Opinion The evolution of your 22 as the offseason progresses 2013/14 edition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldnt surprise at all given how their runners have chopped us up over the years, including last qtr in '13 game st home.

Yarran and Garlett will pose a threat round 1.
No Betts will help though, worry about him the week after lol.

They've got a few new faces of ours to contend with though, ditto Dale Thomas for them.

It would be good to give Harvey and Shaw another run to see how they perform with a good midfield passing the ball to them.
Yeh agree. With only two games to get the team balance right (incl. the Essendon game) the selected side will almost certainly contain the round 1 22 team, with Schulz the obvious exception.
Given Schulz will be out, Shaw or Harvey could have a decent chance to show what they can do. Couldn't see both of them getting the opportunity though.

Would love Flynn to get another run.
What are the odds of the Irishman getting a debut this year? Would love to see him for DT/SC/FF purposes but because we're aiming for finals think he'll spend a year & a bit in the SANFL but he'll likely get a crack next year.

Agree it was a good question I hope all is well with Daniels family back in the Emerald Isle.

What are the odds of the Irishman getting a debut this year? Would love to see him for DT/SC/FF purposes but because we're aiming for finals think he'll spend a year & a bit in the SANFL but he'll likely get a crack next year.

Agree it was a good question I hope all is well with Daniels family back in the Emerald Isle.
As exciting a prospect he is, he's a long way off IMO.

Physically ready... His footy brain is not. Just need the boy to learn.

Agree on physically & footy brain, it's a shame because his skills are great for someone so foreign to our game.

Can't wait to follow his & a few others development at the Maggie's, having all our players in the same SANFL team is something I've been waiting a long time for.

Dat first SANFL showdown, hopefully it leads to a clean sweep :thumbsu:

I will lol if white is sub in rd 1
As humorous as it may be to everyone bar White it's probably almost a certainty to happen if he's in the best 22.

He came here for more game time well we will likely play him in our best 22 but I see him as a cleaner slightly more dangerous version of Mitchell in the super sub role on/off with Impey & the Hoon.

We sure as hell won't be starting the Pole-cat as the sub after what he's shown in the preseason.

I wonder if we'll play a few more kids and fringe players against St Kilda. Players like Stevenson, Heath, Newton, Amon, Harvey, Shaw, and Impey may get a call up at some stage depending on form and injuries so you'd want them to get as much experience of our game plan as possible.

Nope, best 22 minus Trengove and Redden. Maybe minus Polec also as everyone has missed one match bar him. Then from 22-26 would be Impey, Amon, Newton and S.Gray (if Mitchell is unfit and Sam is fit) for me thankyou.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Newton in the Round 1 team with a good showing against St. Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

League
FB: Jonas, Carlile, O'Shea
HB: Broadbent, Trengove, Heath
C: Hartlett, Ebert, Colhoqun
HF: Stewart, Butcher, Westhoff
FF: Monfries, Schulz, Redden
Fol: Lobbe, Boak, Wines
Int: Wingard, Pittard, Moore
Sub: Cornes

Reserves
FB: Logan, Hombsh, Flynn
HB: Stevenson, Clurey, Casissi
C: Mitchell, Newton, White
HF: Hitchcock, Shaw, Polec
FF: Neade, McCarthy, Ah Chee
Fol: Renouf, Young, Amato
Int: ............
Update

League
HB: Broadbent, Trengove, Impey
C: Hartlett, Ebert, Polec
HF: Wingard, Butcher, Westhoff
FF: Monfries, Schulz, Stewart
Int: Cornes, Pittard, Moore
Sub: Newton

Reserves
C: Mitchell, Summerton, Venter
HF: Hitchcock, Shaw, Young
FF: Neade, Harvey, Hareen
Fol: Renouf, S.Gray, M.Motlop
Int: Buggermann, Slattery, Heath

Nope, best 22 minus Trengove and Redden. Maybe minus Polec also as everyone has missed one match bar him. Then from 22-26 would be Impey, Amon, Newton and S.Gray (if Mitchell is unfit and Sam is fit) for me thankyou.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Newton in the Round 1 team with a good showing against St. Kilda.

I think Newton has a few too many players ahead of him to start in round 1 but he'd certainly get game time later this year. Cassisi, Clurey, and Hombsch all played against the crows so they might be given a rest as well.

Update

League
HB: Broadbent, Trengove, Impey
C: Hartlett, Ebert, Polec
HF: Wingard, Butcher, Westhoff
FF: Monfries, Schulz, Stewart
Int: Cornes, Pittard, Moore
Sub: Newton

Reserves
C: Mitchell, Summerton, Venter
HF: Hitchcock, Shaw, Young
FF: Neade, Harvey, Hareen
Fol: Renouf, S.Gray, M.Motlop
Int: Buggermann, Slattery, Heath

No Matty White, someone is going to be unlucky playing twos and someone else is going to be more unlucky playing Reserves when they're good enough for Leauge footy at another Club.

I think Newton has a few too many players ahead of him to start in round 1 but he'd certainly get game time later this year. Cassisi, Clurey, and Hombsch all played against the crows so they might be given a rest as well.

Yeah he could very easily be the unlucky one, but I think he has progressed so far in SANFL football he needs the next level! He is class and will hold up well in the next tier. I think this year isn't about winning finals football but rather finding the next bunch after Cassisi, Cornes and Logan. Newton, Colhoqun and those will probably get an early run to give them the opportunity to make the spot their own!

I really think he is a long way off. Exciting prospect sure but a footy brain isn't something you can get after player 1-2 years of SANFL footy. Remember that AFL players have spent most of their lives around football in some sense, and flynny has had none of that. I personally think he won't debut until 2016 at best

I still don't see how Ben Newton catapults into anyone's best 22. Decent depth if we need it, but Youngy's had a good pre-season and has runs on the board.
Even then, Young is on the periphery of our best 22 midfield.

Port Adelaide (AFL):
B: Tom Jonas ~ Jackson Trengove ~ Jasper Pittard
HB: Cameron O'Shea ~ Alipate Carlile ~ Matthew Broadbent
C: Brad Ebert ~ Oliver Wines ~ Kane Cornes
HF: Justin Westhoff ~ John Butcher ~ Robbie Gray
F: Chad Wingard ~ Jay Schulz ~ Angus Monfries
R: Matthew Lobbe ~ Travis Boak ~ Hamish Hartlett
IC: Domenic Cassisi ~ Jarred Polec ~ Andrew Moore
Sub: Matthew White/Jarman Impey

I think thats your side for round one.

Kane Cornes to M.Murphy

Im surprised Renouf has done so much ruck work leaving Lobbe with not much game time there ahead of round one. No way They can have all 5 Lobbe, Renouf, Westhoff, Butcher and Schultz though. So either Butcher or Renouf misses and Butcher did quite well today.

Impey vs White for the sub position. White might not get up for round one with a niggle and him being at 80-90% might not be as good as Impey at 100%.

Quite a better side than Carlton IMO especially considering they have Carrazzo and Judd missing. I think Mclean copped an injury aswell so wont play either and Kreuzer seems a run short as will Henderson. Cant see you guys losing but it is round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back