Votes: 28 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Footyfan85

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
There was talk that if Danger wanted success he might choose Collingwood but if he wanted to go home then Geelong. But whose future is looking brighter.

Obviously as a cats supporter I'm confident about my team...

Geelong youngsters really starting to gel with consistency and not relying on older guys. Today...
Selwood 27, 2 goals
Caddy 29, 1 goal
Guthrie 28, 2 goals
Motlop 29,1
Murdoch 22
Walker 5 goals

Kolo, Thurlow Blicavs and Lang good signs. Bews has been good. Cocky raw still. Clark and Stanley injury doubts but quality.

Taylor and Hawkins and Duncan to be around for years to come!

Scott Selwood almost certain to come, Danger odds on, Henderson 50/50.

Haters can hate but our future is looking very good!! Commentators finally starting to see what I've seen!

Obviously arguments for Pies too. What do neutrals think?

We have a lot more youth, had another 3 players in their first 4 games today, all high draft picks.

I think that you guys will have us for the next 1-2 years but for a sustained period of success from 2017+ i'm almost certain that we will be stronger.

But of course the bias is strong here.

• Banned
We have a lot more youth, had another 3 players in their first 4 games today, all high draft picks.

I think that you guys will have us for the next 1-2 years but for a sustained period of success from 2017+ i'm almost certain that we will be stronger.

But of course the bias is strong here.
Always some bias though!

I made the poll because I think there is promise for both.

Pies a great chance for good success

The Pies. Plenty of elite young talent compared to the Cats who I wouldn't say have anyone elite that is 21 or under.
But a few around 22-23.
Caddy, Motlop are elite talent.
Duncan elite talent too and not just potential anymore.
Guthrie looks very very good too.
Blicavs (not sure age) has the potential to be anything.
With already elite talent at all ends with Taylor, Selwood and Hawkins with years left, there is a lot to love.

A POTENTIAL midfield of
Selwood (27), Danger (25), Duncan (24), Caddy (22) and Scott Selwood (25)
Is something to look forward to for 5 years to come at least!

The Pies. Plenty of elite young talent compared to the Cats who I wouldn't say have anyone elite that is 21 or under.

So Collingwood have "plenty" of elite young talent 21 or under while Geelong have none? They've got a bunch of young kids with some talent but how many obviously better than Lang, Thurlow, Gregson, Cockatoo and Kolodjashnij? I'm not saying that Geelong group are stars but there's no way Collingwood have more than a couple obviously more talented than all those guys (frankly even that's stretching it).

It seems once again if a Collingwood kid has a decent game they're suddenly a superstar in the making. In contrast Geelong kids come in and get no recognition for ages until suddenly guys like Motlop, Blicavs, Duncan and Caddy are actually really good players. Oh well keep underestimating our kids. It makes any success all the more enjoyable.

Geelong, by the length of the Great Wall of China ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies for me, but I haven't got as much faith in their depth of talent as I did at the start of the year.

It'll be big for them if they can get Scharenberg and Freeman signed and out on the park. De Goey looks like a good pick, Moore is a beauty and Kennedy/Broomhead just need time.

Really big fan of the way they've handled the transition, even Bucks doesn't get near enough credit from my perspective.

If they get Treloar and Aish as is rumoured (but highly unlikely), be afraid.

I like Cats and Pies youth. Sometimes potential materialises into a star, sometimes it doesn't.
Cats in a very interesting phase with their star older brigade who are helping the younsters thru.
Pies not so much top end talent and probably more question marks on their youth, but they have more of it.
Don't think either will languish near the bottom like Carlton will but everything will have to go right drafting/recruiting wise to challenge.

*Unfortunately GWS have about 25 promising youngsters, we have 5 to 10.
GWS can continue to trade some out for high picks or experienced players over the next few years.
What did Carlton give them for Jaksch & Whiley - Pick 7.
Got Pick 6 and Griffin for Boyd etc etc etc.

It's the gift that will just keep giving. They'll have to mismanage it horribly not to dominate.

My favourite youngish players for the cats are:

Duncan, Murdoch, Caddy, Motlop, Thurlow and Blicavs

While my favourite youngish players for Collingwood are:

Steele, Adams, Elliott, Frost, Broomhead and Moore.

I do prefer the cats group. I'm not a huge fan of Collingwood's top picks in 2013 if i'm honest. 2014 draft loot was a cracker though.

Tough, they're at different stages with Geelong having a lot of older players.

I like Collingwood atm, they just need to add some polish to their work which you would hope will come with a bit more time.

My favourite youngish players for the cats are:

Duncan, Murdoch, Caddy, Motlop, Thurlow and Blicavs

While my favourite youngish players for Collingwood are:

Steele, Adams, Elliott, Frost, Broomhead and Moore.

I do prefer the cats group. I'm not a huge fan of Collingwood's top picks in 2013 if i'm honest. 2014 draft loot was a cracker though.

Well with Major Injuries to Freeman and Schranberg. They had not a Real Chance to Show what they can offer

Well with Major Injuries to Freeman and Schranberg. They had not a Real Chance to Show what they can offer
i'm speaking more of my pre draft views on them. MS i liked but didn't really see as a future star, more just a clever footballer, was a bit of a sure thing talent wise. Freeman was never really on my radar

i'm speaking more of my pre draft views on them. MS i liked but didn't really see as a future star, more just a clever footballer, was a bit of a sure thing talent wise. Freeman was never really on my radar

MS was very highly rated in the Industry as some had him as high as 2nd Best Prospect pre-feet Issues.

Freeman was one I think just rose thru the Ranks all Year

Don't have a good handle on Collingwood's list, but as for Geelong:

I'm very confident the following will play 200+, and have the skills to figure at some point or another in the top 50 players in the comp:

- Blicavs
- Thurlow
- Lang
- Kolodjashnij

I need to see a little bit more of the following, but am optimistic:

- Gregson
- Cockatoo
- Bews (probably a rung down class-wise, but has the tools to play an important role well)

While the following are 24 or under:

Duncan (24)
Motlop (24)
Guthrie (23)
Caddy (22)

Coming along better than expected given our weak draft position between 2007 and 2014

Does anyone have elite players that are 21 or under? Or are you referring to very subjective 'elite potential' tag?
Jesse Hogan? Bontempelli? Stringer? Cripps?

Back