Wright.

Point still stands though, if we are going to grab Nyuon as has been muted I'd think that the 2 year deal is necessary for someone that needs that much development anyway, so I would have preferred us take in the PSD pick and make sure no one cuts our lunch, and I posted as much earlier this afternoon.

As far as the PSD in general goes, we lose nothing by turfing it now.

Call me ignorant but why wouldn't that club just take him with their last pick in the ND and avoid taking the risk that another club steals him? I never really understood why clubs waited to the PSD for 18-19 year olds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me ignorant but why wouldn't that club just take him with their last pick in the ND and avoid taking the risk that another club steals him?

Players that do not qualify for DFA can nominate the ND and/or the PSD. Some players had a better chance to get to their club in the PSD.

With the new DFA/Free agency, not many players have gone down that path. Though some still don't qualify like when Lamb went psd pick 1 to GWS.

Players that do not qualify for DFA can nominate the ND and/or the PSD. Some players had a better chance to get to their club in the PSD.

With the new DFA/Free agency, not many players have gone down that path. Though some still don't qualify like when Lamb went psd pick 1 to GWS.

Yeh I get that part of it and that's fine. I guess an example that confuses me is Eddie Betts. Why did Carlton take him in the PSD and not the ND?

Yeh I get that part of it and that's fine. I guess an example that confuses me is Eddie Betts. Why did Carlton take him in the PSD and not the ND?

Clubs would sit down, look at their list, and have time to think about the picks. On draft night it happens so quick and have 2 minutes to make a decision.

If there is no standout late in the draft, a club can do a week extra work on players still available.

Clubs wouldn't be fully over every player in the draft.

Extra few days/week/even longer back in the day to scout players I guess? Remember how players used to train with clubs for a few weeks between the drafts, that would be pretty handy. You see a kid who's settling in really well and lapping up the training and he'll go up in your rankings compared to one who's struggling.

Most of the players likely to go through a pre-season draft in past get to another club via some form of free agency.
So basically the clubs have got the players they were keen on that were available. From memory the PSD worked in a way that the player nominates his contract conditions and any club that picks him has to satisfy those conditions that player set. It was basically for players that had not signed a new contract at their existing club. So in past someone like Lachie Henderson might have tried to get to Geelong through pre-season draft but a lot trickier as others clubs may draft you beforehand. The free agency in all it's forms reduces most of situations players likely to need pre-season draft for. Also the rookie draft got changed a few years back when guys like Ben Hudson and Heath Scotland played on in their careers on terms clubs wanted them to. Previously rookie draft was the domain of basically young untried talent that were no older than about 21. With the age open there in rookie draft guys like Jed Adcock will get drafted there instead of pre-season draft. However the pre-season draft means you are on the primary list. I think the PSD will still stay for rare situations but Carlton obviously were going to take Wright and both he and them simply organized a deal done straight after national draft.
Leunberger got to Essendon via free agency
Scott Selwood got to Geelong via free agency
Dawson Simpson got to GWS via free agency
Suckling got to Dogs via free agency.
Jarrad Grant got to Suns via a form of free agency.
Dan Gorringe got to Carlton via a form or free agency.
Moore got to Tigers via a form of free agency.
In past decades they probably would have found new clubs via pre-season draft.
Wright today got to Carlton via free agency.

Guys like Farren Ray and Jed Adcock now look like if they get to play on it will only be via rookie list conditions which is not ideal for them but this is the way the clubs are going it seems.

ah yeah, it is 39 and 5 now with Matt Wright.

Point still stands though, if we are going to grab Nyuon as has been muted I'd think that the 2 year deal is necessary for someone that needs that much development anyway, so I would have preferred us take in the PSD pick and make sure no one cuts our lunch, and I posted as much earlier this afternoon.

As far as the PSD in general goes, we lose nothing by turfing it now.

Perhaps we rate Mckenna good enough to be on the main list so we decided on 5 rookie spots so we can upgrade him next year and still keep him as a category B rookie with the same effect as being on the main list, but have an extra player. If that's the plan I like it, if not rather draft a player we're keen on in the PSD like you say though.

Thanks for the explanation guys. Just remembered as well, didn't the PSD used to be about one month afer the ND which makes perfect sense for clubs to get a better look at players and having them train with the club.

Thanks for the explanation guys. Just remembered as well, didn't the PSD used to be about one month afer the ND which makes perfect sense for clubs to get a better look at players and having them train with the club.

Yeah, i think so.

Also, just replying to an earlier post. The person that said Eddie Betts got taken in a pre-season draft were correct.
It is listed as part of 2005 pre-season draft which is after the national draft of 2004
Searching on wiki I see this in that off-season

2005 pre-season draft

Pick Player Recruited from Club
1 Trent Knobel St. Kilda Richmond
2 Blake Caracella Brisbane Lions Collingwood
3 Eddie Betts Calder Cannons Carlton
4 Lance Picioane Hawthorn Kangaroos
5 Jarrad Schofield Port Adelaide Fremantle
6 Ty Zantuck Richmond Essendon
7 Elijah Ware Central District Bulldogs Port Adelaide
8 Pass Richmond

Looking at that Knobel would probably use free agency if it existed back then and so would have Caracella, Picioane,
Schofield and Zantuck.

It was only Eddie Betts and Elijah Ware new to the AFL club scene via pre-season draft.
However that meant they went on the club proper playing list rather than rookie list.
Way better than getting in via rookie draft although the pre-season draft might mean it could be via one year contract and the national draft probably minimum is two ?

In the rookie draft some names that stick out are Josh Gibson getting to North,
and Danyle Pearce getting to Port, Clint Young getting to Hawks, Dale Morris getting to Dogs, Harry O'Brien getting to Pies, Jon Griffin getting to Crows, Matthew Warnock getting to Dees and Heath Grundy getting to Swans.

Yeah, i think so.

Also, just replying to an earlier post. The person that said Eddie Betts got taken in a pre-season draft were correct.
It is listed as part of 2005 pre-season draft which is after the national draft of 2004
Searching on wiki I see this in that off-season

2005 pre-season draft

Pick Player Recruited from Club
1 Trent Knobel St. Kilda Richmond
2 Blake Caracella Brisbane Lions Collingwood
3 Eddie Betts Calder Cannons Carlton
4 Lance Picioane Hawthorn Kangaroos
5 Jarrad Schofield Port Adelaide Fremantle
6 Ty Zantuck Richmond Essendon
7 Elijah Ware Central District Bulldogs Port Adelaide
8 Pass Richmond

Looking at that Knobel would probably use free agency if it existed back then and so would have Caracella, Picioane,
Schofield and Zantuck.

It was only Eddie Betts and Elijah Ware new to the AFL club scene via pre-season draft.
However that meant they went on the club proper playing list rather than rookie list.
Way better than getting in via rookie draft although the pre-season draft might mean it could be via one year contract and the national draft probably minimum is two ?

In the rookie draft some names that stick out are Josh Gibson getting to North,
and Danyle Pearce getting to Port, Clint Young getting to Hawks, Dale Morris getting to Dogs, Harry O'Brien getting to Pies, Jon Griffin getting to Crows, Matthew Warnock getting to Dees and Heath Grundy getting to Swans.

Caracella could not of because he only been at the Lions for 2-3 Seasons

Caracella could not of because he only been at the Lions for 2-3 Seasons

Probably could still. Remember there are different forms of free agency. He would not be an unrestricted free agent but possibly restricted in those circumstances such as Suckling leaving Hawks. De-listed frees agents is another form. If Lions and him part ways he would be de-listed anyway and free to sign up to another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back